iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trees to lumber to furniture

Started by pigman, February 17, 2005, 12:33:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigman

Some furniture I built from trees I cut, milled, dried amd crafted into furniture.
The first two are of a cherry armoir I built for a neighbor.
The last one is of fireplace mantel, two end tables and a natural edged coffee table. When I cut and milled the pecan tree, I didn't know I would be building furniture from it. The customer's wife saw some of my tables at a local craft show and persuaded her husband  to let me build her the furniture  out of the pecan I had sawed the previous year. The coffee table was made out of a thick slab that was the "hump" on the crooked tree.
Edit-  maybe I should have said electric heater mantel. :-[
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

TN_man

Nice job there pigman 8)
It is a neat feeling to take something from start to finish. Thanks for the pics.
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

Norm

Very nice Bob. Nothing like the satisfaction of taking it from tree to fine furniture. :)

rebocardo

Nice job, that is my own ultimate goal too.

Maybe we will see the cabinet on the roadshow 50 years from now :-)

pigman

More history,
The pecan was a large tree  from of the customer's yard  that had blown over in a storm. They wanted to remember the tree in the furniture they see every day. :) I only hit one nail in the "urban" tree. 8)
Bob the furniture builder

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Ianab

Nice stuff alright  :)

The coffee table and mantle are in my league, simple but nice  ;)

I need a bit more practise before I tackle something like that TV cabinet though ::)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

UNCLEBUCK

Very nice job pigman , I have not made it to making furniture yet but when I do I hope it looks as good as that . Wow ! 
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Frickman

Very nice job Pigman. That armoire is gorgeous!
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

tnlogger

Dito here pigman shore is nice looking furniture
         gene
gene

pigman

This would be better titled tobacco warehouse lumber to furniture. ;) I built this pine bookcase headboard  bed for the teacher my wife works with. The lumber came from a old tobacco warehouse that had been in her husbands  family for four gererations.  I built a  bed of similar design out  of ash for his parents last year.  It looked like they removed the boards with a bulldozer. I used nearly a quart of glue trying to put all the split boards back together.  ::)She said she likes "character" in her furniture and I think I delivered in this piece of furniture. The planer found only one nail that I missed.  :(

Gilman

If they could just build a metal detector as reliable as a planer.  :-\

Thanks for sharing.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

DanG

Great looking bedstead there, Bob the Furniture Builder! 8) 8)  I like dat!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

CHARLIE

You have a fine touch with wood Pigman! Very nice and impressive work.  I think it's great to give people something they can remember a memorable tree by.  It just goes to prove that even after a tree dies, it can live on in another way.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

PawNature

Makes me wish I had paid attention in shop class. Very nice.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

DonE911

Very nice  :o :o

that's a better use for the old barn wood.  To many are burned to the ground around here.

rebocardo

That bed stuff looks beautiful. I know around here there is a big business in reclaimed long leaf pine wood (floors), not that I would know what it looked like ...

OneWithWood

For a pig farmer you do allright  8) 8) 8)

:D :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

pigman

They picked up the bed last night. I guess they liked it, got a $200 tip. 8) Found out the lumber came from the ceiling of the office area of the warehouse and it had been been used somewhere else before that. It is now the third use for the lumber. :o

Faron

That is some sharp lookin furniture there Bob! 8)
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Paschale

Quote from: pigman on October 03, 2005, 03:19:35 PM
It is now the third use for the lumber. :o

And the final, no doubt!  That's what they call "heirloom quality!"  Nice work.   8)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Daren

Nice stuff. People eat stuff like that up (well built furniture with a story they can tell about the lumber) They can justify paying a little more for it if they can tell thier friends "They guy who built this started with a tree" or "He salvaged old timbers" instead of he went to Home Depot and they loaded it in his truck. Even nice things are nicer with a back story. I got an unpleasant job a few years back replacing the floor to the belfry of an old church so they could service the bell and start using it again. The old boards were 14" wide and I could tell they were handsawn by the uneven saw marks. I saved what I could and brought it home, cause it was cool. I got the idea one day to powerwash off the pigeon poo and do a rough sketch of the church and the guys family name who takes care of the place that had given me a lot of work around there. To make a long story short, every one in congregation wanted the same. I made more money with the little signs than I did tearing out the old floor and dragging new lumber up a 30' extension ladder to the belfry in the middle of summer.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

pigman

Delivered this cherry bed, night stand and dresser to my daughter in Lexington, Ky today. I cut the trees on my brothers farm that was formerly my fathers farm. It was a Christmas present, but was a little late in being delivered. :(

DanG

Purdy work!  Real purdy!  You don't do so bad for an old pig farmer. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom_Averwater

That Bed and  dresser looks really nice . You do good work.
He who dies with the most toys wins .

Thank You Sponsors!