iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blue Air Moment

Started by Cedarman, February 16, 2005, 07:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cedarman

A little over 20 years ago my brother and I bought a WM LT30. I bought him out after a couple years and since about 89 I have been full time in the sawmill business.  So I have had ample opportunity to have blue air moments.  You know, those times you do something and just after you do it you wish you hadn't.  Some everyone has done, like hitting the dog because you thought you could get by it.  And that horrible sound, Tishhhh,Thishhhh, Thishhh.

Another is when , one second before you get to them you see two nails sticking straight up out of the log and it takes 1 1/2 second to stop. Tishhh,Thishhhh,Thishhhh

I've got a bunch more, but wonder what other FF members have done to make the air turn blue.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Bibbyman

We had a plague of them blue air moments about a month ago when we were sawing walnut that had been skidded in the mud, yarded and handled a couple of time and then dropped off on our gravel lot and handled a couple of times.  That debarker just can't dig all that dirt, rocks, and grit out of that deep walnut bark!

I've had a number of "tight anal grip" moments too when working with our AGCO moving logs and slabs.  Just marginal counter weight and then run up on a cut off knot or big rock with a back wheel and the whole things starts to tip.  LOWER THE LOAD QUICK!
:o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

pigman

About five years ago right after I had my new WM mill, I had my first on site sawing job.  8) The first log, a nice 16ft- 16in red oak, was rolled on the loading arms. The customer was sure supprised how easy those arms could lift that heavy log up on the mill. :) I was really focused on doing everything just right while he was telling me what he wanted out of the log. The loading arms reached the top of their cycle and the log rolled like a pipe across the mill and kept on rolling off the back side. :o Seems someone had forgot to raise the backstops. :( As most of you know,on a WM  the log will not reach the ground, it only wedges behind the wheel. The log owner looked at me and said " you haven't been doing this very long have you". ::)

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

MemphisLogger

We were taking a 38" diameter oak log off our trailer with our 4000lbs Towmotor   :)
Log weight calculator said the log was 3800lbs--no problem  ;D

Guess we didn't figure that the roundness of the log was going to put that weight 18" out on the forks  ::)   

At first, the Towmotor seems to be doing fine, but when my cousin strats to back up, inertia kicks in and the Towmotor starts to tip forward. The back end got a good foot off the ground before the log rolled off the forks and set back down with the loudest BANG I've ever heard  :o

No damage but y'all would be rollin' to see the look on my cousin's face--we had to pry his fingers off the rollcage  :D :D 
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Cedarman

One time when we were setting and sharpening our own blades I had a very puzzling occurance.  I had set the blade carefully using the dial indicator and sharpened the blade on the automatic sharpener.  I put the blade on the mill and started into the log. That blade would not go into the log and smoke started rolling.  What in the world? This just can't be happening.  I looked at the blade and then it hit me. I had inverted the blade to check it on the setter and had forgotten to invert it again.  Blades will not saw backwards no matter how sharp they are.

Larry

Hey Cedarman, I've also noticed blades not wanting to cut when they are ran backwards. ;D ;D

This is one of my better blue air moments. 

I have my planer set up next to the DH kiln.  Nice morning and I'm pulling boards out of the kiln and sticking them through the planer.  Quite pleased with myself as things are humming along nicely and I will be done in plenty of time for a buyer, with money to pick up his wood after lunch.

I'm on the outfeed side of the planer and happen to notice the next board coming into the machine had two finishing nails sticking up.  I sometimes put a couple of nails in a board to serve as a remote sensor for the moisture meter when drying.  I raced back to the infeed side to shut things down and made it just in time to watch the nails disappear into the planer.  The sound coming from the planer doubles and now I have a racing stripe on my board.  Not much damage done as the blades were old but still took an hour to put in new ones.  I now draw a big circle around my nail probes with a bright lumber crayon.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

tnlogger

yes sir had a few of them.
one that sticks with me is we where cutting a hill side for one of the menonites in the valley. we had just bought the old AC dozer and had to go up a gully a cut a side rd across the face of the hill. there wasn't any place to turn around on the rd. so i would pull straight up the hill and back around. i pulled up and pulled that hand clutch back,poped her outa gear. next thing i know is i'm going backwoods down the hill with no brakes taking done 6" trees. i fetched up against a big oak bang stoped. when i could breath again i looked behind me a that tree was the only thing between me and 1/4 mile of steep field . i found out later them ac with the wet clutchs if you get above 40% slope going shtaight up the pump loses prime no brakes.
  to this day when i think of that i thank the lord for looking out for me.
                                                 gene
gene

Tom_Averwater

I've done the backward blade . It sure doesn't cut very good .  We bought a Bobcat 342 years ago. It is small enough to go into the back of a pickup. My brother loaded it off of a dock into the truck . I started to back it down some ramps to unload it . It was a good thing I had the seat belt on. In the next instant  I was upside down , so was the bobcat .
He who dies with the most toys wins .

pigman

Lary's blue air moment reminded me of another moment of mine. Last week I was planing some lumber with my 25in Woodmaster planer. There is only 12ft between the outfeed side of the planer and the door, so if I plane longer lumber I just open the door. I was runnig some 10ft ash boards so the door was closed. The boards were only to be used for garage shelves, so I was running the feed rate at full speed. 8) The  boards were zipping  through the planer and I was sending the last one through when the planer started tipping toward me. :o It seems the last board had butted against another board which was tight against the door. I managed to reach the feed switch when the planer was at about 45 degrees. ::) The only thing keeping it from tipping foward was the board stuck in the infeed side against the floor. :-[ The only damage was when the dust collection pipe was pulled loose at the joint.
Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Buzz-sawyer

TOM_AVERWATER
You said " We bought a Bobcat 342 years ago"
I didnt know they make bobcats that long 8) 8) 8) 8)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Tom_Averwater

Buzz, We have had it at least  15 to 18 years . It seems like a long time. 

