iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Turkey Call I.D.

Started by Jeff, May 02, 2002, 07:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I used a special wood for the strikers for the last bunch of turkey calls I made. What do you think this is? It grows here, and I reckon most of the eastern U.S.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

bjorn

Yellow Wood?  Looks like Mulberry.

Jeff

nope.

Some pieces have a green color.

Tom

Green......hmmmmm.  Gotta be Poplar

Jeff

Tom

well, that's the only "green" wood I know of around here.  It looks like  it could be China berry or Red bud or Black willow.  I've seen each of them look kinda like that picture.  Just shooting in the dark but fast running out of ideas. :-/

CHARLIE

This is definitely the heartwood of Yellow Birch also known as Silver Birch or Swamp Birch (Betula alleghaniensis Britton) 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jeff

wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong :)

Bibbyman

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

CHARLIE

Bibbyman, Osage Orange was my first thought...but my tree book only shows it growing down in the Texas area.

OK Jeff!  My next answer is Sassafrass.  It grows in Michigan, but I didn't mention it 'cause my map doesn't show it growing in the UP area.  :P
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jeff

I don't live in the U.P.! So.... Your still wrong.

O.k. Big hint according to the Audubon Eastern Field guide.

"The only shrub or tree species native to all 48 contiguous states."

"Raw young sprouts were eaten by the indians as salad"

CHARLIE

I didn't know dandelions were that woody! :D  Where's my DanG book! :P
Charlie

CHARLIE

OK Jeff.....that has to be the wood from a Hawthorn, or haw, or Red haw, or Thorn, or Thorn-apple. ::) :P :P  Could be Buckhorn too but I'll stick with Hawthorn. ::)
Charlie

Jeff

Hawthorn! Yep Charlie, thats wrong too. ;D

Jeff

Last clues.

Cashew Family
Those Indians better have picked the right variety.

Ron Scott

Jeff,

How about a picture of the turkey calls you make?
~Ron

Jeff

Here is one thats unsanded and unfinished, one of the last remaining.I am in the process of building a new batch with figured maple bodies and western red cedar sound boards. I will try one with eastern that I got from Tom, but I am afraid that that Florida wood just aint got what it takes. The Growth rings are just to wide. The small amount of western red I have has up to 30 rings per inch. I sawed the lumber last year, and just took it down to my brother in laws this week so I could start cutting out the blanks.

I plan on selling them on-line, and also using them as freebies and contest prizes on the forum. They will have a Forestry Forum Label on them.

L. Wakefield

All I can think of is poke salad, and that's not wood no matter how old it gets.   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Bud Man

The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Jeff

Bud Man you old Dog. Correct!  I knew a Turkey call wood bring you out of the woods. ;)

So you now know at least on product made form Sumac, although one 3 inch Sumac will give me all the stikers I need.

Ron Scott

Jeff,

Save me one of your turkey calls. Another one of your "many talents" we weren't aware of. When your we talking about a strikers, I thought you were making slate calls, but I see they are wood.

I'm somewhat of a collector of turkey calls as I have a bag full of them to throw everything at the turkeys. Also some are just nice pieces of wood from different makers. I call alot when I'm in the woods marking timber etc. to locate birds.
~Ron

bjorn

bjorn

Woops!  I Guess I'm a little slow today.  Perhaps I should read the posts before I post!

Bud Man

I may be an Old Dog and I may be slow, but there ain't a lot of wasted motion !  ;)  The Cashew clue may it easy.
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Thank You Sponsors!