iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

beech rot or what?

Started by Husky, February 13, 2005, 04:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Husky

Why is it that a lot of beech seem to have a split at the bottom of the trunk? These were not used as bumper trees either, it sort of looks like that but its not from skidders, or other trees being pulled through. After a few years it seems to rot the tree and become hollowed out?

SwampDonkey

I've seen this also. It can be porcupine chewing the bark or even black bear clawing damage. Have ya ever noticed in good seed years, after the leaves, there looks to be a nest of twigs in the canopy? That's black bear and you'll see their claw marks as they climbed the tree. Often times if the bark is chewed by a porcupine at the base, then you'll see top limb damage also. I've seen it in maple also.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Corley5

The splits are usually caused by frost in the wood and then rot moves into them.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thecfarm

Nature of the beast?I'm here in Maine and have seen the same thing.Cut into one and thought I hit a spring.Water poured out of the tree.Most of the beech trees I have are like yours.I only know of one that looks good.Probaly more,but I haven't found them yet. Most of mine are more than 60 years old and are rotted hearted bad.Yes,it's past time to havest them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

On a couple harvest tracts I marked to leave the smooth beech. They were scattered among the bad ones.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

NESL_Supply

My experience has been that the cracks are from the cold, frost cracks, beech tends to do that, the bigger it gets, I am sure the damage does not help things any though either, just helps the frost get in there  8)

populus

There is a common misunderstanding of "frost cracks."  In fact, these are never caused by frost or severe cold, but by decay fungi. Trees do develop frost cracks in extremely cold weather. I recall camping out in the Adirondacks at -55 F and listening to the rifle-shot sounds of trees popping all around.  Careful inspection of frost-cracked trees shows that they were infected by decay fungi before they cracked, not after.  Decay causes weakening in the wood which probably makes the trees susceptible to crackiing on cold weather.  So frost cracking is really a symptom of infection by decay fungi.

Beech bark disease is rampant in the northeast.  Beech bark disease is caused by a scale insect and a fungus. Trees with weakened or dead bark become infested with insects and infected with decay.  Trees with beech bark disease often have rough bark,  oddly shaped wounds and splits at the base.  It is possible that the trees you are seeing have this disease and the secondary decay that comes with the disease.

SwampDonkey

Populus,

Good points and I concur. I've even seen these cracks form on trees in our permanent sample plots, because of aluminum nail holes.

cheers

Minnesota_boy

Populus,
I'll have to differ with you on the frost cracks, because I see trees here that have frost cracks nearly to the heart and no decay at all.  Mostly red and bur oaks.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

SwampDonkey

Frost cracking I've seen on fir is due to butt rot and the tree tries to heal the crack. Usually see pitch oozing out the crack. On hardwood I see it from forked trees, tension wood and spiral grained trees.

woodbeard

I have heard it said around here, that the beech trees grow up quicker than the others ( at that stage of succession ) and often get struck by lightning causing wounds that rot. From the looks of the beech trees I see, this sounds plausible. They are very often hollow. Maybe just folklore, though?

populus

The science on cracking is pretty solid. Extensive decay is not necessary for cracking. As Shigo showed, and others have confirmed,  cracks always focus around old wounds from root dieback or stem injury. It may not be apparent that there is decay except on careful inspection. 

Beech wood rots if you look at it cross-eyed.  Most of the beech I used to see in the Adirondacks had butt rot and hollow stems, even before the arrival of beech bark disease.  I was told by my silviculture professor that this resulted from old logging damage in the 19th century. Most of the beech was left behind in the first  logging, in favor of maple and birch and the stems were probably wounded. Or the roots were wounded, which will eventually cause decay to extend into the stem.

SwampDonkey

Populus,

That's the way I see it too. I'll show anyone lots of frost cracks on old growth hardwood, mostly hollow or rotten. You can slip yer hand inside some of the older cracks as there is nothing left inside, just a shell ouside. ;D

Ironwood

Populus,

Well since noone else responded," I recall camping out at -55 and "  Gotta love the Daks for that bite you in the butt cold. I spent a night @ -20 air temp on Jack Rabbit trail on the back side of Pitchoff Mtn. I still tell stories of how asa I exhailed the vapor turned to ice crystals and fell back into my "face" in the mummy bag, this is one of several memories that will flash before me as I die, increadible. I can't imagine it any colder....-55 WOW.

REID (vertical ice climber in previous life)
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

populus

Thanks, Reid. Yeah, -55 was amazing (temperature was recorded at the Wanakena ranger station). Our ensolite foam pads were like plywood - we had to lash them full-lenght to our packs. Our little container of Amaretto turned to slush. Scared the bejesus out of us - we got out the next morning.    Pitchoff is a great winter peak!  I've been way colder in the high peaks in winter than at -55 in Five Ponds - those winds will eat you up. 

Ironwood

POPULUS, I hope to get back to that outdoor lifestyle soon (three year olds don't hold up well at those temps.). He's growing up fast so there's hope.

REID
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Back40x2

Quote from: populus on March 03, 2005, 11:30:43 PM
There is a common misunderstanding of "frost cracks."  In fact, these are never caused by frost or severe cold, but by decay fungi. Trees do develop frost cracks in extremely cold weather. I recall camping out in the Adirondacks at -55 F and listening to the rifle-shot sounds of trees popping all around.  Careful inspection of frost-cracked trees shows that they were infected by decay fungi before they cracked, not after.  Decay causes weakening in the wood which probably makes the trees susceptible to crackiing on cold weather.  So frost cracking is really a symptom of infection by decay fungi.

TO add to this, the rifle shots you hear are due to that!  What makes the noise however is the same thing as shots on a lake.  The tree where the rot is has moisture.  WHen moisture freezes it expands, hense the the "Rifle Shots"  Moisture sets in, freezes BANG ;)
Beech bark disease is rampant in the northeast.  Beech bark disease is caused by a scale insect and a fungus. Trees with weakened or dead bark become infested with insects and infected with decay.  Trees with beech bark disease often have rough bark,  oddly shaped wounds and splits at the base.  It is possible that the trees you are seeing have this disease and the secondary decay that comes with the disease.
My JD 4120 Loader/Hoe/fransgard winch, a 10,000 pound Warn winch, STIHL 460,  Timberking 1600,  Lots of logs, a shotgun, rifle, my German Shorthaired Pointers and a 4-wheel drive, is all this Maine boy needs to survive!! Oh Yeah, and my WIFE!!!!!!

Thank You Sponsors!