Murf

Mine wasn't quite so much 'blue air' as it was 'pants puckering'.

We had some freezing rain last week, and since the doctor and the warden (Mrs. Murf) have decided I can be paroled from sick bay, I decided to go out and play at some ice control, for old times sake.

I loaded the spray truck with 1,000 gallons of liquid Calcium Chloride and headed on down the road. As I went up through the gears pulling out I kept thinking there was something I was forgetting.

About 5 miles from home I got to the first place I needed to use the brakes and suddenly remebered what it was I was going to do before leaving home, drain the condensation out of the brake tanks and add anti-freeze.......  :o  :o  :o  :o

Luckily for me it was a traffic light, I was able to gear down and time the light so I could roll through it green, but I got off the road and thawed everything out pronto.

When I got home hours later my sweetie was waiting for me with a big breakfast, a hot fire going and a big hug, she asked how everything went and all I said was"Lot's of fun dear". Even Depouty Dog new better than to say anything about it, some things are just better not told to the wimen-folks..... ;D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Buzz-sawyer

Tom Av
Oh. not 342 years ago ???
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

sawguy21

Murf I pulled a similar stunt. Was driving the boss' tandem on air (no air ticket or class 3) The flag would not go up and the buzzer would not shut up. Disconnected buzzer and ignored flag. Pulled up to the first stop sign and touched the brake. As C.W. McCall used to say, "sorta like stepping on a plum" I rolled right through the intersection and almost used the mayors car for brakes. The tank drain valve was not completely closed and there was a bit of ice in the lines. No maxi's either. I did not advertise that one.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tom_Averwater

Buzz,  I get it now. Sometimes i'm a little slow. Tom

sawyerkirk

We should have a daily journal of "blue moments" through out the day, I would probably post one a day!! I built a new chop saw over the past week, hit the first board and realized very quiickly I had the blade backwards an 2x8x8' piece of ash flew about 15 feet across the room, just missed me, the window, the dog and my stake pointer!

Cedarman

Back before I went all electric I would pull the mill around and do custom jobs.
Went to a site about 10 miles from home and pulled into the driveway where I was supposed to meet and head on to the field.  The fellow came over and asked where my mill was.  Ever had that sudden sinking feeling, boy am I dumb moment.  I had left the mill home.

Bibbyman

I had two "senior" moments, back to back, this morning. 

smiley_old_guy

I came out of the bedroom to the kitchen thinking I was fully dress only to realize I'd forgot my shirt – not even an under shirt.  I went back and put on a shirt and came back to the kitchen and realized I'd forgot my eyeglasses.   My eyesight is not nearly that good I'd not realize I needed them.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

redpowerd

QuoteI had left the mill home.

at least you didnt loose it on the road. i "forgot" the saftey pin and chains on the disks one day and did just that.
that section of road will never be the same :D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Wudman

Some of those "blue air moments" can get you killed.  Back when I was a kid, I had a 72 Ford Gran Torino.  The rear coil springs were about shot and I had put a pair of air shocks on it to help the ride.  I'd developed an air leak somewhere and was under the car trouble shooting one afternoon.  I found the leak where the line entered the fitting on the driver side shock.  Without thinking, I loosened the fitting and removed the line to trim the damaged area.......duh.......There I lay with a 72 Ford on my chest.  A clamp on the exhaust sytem caught me right in the center of the chest; of course the U-bolts were pointed downward.  I could still breath, but couldn't move my body.  Luckily, the air compressor hose was within reach as I had it under there with me.  I stuck the fitting back in and repressurized the sytem.....crawled out and thought to myself......you stupid idiot.  I had some nice bruises, but I'm still here.  Needless to say, my shop now has a nice selection of jack stands around....and I don't trust them alone.  If I'm under a vehicle now, the jackstands will be there, but there is going to be some oak blocking as well for a safety.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Cedarman

On a much lighter note then Wudman's close encounter with a car bottom, I was sawing a big cant right down the middle on time many years ago.  It was probably  16 x 12.  I'm sawing just fine until about 3 feet from the end and I hear a funny sound for a second and saw something fall out of the corner of my eye.  Kept sawing right out the end with no problem.  Raised the mill up and brought it back to the front.  Went back down to the far end and around the back side to turn the 2 big pieces of wood.( Had a total manual mill at that time).  Went to grab my cant hook and then I noticed it was about 6 inches shorter with a flat top and a little round piece of wood laying on the sawdust. Blue Air Moment

isawlogs

I was sawing the wood for my shop , had a big wack of logs close to 20,000 feet of pine . Most of it was for me but dad needed a bit for the sugar shack make over . Time came that the mill was in need of an oil change , I brought everithing needed to do the oil change ... oil drain pan ... oil  filter .. tools .. Got the oil and filter out , put the new filter in  got my father to bring me the oil a 4 litter jug , started to put ther oil in and talking with my dad  and nephew ....  Now I've change the oil in this mill more times then I can remember .... It had over 4500hrs on it then , put the 4 littters in and put everything away started the engin and went on to saw ....  Did you know that a 24 Onan does not take 4liters of oil to fill  ... Blue smoke you think ...  I thought for sure that the engin had blown a set of rings ... so ... I finished the cut If its dead cant die  twice ...  After finishing the cut dad asked me how much oil I put in there ... 4 littres I tell him ....   Marcel ... you put 1/2 a litre to much ...  I took that 1/2 litre out and started it back up and a few moments later the engin was humming like it should ... My dad has not let this one go over to easy on me .. now every time I change oil in any machine  he askes how much I plan on putting in .. And if I am going to test the rings on the engin  again ...

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!