iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bandsaw Blade Sharpeners

Started by Gord From Emsdale ON, February 18, 2005, 07:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gord From Emsdale ON

Good evening to all.

I'm new here and to sawing lumber, I bought a LumberMate 2000 and will be using WoodMizer blades & was wondering what brand of sharpener would be best to buy.

Norwood's sharpener didn't turn my crank any, I wanted something a bit more than an over priced dremel on a fancy stand. There sharpener & setter is $1390 Canadian & I saw another  system at  linnlumber.com for $900. US for the pair, that is $1112. Canadian, it looks to be a better system that the Norwood Model.

Thanks for you help and opinions.

..Gord

Brad_S.

Welcome to the forum Gord.

I use a Cat's Claw sharpener from Cook Manufacturing. Very good but pricey for a part timer. :o
www.cookssaw.com
Have you considered Wood Mizers resharp program?

You might also want to read this:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=9256.0
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Tom

welcome to the forum, Gord.

I wasn't impressed with the  sharpener from Norwood, either.  It wasn't the Dremel that turned me off so much as it was the little "diamond" wheel.  A friend of mine has one and has never been able to get it to do a decent job.  The wheels are expensive and their longevity is short.

I've used a Woodmizer sharpener for 15 years.  It uses an aluminum oxide stone, for about 12 dollars or so, and it lasts for several hundred sharpening.  It might be said "you have to shape those wheels", but I think of it more like "I get to shape the wheel."   It's important that the gullet of your blade be properly shaped for strength and sawdust removal.

The Woodmizer sharpener and Cook's sharpener are of the same basic designs.  Woodmizer uses a coolant (water) and a hard wheel, while Cook uses a softer wheel and grinds dry.

These two would be my first choice for sharpening bands.

bberry

I can sharpen manually at 10 degrees blades for my LM mark 3 and wouldn't think of spending big bucks unless I was going to be sawing commercialy. My sharpener was only $100. It takes a little practice but it takes just a light touch and sharp. Heavy pressure =blued edges-bad. Easy to own and use. I also have the manual setter which was also very basic. I too felt the Norwood sharpener was too much for my hobby needs. I use a paint marker to mark and id each sharp blade. I then spray them with wd-40 and put them in a dry area to prevent rust. I'll do 5 or 6 on a rainy morning just dubbing around. Fun. I also sharpen my 20 in grizzly planer manually as well. Very easy. Just make sure setup is correct.

Tom_Averwater

there was a used vollmer 175  liliput saw grinder in TMS magizine for $ 900.. It is a heavy duty saw shop type grinder. I recently bought 2 used ones from my local saw shop. Overwest saw in Canada listed several used small band grinders on their web site.  Hope this helps. Tom
He who dies with the most toys wins .

chet

Wecome aboard Gord.  :)  Lots of good info and fellowship here, pull up a seat and look around. We have a bunch of Norwood owners here including myself.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Clarke Sawmills

Hi Gord:  We at Clarke Sawmills in Lindsay  have  a great sharpener and setter system we use for are  customers needs. We sell alot of them and are customers are very happy with the job these units perform!.Call us or email if you want further imfo.....Donna

Gord From Emsdale ON

Wow, lots of replies, thanks a lot to all for your advise. Being a hobby cutter, for now, I think I'll stick with the WoodMizer resharp program, they quoted me $9. (Canadian),a blade, plus shipping both ways. Maybe next summer I'll be able to afford a good one. Right now I don't have $2-3000 to put into a sharpener.

Thanks again for the help, It sure is appreciated.

..Gord

PA_Walnut

Anyone able to comment/compare/contrast the Cooks sharpener and Set tool compared to WoodMizer's offerings?
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

irvi00

I dont know how to link to another thread. But look up the thread I started a couple months ago titled "cooks sharpener". Tons of good info in there.

Roxie

Say when

Mountain_d

Quote from: Gord From Emsdale ON on February 19, 2005, 07:36:07 PM
Wow, lots of replies, thanks a lot to all for your advise. Being a hobby cutter, for now, I think I'll stick with the WoodMizer resharp program, they quoted me $9. (Canadian),a blade, plus shipping both ways. Maybe next summer I'll be able to afford a good one. Right now I don't have $2-3000 to put into a sharpener.

Thanks again for the help, It sure is appreciated.

..Gord
Gord, could you supply a phone number for the Woodmizer blade sharpen service for $9 a blade. I may want to use that also. Thanks. Mountain.
1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

Thank You Sponsors!