iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dog gone gone and done it

Started by music_boy, February 13, 2005, 09:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

music_boy

Well, I finally did it. ::) Forgot to put the log dogs in the down position while I was triming the flitch pieces. >:(  I was using the remaining cant as a back stop to trim the flitches and forgot I had the stops up. zzzzzzziiiiiinnnnngggggg The unmistakable sound of metal on metal. Rollar on top of the stop is a little rough now, but the blade is quite useful if you want to cut scalloped cornice trim. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Glad to be a member of the dog sawing club but will try to keep the future incidence to a minimum. ;D
Ya'll
Rick
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

Tom

Fla._Deadheader

Yep, yer a full-fledged Sawyer, now. Welcome to the club.  ;D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

MULE_MAN

Well that's what life all about . Making memories  ::)    Only some of
them aren't  always so good    ;D   Kind of makes you a little paranoid sometime's  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

thecfarm

I have a manual bandsaw mill and I've done it too.Twice so far.Once I only took the paint off,but that all it takes.Hope I can always count the times.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

iain

That's all it takes to become a pro :D :D

iain

Swede

Welcome in the PDSC, music_boy!

How many teeth did You loose? I lost nine in a ray in first try at my old manual 1" solid poles.  8) Can´t wait to try the new hydraulic  2x2x1/4" with bearings on the tops. 

Congratulations!

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

WV_hillbilly

Yep   That is a very distinct sound . I have heard it twice so far  .  It's only a matter of time for it happens again . :D   Welcome to the club I've only been a member for about a month .
Hillbilly

Minnesota_boy

That's a pretty good start!  From now on you can see how many different parts of the mill can be hit with the blade.  I've got plenty of shiny spots and a box of old blades to prove who did it too. ;D :o
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

WH_Conley

Ya gotta test them blades somehow :D :D :D
Bill

DR_Buck

I think your supposed to do that right after putting on a new blade. :D  At least that's when I usually do it.  ;D

I've looked in the user manual to see if I could find just when your supposed saw the dogs and couldn't find it.  So it must be right after installing the new blade...cause I wouldn't do the wrong thing. ;D ;D ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Swede

QuoteYa gotta test them blades somehow
:D :D :D
My test says that new Monkey blades cut metal better than Suffolk/Håkanssons.  8)

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Daren

I built my own saw deck, I made the dogs out of aluminum and painted them bright yellow (after the first time I hit one). The aluminum didn't ruin the blade, the pair of vice grips I had clamped to the deck as a helper on a odd shaped log knocked the crap out of some teeth though.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

redpowerd

its amazing what kind of a chunk of metal these blades can cut thru, id say the kasco stops are 3/4'x2', and it looks like the guy that owned the mill before me ran them thru a pencil sharpner.
ive only hit em twice, enough for me.

then you try and cut a pine knot just right with a fresh blade and the sucker dives.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

MrMoo

Like CFarm I skinned the paint off one of mine. Does that make us members of the dog skinners club?  :D
Don't believe you've really had the thrill of sawing until you hit the dogs.

DextorDee

Maybe we should make up some T shirts for those of us who have been there done that :)
What would it say? hmmmmmmmm
Mite even make a hit song , country or blues?  ::)
Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

sandmar

I always try to hit the dog  on my WM right up under the roller on top...that way you can't see the shiny metal as much and cuts down  on folks snickering and saying "whut happened rat cheer?"  ::)

Sandmar

music_boy

How bout'

DOG CUTTERS
         or
Have You Cut Your Dog Lately

:D :D :D :D
That on a T-shirt will get you some questions ;D
Somebody throw in some art work
Rick

It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

farmerdoug

Try
'Dog Skinner'
or
'Have dogs, Will saw'
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Roxie

I sawed the dogs...and the dogs won. 8)
Say when

MULE_MAN

Good one Roxie,!! Now finish the song & I'm sure it will be a hit
with the Sawyers   8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

TN_man

The other day my wife was working with me and she said that I was going to hit the dog. I looked down the log and thought I was going to miss. Since the dog was postioned on a knot I did not want to have to move it since it would require moving the whole log. Well, a couple of second later, "zing". I knicked the top of the dog just barely. What was worse was having to tell my wife that she was right. :(
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

pappy

Quote from: TN_man on February 16, 2005, 07:12:09 AM
What was worse was having to tell my wife that she was right. :(

Don't you just hate it when that happens  ;D ;D
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Roxie

Just for you Mule Man, I'll finish the song...of course you do know that you have to be a certain 'age' to know the tune!   :D  Here goes:

Sawing flitch pieces in the hot sun
I sawed the dog and the dog won

Using that cant hook as a backstop

I hit those dogs and I feel so bad
I guess my blade is through
And she's the best blade I've ever had
8)

May Tommy Janes and the Shondells forgive me!  
Say when

music_boy

How bout

Cuttin oak logs in the hot sun,

I sawed the dogs and the dogs won,

I had a sharp blade, now I got none

I sawed the dogs and the dogs won
I sawed the dogs and the dogs won
;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D
Rick
"The Dog Cutter"

Roxie

8)  I love it!
Your age isn't on your profile, but you just gave it away!!   8) 8)
Say when

DR_Buck

Quote  May Tommy Janes and the Shondells forgive me! 

"I Fought The Law" was written by Sonny Curtis of the Crickets and recorded by them on May 18, 1959 at Bell Sound Studio in NYC.

The song was released on the album "In Style With The Crickets" on December 5, 1960 on Coral (CRL 57320 Mono, CRL 757320 Stereo). This was of course after the passing of Buddy Holly; one can only speculate what would have become of this song had it been recorded before his death.

The most commercially successful version was recorded by The Bobby Fuller Four and released on the Mustang label in October 1965. The single peaked at number 9 on February 12, 1966. The Bobby Fuller Four were:

Bobby Fuller - Vocals/Guitar
Jim Reese - Lead Guitar
Randall Fuller - Bass
Dwayne Quirico - Drums

"I Fought The Law" has also been recorded by Tom Petty, The Clash, Hank Williams Jr, Marshall Crenshaw, Sam Neely and rerecorded by Sonny Curtis.

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Furby

Yep, no age thing to it as far as I'm concerned. ;)

Faron

I was sawing with a good customer the other day.  We mostly quartersaw for him, and do a lot of changing of thickness, etc, as he sees different patterns in the wood.  We had made several changes on a cant, and I missed lowering my clamp and hit it with the debarker blade.  Cut a notch in the  clamp, and knocked a carbide tooth off the debarker.  :( As I looked for my extra blade, my customer apologized for distracting me. " I'm responsible for that. " he said.  " If I hadn't been changing so often, you would never have done that.  This one is on me."  I didn't know whether he meant he was just taking the blame, or if he was offering to buy me a new blade, so I thought I would have a little fun with him.  "Am I ever glad you said that," I said. "That cutter runs about $800.00!"   ;)  "WHAT!" he exclaimed, as his eyes got big and his face got red. :D ;D  In about two seconds he realized he had been had.  I turned to my dad, who was over in the corner laughing. "I think he is going to crawfish on that responsibility part!"
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Thank You Sponsors!