iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bush pile burning

Started by redpowerd, February 17, 2005, 08:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redpowerd

a while ago in a baileys catalog i saw a method of burning bush piles quickly and easily by using a sheet like product you lay over the pile. ive since thrown the catalog away and cannot find anything on their website. anyone know what this stuff is called or where i can get some?
thanks
jon
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Norm

What no diesel fuel handy. ;D

Go to baileys online catalog and type in this product number in their search.   16111 or 16112

If you call tell em they need to become a sponsor here with all the free plugs they get.  ;)

Corley5

You didn't start your pile on a coupla old tires ;)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Frickman

Yep, old tires and diesel fuel work good. I try to find some old, old tires that have started to deteriorate/rot, that way the fire doesn't make as much black smoke.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Frank_Pender

Red,  ;D basically all we do around here is cover  a good share of the pile with some plastice  and when  fire season arrives torch  off the pile. ;D
Frank Pender

redpowerd

i dont like to use tires, i save them for stumps in feilds, the steel is a pain to clean up and i dont want it in my woods. in the feild we just bury the stuff where the stump was. i was just talking about the stuff and need to back it up somehow, and i was interested in the price.
thanks guys.
thanks for the lead, norm.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Jeff

As far as I know, using a tire in Michigan could cost you more then hiring the brush pile hauled away and disposed of.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Frickman

Jeff,

We're really not supposed to use tires here either, but the farmers can still get away with it occasionally. I try to burn at daybreak on a very foggy morning, preferably Saturdays. The fog hides the smoke and most of our local troublemakers don't get out of bed until 9 or 10.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Ron Scott

Risky use of tires. ::) As Jeff said the fines for burning tires are pretty stiff here. Not only from the DNR, but from the Feds and local ordinances also. After the fine, the "environmental clean-up" costs can really hurt.  ::)
~Ron

Corley5

You're not supposed to but if you wait till after dark nobody knows the difference ;).

Jeff

unless you have a DEQ employee you dont know about living downwind...

Corley5

;)  Dark, calm nights and the smoke goes straight up :-X.  Of course the law doesn't see it this way but I'd rather see a couple tires burnt here and there rather than being thrown out in the woods to be mosquito breeding grounds.  Or go into some great big mountain of tires that accidentally catches on fire ::) :(

farmerdoug

I think in Michigan all you can burn in an open bonfire is natural materials like grass, branches, wood(as logs) and stumps.  You cannot burn any manmade or processed materials like rubber, plastic, skids, lumber, slabs, sawdust, paper, etc.
Heck, even the fire department will jump you.  Ask the companies fined for burning pallets or house building debris.
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Corley5

Where is Fargo, Mi ???  Can't say as I've heard of it but whose ever heard of Wolverine ;D

Jeff

Wolverine is an easy one. Not may people go there, but a lot bloe by the well marked !-75 exit. :D  I never heard of Fargo either.

Corley5

Quote from: Jeff B on February 17, 2005, 05:40:21 PM
Wolverine is an easy one. Not may people go there, but a lot bloe by the well marked !-75 exit. :D I never heard of Fargo either.
That's the way we like it ;) ;D

sprucebunny

Some people around here are making " Wildlife Habitat Piles " from some of thier brush. I realize this isn't always possible...
Here is a link to a local Forester's website showing some of thier work.

http://www.teamebm.com/mark/mark.htm
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

farmerdoug

Do you guys know where Port Huron is?  I am 18 miles northwest of Port Huron near a town called Yale.  I graduated from Yale(high school that is).  That sounds great does it not? 

I have passed by Wolverine also.  I will have to make an effort to stop there sometime.
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Jeff

Sure, we know where Port Huron is. One of our biggest lumber customers years ago was not far from you in Marine City.  Don't forget to stop in Harrison first if you come north on 127~! :)

Dangerous_Dan

I have gotten the "open burning permit" from the state here in NJ.  It costs $50. a year and you need to be a farm.
They need to come to your farm and inspect you proposed "safe burning area" before issuing the permit.
You must call before each fire to alert the firewatch tower and the only thing that you are "allowed" to burn is "orchard trimmings" and specifically no stumps.  >:( OK  ;)
Burning must be done between 6 am and 6 pm or sunset.
The fire must be out before leaving. (They say if you put water on it and it smokes - it's NOT out.)
In my opinion its a total waste of time. We made some really big fires with whole logs piled 15 feet high and 40 feet long. Takes 10 gal of diesel to start it and it wants to burn for days.
Too many complaints from neighbors in nearby developments to the FD that burning embers were landing on their house from my fire. Plus enough smoke to stop traffic on my street. The FD stopped by to tell me about the complaints, asked them if I had to do anything different, they said "Nope, no problem."
I found it's not worth the time and bad publicity for my farm to use open burning for wood waste disposal.  NJ has too many enviromental cry babies that are itching to make a complaint about something, thinking they are "saving the enviroment".  These people know nothing about farming or how a fire effects the enviroment. (Same amount of CO2 is released from rotting wood)
The best way for me has been throw it all in a big tubgrinder and sell the mulch for $10 a yard.   What in the past took 2-3 days to burn, I can grind up in 1 day and sell for cash to a never ending stream of landscapers in my area. No complaints and cash in hand.  ;D

First you make it work, then you trick it out!

Ron Scott

Quoteunless you have a DEQ employee you dont know about living downwind...
Or the infa red surveillance aircraft overhead. :'(
~Ron

Corley5

Stop by anytime :) :)  I always enjoy a good visit

redpowerd

boy, i feel pretty spoiled, we have massive massive tire fires to clean these feilds of stumps. even on a moonlit night, no one sees it and no one cares and everyone eats their sinkers in the morning and talks about what smelled last night.
this forum is weird, i ask a question about some kinda firepaper and we talk about tire fires, talkin about how they can get away with pyro or how pyro gets away with them. just kiddin, i know we all love wood, we hate to see it burn. ::)

burning tires makes me sick, theres a bunch of heat in them suckers and they are allways free, i dont enjoy burning tires, but when they do a job, let them work, and lets have a beer while they help me procrastinate. the fire dept gets mad when i grass burn 400 acres or flue burn my chim a ne, i should join the fire dept. they get nuff jokes from me.

so whats that paper called?

by the way, all good stuff on your own local laws, if i ever move there, ill know ;D

NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Dangerous_Dan

It's called "Clean burn kraft rolls"
Page 123 in the 2005 Bailey's catalog.

part number 16111  4' x 300'  roll  $29.99

part number 16112  6' x 300'  roll  $39.99

First you make it work, then you trick it out!

Ironwood

I burn brush and tree debris here in western Pa. We can burn every Saturday from 8am to 12noon. I let the pile dry a bit and then start it with a very large propane torch on high. This gets the heat up fast and keeps the smoke down. Many clearing firms use BIG blowers to wip the piles in to glowing masses of hot embers much like a blacksmiths forge. A venturi effect. They consume huge quantities of brush and logs cleanly and quickly.
   Our 20 acres abuts a town and I try to be considerate as much as possible, no one wants to smell smoldering crap in the air. I've been known to stop and cuss out old timers for burning their leaves. It can be rainy soaking wet and for some reason people think creating sooo much smoke is OK. One day i couldn't even see to drive.   ::)REID
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!