iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rust Reaper Contest Time - Tell Us A Story Version!

Started by slowzuki, February 15, 2005, 03:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slowzuki

*Note an apology to those outside North America but shipping can only be arranged inside NA, not our rules but the post office rules*

Ok here's the deal!  There is a Rust Reaper prize pack to be won, and I get to pick! 

I figure a good story telling contest would be in order...  So in that spirit, tell us your best/worst stuck bolt, nut, stud whatever story.  It should be mostly true :D at least as true as you'd tell a friend about it :D

The idea is the best story gets the Rust Reaper, the winner will be picked Saturday!

Just to kick things off, I have an old rusty car.  I started fixing it back in high school and broke every bolt or stud I removed on the thing. Being a young fella, I didn't have a torch or much, but dad had a nice set of shiney "EZ-outs"

I thought I was in luck when I found them, you know, I'll have that out in a Jiffy.  If I'd a thought a moment, I'd have realized this bolt that broke was a lot stronger than the itty bitter EZ out and the crooked hole I drilled went half way through the backing nut.  I may also have thought to pick the right size drill bit to start with before slipping one just a size bigger in the hole and snapping it off.

I'd also have thought about how something that pushes out on the thin bit of bolt left can make it any easier to get out.

Now I know there are better storytellers than that so get typing to win some a great Rust Reaper prize pack. 8)

redpowerd

My brother in law has a 95 chevy thats been sitting in the shop waayyy tooo loooong, and yes its his "daily" driver.  Had a main bearing go a few months ago so he decieded to get this 350 done up right, and off to the local race shop it went. 
   It was there for a week, 15 hundred bucks a week sounds like a pretty good career. 
   We couldnt wait to run this sucker.  The motor barley stopped swinging from the chainfalls before we commenced a blur of wrenches and wratchets, bolting on all these newfangled accessories that newfangled trucks come with.  Even got them old headers back in place without profanity or thrown sockets. 
   Everything was going fine, looked like we would have this thing in tonight.  Mabie i seemed anxious by grabbing the lift chain on the falls (might have scared him), or mabie it was just cause it was the last bolt to be checked, or mabie, just mabie, it was the breaker bar.
   My bet it was the breaker bar.  Snap.  He did it, snapped one off flush with the block at the motor mount.  "Thats why they call it a BREAKER BAR!", i yell.  Who hasnt heard that one? 
   Well we composed ouselves, remove the breaker from its new home in the wall, grabbed the drill and center punch, were getting this in tonight. I wanted to lay the motor down so we could get it punched dead center, but before i could it was punched and punched badly. 
   You see where this story is goin'? Yep. Much like slowzuki's.  Crooked hole, crooked ez-out, broken ez-out.  Finish your beer boys its time for bed.
   The next day their mechanic, time off from working on many a Deere, came over and invested about four hours getting them threads shiny again.
Good, now we can sink that motor.  Line it up, higher, lower, tilt the front up, no, THE FRONT UP! BACK! BACK! DOWN! oh, wait guys, the flywheel wont line up, WRONG FLYWHEEL!
there it sits waiting for a new flywheel.

well i know the ending wasnt the greatest or even ended with a broken bolt, but i had some time to kill and i figgerd i had it fresh in my head. now if youll notice, i werked hard on my grammer and spelling, even double spaced betweed sentinces and USED CAPITAL LETTERS.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

crtreedude

Well, you asked for a story about a nut being stuck....   :D

This is a story about my first tree climbing ascent - and I blush to say that it is completely true.

Some time ago, my brother and my daughter got me hooked on the sport of rock climbing. Up to that point, I would never have called myself fit, but with rock climbing, it encourages you to lose whatever extra weight you have as well as develop strength in your hands. This, of course, is incredibly useful in dealing with overenthusiastic sales people as well as in cracking nuts. There is also the joy that comes from having white hair and being able to easily go up obstacles that most jocks only wish they could. I call this the revenge-of-the-nerd rock climber.

A concern that I had about moving to Costa Rica is that I would have to give up my home rock gym and that there were no good places to climb. I mean, we are talking a rainforest. Everything has vegetation. Also, because of the daily rains, any granite or similarly good climbing surface quickly becomes eroded and also covered with slime.

I did check for rock climbing in Costa Rica, and there are a couple of places; both are more than 2 hours away. So rock climbing is not going to happen for me in Costa Rica, unless of course I build another rock gym.

