iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hawk after the little birds

Started by Fraxinus, February 16, 2005, 08:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fraxinus

Not long before dark today, I happened to be looking out the kitchen window at the birdfeeder and the lilac bush where the chickadees, titmice, finches, nuthatches, etc. gather.  All of a sudden, there came this small hawk and it dove into the lilac but I don't think it was successful.  It happened so fast I'm not really sure if it caught anything.
In the past week or so, I have seen the birds sitting very still which indicates a predator is around but hadn't seen the rascal until today.  My brother thinks it's a sharp-shinned hawk.  I wish he'd catch mice or squirrels.
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

leweee

Welcome to the real world.....adds new meaning to the term BIRDFEEDER ::)

ps." Everybody has to eat" I think you said
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Fraxinus

I don't begrudge him his meal.  Maybe he'll develop a taste for blue jays ???
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

beetle

Happens at my place all the time. I once watched one out my window no more than five feet away grab a Dove that was ground feeding. What a sight, grabbed him/her with his tallons, spread his wings down to the ground and proceeded to beat the Dove to death.

My wife feeds the little birds on our porch, I have seen these small hawks come right up and try to grab em.

During the summer while mowing grass I always see these little pile of feathers on the ground, yep, got another one.
Too many hobbies...not enough time.

Roxie

I stopped feeding the birds because a Red-Shouldered Hawk was using the area as his personal cafeteria.  My feeling was that I know it happens, but I wasn't gonna make it any easier for the hawk.  A few days after taking down the feeders, my white cat was laying on the rug inside the sliding glass door enjoying the sunshine, and WHAM......that hawk hit that glass so hard he smeared it!  Needless to say, the cat was freaked out for a couple days!   :)
Say when

Norm

I was driving into to town a couple of days ago and noticed a red shouldered hawk flying real low with what looked to be something good sized in it's talons. As I got closer I could see it had a cat, best keep the kitty inside or warn Mr Hawk with the 12 gauge Roxie. :o

They are hard on the fresh hatched gooslings on my pond, I won't tolerate em and let them know I don't mind praticing my shotgun shooting if they persist >:(.

Patty

Yea we had to give up on the bird feeders at our house. Between feeding the cat and the hawks, I felt we were being inhumane to the poor little birds!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Corley5

We've had a screech owl come to the feeders after dark hunting flying squirrels.  We had a shrike hang around for a few days a couple winters ago.  The little birds made themselves scarce when he was here.  Something got our liitle dog one year too.  He was five pounds soaking wet and disappeared without a trace one afternoon.  I think it was probably a bird of prey as it was daylight but wouldn't rule out a fox or coyote either.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

pasbuild

I had a Barred Owl hanging around this winter helping me out with the rabbits that have been eating on all my small maples, by the number  of tracks that I see now I'd say his job is about half done.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

thecfarm

I have trouble with hawks after the Bluebirds.The hawks will perch on top of the post for the bluebird houses.It's quite a site to see the hawks "work" the fields in the spring for food.They work it like a grid.They will fly about 3-4 feet of the ground looking for a meal.Every foot of the field is gone over.They will try to catch any small bird they can.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Cedarman

Logged some cedar on a rabbit farm in Ky one winter.  They had about 10 acres of grass and legumes planted  with paths about 4 feet wide mowed every hundred feet or so.  They never hunted these rabbits. A 3 foot fence went around the entire field. They would take their beagles out there to run the rabbits.  This place was a hawk magnet.  I heard rumors of hawk control.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Larry

I planted pine trees on the north side of the house.  Got about 6 bird feeders out there and the pine trees provide protection from the hawks.

The trees don't help worth a dang with these predators....they don't hurt the birds but he sure can empty seed out of the feeders most quick.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Bro. Noble

I've tried to hang feeders so that the squirrels can't rob them.  I wouldn't have believed some of the acrobatic manuvers those things can perform in order to get sunflower seeds.  I enjoy watching them about as much as watching the birds :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Furby

I've always wanted to set up an obstacle course for squirrels in my yard.
Seen them in many books and even a couple of videos.
Looks like it would be worth the seed loss to be able to watch that. :D :D :D

Roxie

I have an older retired friend that would come to the company that I work for on a weekly basis to consult.  He would update us weekly on his battle with a squirrel and his feeders.  He tried everything from greasing the poles to very expensive anti-squirrel adapters.   :D  I got the impression that if the squirrel ever gave up, ole Bill would have been real disappointed.   :)  He would bring pictures to work of the crimes this squirrel had commited.  It was hilarious.  :D
Say when

KiwiCharlie

On the farm, we have had trouble with hawks coming down into the chicken run, and taking chooks away!  It doesnt happen too often, seems only to be when the birds arent finding enough food elsewhere, but anyhow, we now have put an open weave string type mesh over the run which has stopped them.
I see them on the roads trying to take off with a road kill possum!  They are quite strong birds.
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

gary

I get a bald eagle to come to my yard . It comes every morning at about 9 o:clock. It loves sparrows
so at about 8:45 I throw out about a half a loave of bread. It is something to see , a bird with a 6ft.wingspan flying around a small city.

SwampDonkey

Counted twenty of these little guys all huddled on one part of the lawn today. Seems the ground has thawed enough for earthworms now becaus they were pulling them up.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

They are fascinating to watch. I once saw a bald eagle trying to lift a spawning salmon. The fish was too heavy but the bird would not let go. I have been told they can't relax their claws with weight on them.
One day I was fishing from a boat and lost a small trout. I did not have a net and every time I touched it the fish would wriggle away then go belly up. I gave up and moved away to reset my line.
An eagle came out of the trees and nailed that fish not twenty feet from me. It was an impressive sight. They seem to hang around popular fishing spots
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

I also have seen Osprey pluck grilse salmon from the river when I used to fish for them on the Saint John River. The birds would hover around the gravel bars which had low water during the early morning before the gates on the dam were open for peak business hours in the city. The salmon would travel over the bars during the rising water from the opened gates of the dam. Sometimes the birds got a little wet when there's a little too much to handle. :D I'de see maybe 2 osprey at one time and there would 100 sea gulls waiting to get a free meal of injured/killed salmon.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bro. Noble

Seems like I read somewhere (don't remember where,  cause I'm such a literary) that those eagles are heck on monkeys too ::)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

SwampDonkey

Timburr

Yeh, there's plenty of monkeys on this forum too. Better watch the eagles don't get 'em smiley_monkeyfight smiley_devilish

I was coming home out the woods a while ago and a sparrowhawk had caught a pigeon. It was standing on it's back eating it alive. Although half it's back was missing, the pigeon was still alert and looking around. Isn't nature cruel!! I was in the car at the time and watched them for a short while, if I had been walking, the hawk would have scattered and abandoned the pigeon. It's surprising how wildlife is oblivious to vehicles.
By the morning, the carcass had gone, probably finished off by a fox or badger

Tim
Sense is not common

Thank You Sponsors!