iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trees to lumber to furniture

Started by pigman, February 17, 2005, 12:33:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max sawdust

Sweet stuff 8) 8) 8)
I really like the Cherry bed set ;D

I have done some logs to furniture.  Mostly picture frames, people eat it up.

It is my goal and buisness plan, Log some-Mill some- Build custom items some.

Thanks for the inspiration 8)
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Daren

You can still see the "dent" in the carpet the old dresser made. You bet I would ditch anything setting there to make room for such pretty new furniture in a hurry. Nice work.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

pigman

Quote from: Daren on January 07, 2006, 10:00:38 PM
You can still see the "dent" in the carpet the old dresser made.
Yup, the  pressboard dresser went in the spare bedroom. When she bought the fancy new pressboard furniture a few years ago , I helped her set it up in her apartment. When she put her clothes in the drawers the stapled supports under two drawers pulled loose and I had to try to repair them. That is when I decided to start building some furniture as a side line business.  She has moved several times and most of the furniture is about to fall apart. :(I have since discovered that there is some good furniture being sold, but it is not as cheap as the pressboard stuff. Some of my furniture may have some flaws but it does not collapse when it is moved. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

getoverit

Really pretty stuff pigman!

ya did an outstanding job!
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Norm

Very nice Bob, your daughter is one lucky young lady!

Burlkraft

Nice, nice work there Pigman..........

There is nothing like the feeling you get when you can make something that people will have for years to come 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

It's your legacy ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

jgoodhart

Pigman the bedroom suit looks real nice. What finish did you use on the cherry wood, looks great.

Don K

Nice work Bob.  :)   You are doing now what I hope to be doing before I get too much older.
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Daren

Quote from: pigman on January 07, 2006, 10:48:21 PM
Some of my furniture may have some flaws but it does not collapse when it is moved. ;D

Or used for many years either I would bet. Some people get it, some don't. I am not going on a rant here (I don't think, but might), but in todays disposable society every thing is made with what an old guy told me was "Build in obsolescence". If it doesn't break in 3 years you won't go back to Walmart and buy another. (We can't have that, things that don't need replaced, what would that do to the Chinese ecomony ?) I do just what the title of this thread says. I cut down trees and mill and dry them and make furniture from the lumber. My work is not perfect yet, and may have flaws too. But after the third generation of the family owns it, I think they may be overlooked.
Keep up the good work.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

pigman

Quote from: jgoodhart on January 08, 2006, 08:43:28 AM
Pigman the bedroom suit looks real nice. What finish did you use on the cherry wood, looks great.
Just sprayed on a few coats of lacquer. Lacquer is not as durable as some other finishes, but it sprays easy, doesn't need sanding and dries before much dust lands on the furniture. 8) I don't use it on tables that get much abuse. The dresser is lighter in color than the bed because it was just completed at Christmas and the bed was made in the summer. After a few months the dresser will darken to the shade of the bed. My daughter is not picky and will take whatever I make for her. ;)

MemphisLogger

Awesome work, pigman!

I especially like the mantle and fireplace surround  :)

You are a true craftsman  8)
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

ohsoloco

Very nice work, Pigman  :)  A few years ago I had someone from work ask about a cherry hutch.  It's really nice to be able to go to someone's house and look at where the piece will be, I like to think about that while I'm building it.  Does anyone else find it difficult to deliver their furniture  ???  I wanted to cry when it was time to deliver that cherry hutch.  Here it is in its new owners house:

It was also nice when I signed the piece to be able to put the location of where the tree grew, and when it was harvested  :)

metalspinner

Beautiful work, Pigman!
  Building furniture from logs I've collected, had sawn, and dryed is the only way I can afford to  have nice furniture. Family are the only recipients of my work.  So it is very easy to deliver it.  I tell them "When they are done with it call me and I will pick it back up - even 20 years from now."  I just hope I don't see any my stuff on one of those home improvement shows where everything gets a coat of paint.

This was my wife's birthday present.  It took her mind off the still unfinished kitchen I've been promising to get to. The sun is a little bright - sorry about the bad pic. The table is made of cherry.

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

ohsoloco

Sweet table!  I just wish my kitchen was big enough to have a table like that in it  :(

pigman

clegaux, I like that table design. My wife has one similar that I made five years ago. I copied mine off of the one TV Norm made on his tv show. I did not put in the center support since my table is not as long and the top is thicker.

metalspinner

Pigman,
Yes, that is Norm's table.  I made mine a full 8'.  I just couldn't bring myself to cut 1 1/2' from those cherry boards just because he told me to!
ohsoloco,
  I wish my kitchen was big enough for it to! ???  I was going to buld a buffet as well, but that extra 18" of table top took up the room. :D :D

pigman

Last April my number two daughter and husband came out and picked out a tree on the farm for me to build some furniture for them. They said it had to be finished before October. I had no idea for the rush. I told them that it would take some time for the wood to dry after milling. I delivered the furniture this afternoon. I thought I was not going to make the deadline with all the corn cutting and other things, but I beat the deadline by nine days. 8)

This is the armoire I built for storing clothes and other things.

This is some type of dresser. I have no idea why they wanted that encloser on the top. smiley_headscratch They wanted it there, so I put it there.

I am not sure what they wanted this thing for. They gave me the dimensions and I built it. They must be getting a puppy or something to need a pen like that. ::)
Bob

Ianab

Good on ya Pigman  :D

I've been building a 'pet crate' and a 'fisk tank stand'  too... just mine aren't for grandkids  ;)

I've almost done the cot, just started the table today, I'll post some pics once I have em .
Yours puts mine to shame tho  smiley_blush

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

metalspinner

Wow,
Those are beautiful!  Do you design these yourself?  Really nice proportions. smiley_clapping

Tom_Averwater

He who dies with the most toys wins .

dewwood

I'm envious Bob for more than one reason.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Norm

Great work and craftsmanship Bob. :)

May I ask where you got the plans for the crib, it's very nice and some day long into the future I'd like to build one like it.

Is this your first soon to be grandchild?

OneWithWood

Very excellent work, Bob.
I fergit - do you have a kiln?  Did all those pieces come from the same tree?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

pigman

Quote from: Ianab on September 21, 2006, 11:29:40 PM

I've been building a 'pet crate' and a 'fisk tank stand'  too... just mine aren't for grandkids  ;)

Ian
Grandchild 8)   Shucks, I never thought of that. Could it be, na. she is only 29 years old, way to young to be having kids. :P
Norm, my daughter went to Babies r Us  and picked out a style she liked. I then drew up some plans from the sales picture she brought back. I cheated a little and went to the store and made some measurements to make sure the mattress would fit.
OWW, I do not have my DH kiln operating at this time. I do have a kind of solar kiln that I put the wood in after it had air dried for four months. All the wood came from the same tree exact the bun feet were turned out of some thick cherry I already had.

Norm

Well congratulations on the soon to be granchild. :)

Drew it up yourself huh....nice job!

Thank You Sponsors!