I made the decision to pursue a new direction — tree climbing. Now, this is not like when you were a kid. These trees go straight up 75 feet or so to the first limb. Unlike rock climbing, I can actually justify this sport economically, since I am an owner of a tree plantation. It is actually important to clear off the epiphytes and vines from valuable trees, or their mass will eventually kill the tree and drag it down. These are not the trees we are planting for reforestation, but the older trees on the property, of which there are hundreds.

The first requirement of any sport is that the gear is cool. Understand, I have been rock climbing for about 5 years. You would think that I would have enough gear for tree climbing. Nothing could be further from the truth. You see, my dynamic rope is not suitable for ascending into a tree, so I needed to purchase 150 feet of 1/2" static rope especially designed for an arborist. Also, when rock climbing, you ascend using your hands, feet, and any other handy body part. The rope and harness are only to protect you if (when) you fall. So, I of course had to purchase a cool pair of ascenders. Also, I did not have enough carabiners, so I purchased about half a dozen more, plus devices for descending, which are not usually necessary in rock climbing, because your partner just lowers you.

About $400 later, I now have the additional gear I need for tree climbing. It fills one large duffle bag and a large box. I feel secure. Of course, if I were to drape it over my body, I would probably double my weight, but no problem. Also, I decided to use my alpine harness, which is not terribly comfortable but adequate for sitting in for short periods of time. The reuse of my harness is to demonstrate my frugality.

Finally, I secured a worker to help. First, I need a person to help carry all of the gear, and second, I need a ground crew to hand me tools when I need them. A great piece of luck, Luis used to work at a tourist site where he had seen people climbing trees with ropes and such. Since my Spanish is not great, having a person who had some idea what I was attempting was a great benefit.

Our first pitch, in rock climbing terms, was an old, huge mango tree. It is estimated that it is 50 years old, and that is quite old for a mango tree. Its diameter is probably 3 feet and it is about 60 feet tall. It is totally covered with epiphytes and small vines, and some of the epiphytes are quite large. It is one of the few trees near the barn and provides shade for the horses, so we really want to preserve it. It doesn't provide mangos, unfortunately, because the altitude of the tree plantation is too low for good mangos.

We went around to the back side of the tree so that we would not be working in the mud. Of course, this was based on a strong hope that I would not need the soft landing the mud would have provided. I am happy to report that I did not need the mud. I had other problems.

We started out well. I had bought (of course) a special weight and rope for throwing into the tree so that you could pull up the larger rope afterward. We examined the tree like pros, looking for a good place to throw the rope, and when I threw it the first time, it sailed over the limb like I had been doing it for years. I proceeded to tie off one end of the rope to the trunk and attach the ascenders to the other end. I started to go up the rope, slowly and carefully (also slowly because it isn't easy) until I got about 20 feet up. Excellent. Luis, my ground crew, was impressed and possibly thought that the gringo is not loco after all.

I pulled off a few epiphytes and vines just so people would think I was actually working and not just fooling around, and then I decided it was enough for one day. Good. I let Luis know I was about to descend. I looked at my ascenders and remembered that they only go one way!

One of the problems of dangling from a rope with an alpine harness is that you have a time limit. The harness is only so comfortable; it is not meant for taking a nap. Also, anytime you try to stand up, it requires hanging onto the rope with one hand while you try to work with the other. To further compound the problem, I have a touch of fear of heights, which mean things I can easily figure out on the ground are not so obvious 20 feet up.

The problem with using the descenders I have is that the act of releasing an ascender requires having all of the weight off the ascender. If you are not completely supported by your descending device, you are going to drop, and that can be pretty hard on you when you are using rope that doesn't stretch. So, what I needed was a device that would ascend and descend — which of course I didn't own. I would normally be very happy about this because I can buy another tool, but not when I am stuck 20 feet up in the air.

Thankfully, I had a book with me on knots for climbers and there is a really great knot called a prusik knot. It is used for ascending and descending which allows it to replace the upper ascender and then you can lower yourself with the knot and lower ascender. First, we had to get a piece of rope and cut it to size. Luis did not have a knife on him, so I had to dig mine out of my pocket and of course the top of my pocket was pinched closed with the harness. This took more time. After Luis cut the rope, I had to look up a knot to use to tie two ends of a rope together securely (since it was going to have to support me). Never having had to tie this knot before, I needed Luis to hold the book up so that I could see how to do it. Of course, while I am doing this, the harness is slowly cutting me in two.

