iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Member Checking In

Started by Tom Sawyer, February 17, 2005, 02:33:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

I have been reading this forum with great interest for a couple of weeks now.  Great info and great stories (can't say the same about some of the spelling though! ;D).  I don't have a mill right now but I used to work for a guy with a WM LT40HD for a couple of years before I took my family to work overseas (can anyone guess which country by the flag in the corner?).  I am now thinking about returning to Canada (southern Ontario) and buying a mill and setting up a business.  Many of my questions have been answered already so I won't repeat them.  I do have one about the advantages of a WM LT70 over the LT40 Super, especially since I will likely be doing most of my cutting either alone, or with inexperienced help.  Is it possible to take advantage of the potential increase in production in this situation?

Tom

Percy

Heya Tom Sawyer(neat handle)
Welcome to the FF. I first owned a 96 LT40 with a 35 hp gas engine. In 2003 I bought a new LT70 42 hp remote. As far as feed rate goes, my LT70 is a bit quicker but not huge. The 97 and up Supers feed rate are probably the same as the 70. Where the LT70 shines is the speed at which it gets to the next task. The turner is  a joy and is much faster but takes time to learn compared to an LT40's turner. Ive had my LT70 for nearly two years and am still learning new tricks on it. Hangups are rare on the vertical log supports/backstops and when they do happen they are easily dealt with. The dragback is about the biggest time saver, specially if you have a receiving table/conveyor/whatever that deals with the flitch/board while the sawyer gets on with the next cut/log turning/etc.   With an edger and receiving table and a loader/tractor of some sort and alot of room to manover, two experienced people can make a  decent pile of lumber in a day.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=3664.0

Anyhow ,c'mpn back to Canada and start makin boards ya??? ;D ;D ;D
Later
Percy
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

DR_Buck

Welcome Tom,

Be sure and tell your buddy "Huck Finn" we say hi.   ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Bibbyman

Welcome Tom Sawyer,

We've got the LT40HDE25 Super.  Have seen the LT70 a number of times.  The LT70 has a number of improved features and head and mast is built heavier with a new design that looks to be easier to maintain and change blades.

Just my opinion - Unless you have the support equipment,  3 pepole running it,  and enough big logs to feed it,  an LT40 Super would work just fine.

You'll just have to deal with the spelling around here. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

sigidi

Well Tom,

I'd just like to say G'day and welcome, keep an eye out for a whole heap of good stuff.

As for ya question - sorry mate I can't help ya out on that one, but you will find lots of folkes round here who can. ;)
Always willing to help - Allan

redpowerd

stick around this here classroom and youll find all ya need to know. welcome

if ya move into ontario there, come by for a visit, just watch all them tractors blocking the prescott bridge :D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

iain

Cannukies to the left of us  cannukies to the left of us (and an honoury one asleep in the spare room :D)

welcome

iain

Tom Sawyer

Thanks for the welcome.  If we do decide to return to Canada it would not be for at least another year or more.  I have to finish what I have started here first!  From what I have been reading it sounds like starting with a LT40 Super and maybe upgrade later to the 70.  I think I have my wife convinced that this could work, so we will see!

Tom

Minnesota_boy

Tom Sawyer,
Ontario is a fairly large province that stretches from Quebec to Manitoba, so just where in Ontario might you land?   You could be 100 miles from me or 1000 miles. :o :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Tom Sawyer

Minnesota boy,

I will be in Southern Ontario, about 1.5 hours SW of Toronto.  That's more likely 1000 miles from you ::)  You are right about the size of Ontario.  My wife is from BC (Abbotsford), so we have made a few trips across the western half of Canada.  From where we lived in Ontario the first half of the trip was all in Ontario.  Once you got to Manitoba you are halfway there!

OneWithWood

Welcome Tom Sawyer.  How is life in Kyrgyzstan?  What are you doing there?
1.5 hours SW of Toronto puts you in an area where I have a lot of relatives.  Nice countryside.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

leweee

Welcome Tom Sawyer ;D(nice handle) I'm  about 2 hrs. south of Toronto ,more or less in the same neck of the woods , so to speak ;D ;D ;D Looking forward to seeing another tree on the members map close by.Play safe & come home soon. :) :)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

farmerdoug

How far are you from Sarnia?  It is just across tI may have travelld right by your place.he bridge from Port Huron which is 18 miles east southeast of me.  We go ice fishing to Lake Simcoe ussually every year but will not make it this year.  I may have travelled right by your place.
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

tnlogger

i'm alittle late on this but welome to the forum  Tom Sawyer  :D :D
                                                                                         gene
gene

Tom Sawyer

Onewithwood:  Where are your relatives?  I grew up about 15 minutes north of Stratford and tend to call that home even though Kyrgyzstan is on the other side of the world.  I am working with a community development project here, training Kyrgyz people how to plan, manage, and run a project so that they can do it on their own.

lewee:  Where is Lowbanks?  I have never heard of it ???  Like I said, it will be another year at least before we get back to Canada, but we sure do miss it.

farmerdoug:  Stratford is still a couple of hours east of Sarnia, about halfway to Toronto from the bridge.

Clarke Sawmills

Hi Tom:  I'm a new Canadian member as well.  Do you know were Lindsay is?  We are one and a half hours drive NE of Toronto[The capital of Ontario for all you US folks who didn't know]  Lindsay is within the City of Kawartha Lakes a new title our area just recently was renamed.  Our area has alot of lovely clean lakes and is a very busy tourist area in the summer.We also have great soil for farming with gentle rolling landscapes. The city of Peterborough is near us and perhaps better well known.We sell alot of sawmills to the local folks as we have some great wooded areas in our part of Ontario.....Donna

Tom Sawyer

Donna,

I  haven't been to your part of Ontario, but my sister lived in Peterborough for a few years.  Your post makes me want to check it out though! :)  I am more used to the farmland of southwestern Ontario.

twostroke_blood

Bad Spelling? I resemble that remark... :D :D :D Welcome Tom. im fairly new myself. Ive been hanging out in the Chainsaw Forum, but i just purchased a Hud-son Sawmill. This Forum is unbeliveably informative. Good Luck

devo

Don't forget to check out the Ottawa valley. Generally land is pretty cheap around here, and there's still a few trees left I haven't gotten to ..... yet. ;D
Crazy enough to try it! (once)

Clarke Sawmills

Devo:  Once you get going with that new Clarke sawmill you will be  really be making some sawdust fly !!!.........Donna

leweee

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on February 19, 2005, 03:35:29 AM

lewee:  Where is Lowbanks?  I have never heard of it ???  Like I said, it will be another year at least before we get back to Canada, but we sure do miss it.

Tom Sawyer..... I was going to say the same thing about Milverton :P... then I looked it up  :P......just a tad bigger than Lowbanks( north Shore of Lake Erie 35 mi. south of Hamilton ON.) WE are only  a 100 mi. away. Small world isn't it? :D :D :D   
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

OneWithWood

Tom, my relatives are spread all over between Windsor and Toronto.  Stony Point is one small town I remember.  I used to spend my summers on Lake Simco close to Orilla back in the mid 60s.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Tom Sawyer

leweee, have you ever been to the Woodstock Woodshow?  I worked there a couple of years demonstrating a Woodmizer with the guy I was working for.  We also did the Outdoor Farm Show.

leweee

Tom ...been to both those shows but missed going last year. Woodstock holds the record for largest wood show in Ontario.The last time I went to the Outdoor Farm Show they had a public Log Auction. About 75 logs all sizes & species. The auction was the next day so didn't  get to see what they went for. :'(

Thank You Sponsors!