After considerable contortions, I managed to get the prusik tied and attached to both the harness and to the rope and removed the upper ascender. Being in a hurry to release the tourniquet known as a harness, I start moving down. About 6 inches from the ground, I JAMMED THE PRUSIK. Argh! Nothing looks sillier than being stuck 6 inches from the ground. There is no way to release yourself, because you can't get enough slack to do it.

I was seriously thinking of asking Luis to get under me so that I could use him for a stool to get off the rope. But, since my Spanish is none too good, I was almost sure that there was no way I could explain it without causing offense, and I sure didn't want him to abandon me. Normally I could have easily freed up the prusik, but I was getting tired, and my hands were getting very sweaty. I could do nothing but sit there and engage Luis in idle chatter until I figured out that all I had to do was stand up on the foot loop of the lower ascender, then unclip the prusik loop and then step out of the foot loop. Relieved to be on solid ground again, I savored the sensation of standing on terra firma. It was then that I discovered another reason to be behind the tree — I had performed my aerial ballet out of sight of all the workers.

All in all, it was a very successful ascent. I survived with nothing more than a slightly bruised ego and tush. Wait 'til next time!

So, do you think Rust Reaper would have helped me?  ;)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

FeltzE

There I was...

Almost new combination planer, moulder, ripsaw, and sander. I read the manual, reviewed the components and went to planning, 5 hours later recheck the gibs for tightness, (which relates to the term good-en-tight). So being the lumberjack, primary toter of stuff, and do-er of all tasks I reach in there with Popeye like grip on the allen wrench and tighten away.

The planer works like a champ, oops... there goes a nail, time to change blades. Unscrewing a million (slight exageration there) allen screws, one is stuck, the allen wrench strips, but not unnerved yet I pull out the penatrator, and spray away.

Still no joy, stuck as ever! Get a new allen wrench, turn till it feels like it's slipping, and stop. Well maybe soak it with more penetrator and try tomorrow.

(tommorow never comes) But in any case the following day try again. Still stuck. Well maybe some heat may help this situation. So out comes the propane torch. Not thinking clearly there isn't going to be enough BTUs in that little torch ... an hour or so goes by of heating followed by trying to unscrew that @#$% allen screw. Still no joy!  :-[

The next day, get the bit guns. Out comes the acetaline torch, heat it until I think I  going to wreck the planer head. Take the head out, put it on the bench, try again.  :'(  Still won't come out..

Last resort Drill and tap. .... THAT WORKED! 8)

Everything is coated with never sieze and reinstalled. Wondering all along if Rust Reaper would have made it easier.... ???

Ther is a second story, it relates to a bearing stuck on a shaft, and with the help of my good friend Kelly (Special Forces Super Trooper... [killed in Iraq last yr by a road side bomb]) we attempted to seperate the parts.

Tap, tap, tap, Bigger hammer TAP TAP TAP , ,,, bigger hammer bang, ping, bang, BIGGER HAMMER, BANG, PING  .... OUCH!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) I still wear the scars on my right index finger. The thought of it makes me smile, and scrinch... Smilling about Kelly looking at me apologizing for single handedly creating the most pain I have ever felt, and scrinching thinking of the pain and the occasional cold weather throb... wondering if a little patience and Rust Reaper would have changed it... ???

eric

EZ

When I was young, my dad wanted my older brother and me to put the snow tires on his truck cause winter was getting close. My brother started the truck up and drove it over in the grass. I took the lug wrench and tried to brake the nuts loose, they did'nt move so I got a pipe and use it on the end of the wrench. The truck started to roll away and we couldnt catch it. It went down a hill and threw a fence and ended up in the small pond. We went and got the tractor and pulled it back to the driveway. Finish changing the tires and wash it. Never did start, and never did tell him.
EZ

etat

I don't really have a one great particular story.  But I have twisted off a bolt or two, some fairly recently.

Yep, when that wrench, or socket, or pull handle spins free and you KNOW. Even if you didn't hear it when it cracked, you know. 

First you get  that feeling of unbelief.  As in "I Can't believe I done that".  Maybe not thinking in so nice a words.  Maybe rant and rave for a minute as it fully sinks in how deep a barrel you done fell off into.  (I find walking off and sulking and pouting for just a minute to be extremely rewarding instead of finding something else to throw or break )

Finally I decide I gotta get down to business.  Is there enough left sticking out to heat and get ahold of with vice grips.  Is there enough left to cut a slot with a dremil tool and get a screwdriver on.  Maybe if so I can heat it and get it out.

If not time to go to plan b. C, D, E or F.  Sometimes plans change outta necessity.  Get the drill and drill bits out.  Try to remember where you put the ease outs.  If you can't find it time to scrap out a old allen wrench and grind one out that'll work.  Flatten the end of the bolt, decide if you need to center punch a hole to get the drill bit started.

If you get real lucky things go good, you drill right down the center of the bolt all the way to the end.  I heat it at least once and let it cool.  Then heat around the bolt if possible and try the ease out.  Maybe..............

It gets worse if i made a mistake doing this.  Or if it's too dang stubborn. Maybe I run the drill bit into the threads.  Or break the dang ease out or drill bit.  If so not much left to do other than 'maybe' go to a cobalt drill bit and worm it out.  Or bust it out with a small punch, worse case, torch it out. 

Get the hole clean the first time, good.  If not, I'm gonna have to over drill it and retap it for one a them thread fixing kits with the little inserts.  How long did all this take.

If I got REAL lucky less than an hour.  Not quite as lucky, a couple of hours.  REALLY fustrated and had to take a bunch of stuff back apart to get to it. 

Who knows.  Half a day.   A whole day.  Quit til the next day to let my nerves settle and go in with a fresh start and a new outlook.  A week? I been through all that at one time or another. 

Only one advantage to the whole thing.  No matter how long it took, or what ya had to go through to get there.

It's when you 'finally' get er fixed and get the thing put back together and torque that last bolt down.

I don't drink no more but if I did, It'd be time for a Budweiser to celebrate.

Tell ya the truth, if it's been a REAL hot summer day, I might jump off the wagon and go get me a couple of them longnecks anyways.  Ice cold of course.  I figure I deserve it!

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

sawdust

This is a stuck story. Attempting to tell it so as no one gets too grossed out. I work on an ambulance...a toothbrush is meant for teeth, K-Y jelly is not toothpase, our ambulance was not really necessary but I suppose that walking to the taxi would have been a bit too uncomfortable. Never actually saw it (thank god) aways wondered if it was  battery powered or a BUTler brand.

::) ::) ::)
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Gilman

WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Cedarman

Just before Chrismas I headed to Stillwater Ok to stay with my son and help them move into their new house.  We needed my 1 ton Dodge to help move equipment for our new operation.  So I drove this truck out without any problems. Only had the truck one month, had bought it used with 180,000 miles on it.  I drove it all around Stillwater without problems.  On a Friday I headed back to near Lebanon Mo to pick up a shears.  On the way back the trip was uneventful until I got to the entrance to the Ok tollroad SW of Joplin Mo.  Felt a little tug on the steering wheel and heard a little grinding from the left front wheel.  I stopped at the welcome center and checked things out.  Looked like a few shavings laying on the rim and probably was the wheel bearing going out. 

Well, it was lat Fri afternoon and I wanted to get back to Stillwater.  So I said a couple of prayers and eased on down the road.  Everyonce in a while I would hear that grinding and feel the wheel shudder, kept praying.  Heard what sounded like pebbles coming off the fender.  Thought it was some mud breaking loose. Ball bearings sound a lot like rocks!! I got to the edge of Tulsa and was headed around this long sweeping curve as I was changing to west bound.

Felt a big shudder and then it took a strong grip on the steering wheel to keep it going straight.  A car pulled along side honking its horn and pointing down to my wheel.  I was in the emergency lane at this time and going about 20 miles per hour, just hoping to make the exit 3/4 mile ahead. The longest 3/4 miles in my life.  With all the grinding and steering problem, I just knew I was making a mishmash of my front end.  I made it to the exit and turned left with difficulty and on over into an all night filling station convenience store.  Parked it right in front, got out , dared to look and saw my tire leaning at a 30 degree angle with major smoke coming out. I looked under the fender and saw glowing red metal parts.   Luckily a kid was pressure washing the lot and he came over and asked if I need help.  I said stick that hose under the fender and give it some water. After some big clouds of steam and lots of hissing, we got things under control.  The kid said there was a place about a mile down the road that fixed front ends.  Got on the phone and they said bring it down in the morning.  Lined up a wrecker and then settled down to give God heck for not getting me to Stillwater.

A revelation came to me.  I had the truck in a secure place for the night, 3 or 4 places to eat, a motel across the street, a place to work on it on a Sat morning and a wrecker driver ready to haul it in the morning. Just what was I complaining about. My prayers had been answered, just in a better way then I was expecting.
Next morning, got the truck fixed up with a new wheel bearing and brakes and was on my way. Prayers answered.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

DR Buck

A short story.....

Once upon a time (five years ago) I bought an old beater truck to use around the farm.  Small Ford F 350, 1961.

Had to change a flat tire on left front one day.   The lugs looked a little rusty so I sprayed them with WD40 and put the BIG tire iron on the 1st one.  It wouldn't budge.   Got out a 4 foot pipe and slipped it over the tire iron and pulled.  SNAP.   :(  Off came the whole lug.  Not to worry, its only a farm truck I only need 4 lugs.

Tried the same configuration, including the 4 foot pipe on the next lug. SNAP!   :(  Another lug broke clean off.  Now I'm beginning to think maybe I can get by with just 3 lugs???   Let me try one more.

WD40, tire iron and 4 foot pipe.    SNAP !!!  :( :(  Only 2 lugs left.  maybe I better take a closer look at the problem.

LEFT HANDED THREADS on the drivers side of the truck!!  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

etat

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Ga_Boy

There I was at 150' and low on air with sharks circling all around me...

Oh wait a minute, that's another story.

Ok, here we go.

Last night I was hooking up my new HP printer/fax machine and yes I was following the directions that came with the DanG thing.  I got to step 6, the part where you plug in the power supply.  I plugged that thing in and it made funny noises, that was the first clue that something was wrong as power supplys are not supose to make any noise when you plug them in.  Next, I detected a strange odor about the room, but as I never saw the magic blue smoke escaping from the box, I started hopping things were going to be OK. 

Well, as I was now hoping that things were going to be OK, this was my second clue that things might now be going well.  I pulled out the old Fluke 77 and checked the power output side of the transformer; Dang again, my small test leads are in the shop.  At this point I rationalize that this thinig is new, so I connect the power supply to the unit anyway.  I go around and pusned the power on button and nothing happens.  DanG, again now it is 6:30 PM, and Office Depot is an hour away. 

I pack this pig back up and off to Office Depot I go.  I get a second NEW machine and hook it up, this time, the first thing I do is test the power supply, no funny noise or strange odor, that is a good sign.  I get this thing all put together and load the software. 

DanG, it works.

Now you are wondering how Rust Reaper would have helped, well I aint got a clue.  But, I am sure that if I had some Rust Reaper it would have made hooking up that Dang thing a lot eaiser.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Percy

In 1981, there was a big recession around here and I had nothing but time on my hands so I commenced to rebuilding a 55 chevy pickup I bought a couple of years earlier that was in a sorry state. Hunting down oddball parts, rechroming, building a snotty 350, played guitar at a backyard barbeque for a tranny, it was fun. Anyhow, the thing was about done cept for a few things, one of which was the rear u-joint. My wife left for a visit to her moms on Vancouver island with the kids so I was alone with my toy and workin hard at getting it on the road. Everyone of my buddies with the hotrods were commin by regular to see how she was commin along. It was a Saterday and I bought the insurance, registered the truck, did everything I was suppoosed to cause on Sunday, at least back then, everything was closed around here( I miss that) so I needed my ducks in a row if I was gonna do some cruisin sunday afternoon/night. I even bought a new fancy white 'spensive teeshirt and some new Calvin Kline jeans that were the rage back then. So Im up at 6 am sunday mornin, attachin the chome grille that had just come from the USA along with the headlight rings. Bolted the terbo mufflers to the Hooker headers, attached a bunch of interior chrome stuff, hooked up the new highpowered casette deck(therty five watts a channel..hahahah)bolted on the new licence plates.  Lastly, about noon by now, I have to change the u-joint  No prob, dunnit about a hunnert times. I use a vice and an appropriatly sized socket to press the old bearing cap out. Its being a tad difficult but I finally prevail cept for the last quarter inch mebey. I take a 3/8 socket extension, stick it thru the one hoop that has already co-operated nicely and smack the extension with a hammer, driving the stubborn cap out, at a fair  velocity.. The cap hits the wall and bounces back, nailing me in the forehead, right between the eyes. I jump  back and let go of the driveshaft. . Its kinda leaning on the work bench and rolling at the same time. It finally crashes to the floor and hit a 2 foot piece of 2X4  teetering on another 2X4 that flies right across the shop(12 feet) and tips over a pail of used motor oil onto the cat. The cat is *pithed and runs into the house(I left the door open) and climbs up on the bed and messes up my new spensive Tee shirt and Calvin Kline jeans. I had to go cruisin(showin off the new truck) in my old clothes. Mebey the Rust Reaper wudda helped with that U-joint. Does the stuff remove motor oil from ornery cats??? ;D

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

redpowerd

LEFT HANDED THREADS on the drivers side of the truck!!     

yer new!!
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

OneWithWood

short story,

A few years back I totally rebuilt a '84 Jaguar XJS.  I was really proud of my accomplishments with this car and had the whole thing stripped and repainted as my reward.  This was back in the days when my garage doubled as my workshop.  The shiny new looking car was parked in its bay and I was on the other side of the garage working an a tractor part.  I had the part in the vice and was attempting to free a stuck bolt.  I had soaked it overnight with a Kano product I had good luck with before.  The bolt would not budge so naturally I went for the usual alternative of using a bigger hammer.  I put a wrench on the bolt and was about to give it a sharp smack when my brain kicked in - sorta.  What if I hit this wrench and it flies off the bolt, travels across the garage and dents my pretty looking car?  That would not be good I say to myself and promptly build a barrier of boxes between the bench and the car.  Fealing good that I had averted what could have been a mood changing experience I proceeded to smack the wrench. Ka-twang!  Sure enough the bolt does not give and the wrench flies accross the garage towards my box barricade.  I could only watch in horror as the wrench sailed neatly through a gap in the boxes no bigger than the width of the wrench, maybe 1/2 inch :o :o :o :o.  Bang! The wrench inpacts the drivers side front fender and leaves a 3/4" crease down to the metal in the one area of the fender it is impossible to get to in order to massage the crease out.  The crease is so sharp even the dent doctor won't attempt a repair.  I swear that crease is visable from any angle and any distance >:(

interpretation for our non-american speaking frinds:
wrench = spanner
fender = wing
hammer = persuader
inch = 2.54cm
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

johnjbc

Planning to put the snowplow from my old truck onto the front of my Kubota. The brackets have been on there for about 10 years getting salt splashed up on them. >:( >:(
Guess I better get started.
Laid a piece of cardboard down in the nice warm sunshine  :)and crawled under. Put the 1 1/8 socket on one end and a 1 1/8 wrench on the other end , gave a little pull and it came right loose  :)an spun off finger tight :). Three more same way.
Crawled out and noticed I hadn't removed the hydraulic hoses. Good thing I hadn't pulled it out of the frame end channels the hoses would have broken. ::) ::)
Removed the 4 bolts through the frame holding the front of the bracket, gave a little pull and the whole works came right loose from the truck. :D :D
And I was worrying about how hard this was going to b eee

Ring ring ring

There goes the alarm clock. Was having a nice dream. My shoulder hurts from pulling on the wrench and I have burns on my arms from the sparks from the Acetylene Torch. Maybe if I had soaked the bolts in Rust Reaper they would have come loose.
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Jeff

I thought I would inject something here before we hear from Ken who wins!  I git a chance to visit the Pigorsh's today and had a very great time. I wanted to show you something mike has over in his gallery that I got to see that is very cool. He just got it this past fall and is looking forward to good weather so he can get it out of the garage.  I wish I would have had my camera today!

http://www.rustreaper.com/gallery/PowerWagon

sawguy21

Dr buck, I had a similar experience on a late 50's Dodge. Problem was, I knew about them left hand thread lugs. I keep having those brain farts.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jeff

I had the same left hand thread problem on a 65 plymouth belvedere. Really had a mess before I figured out the left hand thread deal. I was only 15, and it was my first american made car. My firt car was one of the ugliest ever that I bought when I was 15 wit hmoney earned working for my brother in law. A $50 Opal Kadett

slowzuki

slowzuki

The winner of the contest has been picked, but first, thanks to everyone for the great stories!  In fact a little element of chance had to be introduced to pick between the top stories...

...and the winner of the contest is Percy 8)

I believe you need to send your info in an email to Jeff B to claim your RUSTREAPER prize!

Thanks again to everyone for their stories and you can add more if ya want, just no more prizes :D  Rustreaper is a sponser too so it can be purchased to help out with your stucks too!  They make a great product and support the FF so try some out!

http://www.rustreaper.com/

redpowerd

ill haveta agree, the oily cat was quite the knee slapper.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

EZ

Congrats Percy. O, by the way, nice truck dude. ;D
EZ

Percy

Heya Ken/everyone
Thanks for pickin me. I liked them all(stories) and woulda picked DR.Buck ifn I had to choose. Thanks again and Ill email Jeff right away.
EEEEEEhawwwww I won :D :D :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Thank You Sponsors!