iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Different species for timber framing

Started by TGB, February 11, 2005, 10:04:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TGB

I'm in the process of designing a worshop for myself. I have plenty of red oak to build the frame with (6000 bft) but here's my question; other than the standard species used for framing (oak, pine, doug. fir & spruce) has anyone used white ash and balsam fir for a frame. I have a lot more of these trees than I have oak or pine. I know balsam fir isn't a very strong wood but for a smaller frame (20 x 28) could it be incorporated in it somewhere.
I'd like to add that this is a great forum for self builders like myself. I've been reading the posts on this forum for about 2 weeks now and have really learned a lot. I have both Steve Chappell 's and Ted Benson's books on timber framing I highly recomend both of them.

Buzz-sawyer

Hi there
I have used white ash for building material(2x4 2x6) and it is as strong as oak, and easy to work...until dry...then its harder than oak :D
Excellent

I made some sidding out of it once also...held up well.I am not sure how long it will last.IE 20-30 years? or more or less?
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Greg

No first hand experince myself, but I keep hearing from lots of other folks that

- Ash checks/warps pretty bad and
- bugs will really go after Ash

I too am tempted to defy conventional wisdom and try it out for a few braces first, and see how it goes, as it is a very common species of tree around here (SW Ohio).

If bugs are the only issue, there are insecticides you can apply to the wood.

Good luck,
Greg

submarinesailor

While we are talking about types of wood, has anyone used yellow poplar on timber framing projects?  Been told it has about the same properties as SYP.  I have about thirty acres of it in all different sizes.  Any info would be greatly appreciated. 

TGB

Greg,

I've not heard about the insect problem with ash, but I've seen the warping and checking problem with some flat sawn material I have but I'm sure it could be controlled if you pay attention on how you store and dry it.
I'd be real interested on any feedback anyone has on the use of balsam fir for framing because I have a ton of it on my property.

TGB

Tony_T

If your using ash as soon as you drop the tree and buck the logs get some anchor seal on the ends, use two coats.  This will minimize end checking.  Its a good idea to apply this to the ends of the timbers after  cutting them to lenght and/or doing the joinery too.  In dry weather even a day or two sitting and the ends will start to check.  I have not encountered problems with warping so far when I boxed the center of the log for the beams I cut.

The bug problem with ash is powder post beetles.  Kilning will kill them

As far as it being good framing timber I know Richard Babcock uses it when he can't find oak.  It hews real easy and its nearly as strong as oak. 

The only other negative I can think of is ash has little rot resistance.

ARKANSAWYER

Ash can be used for frames and is a strong wood.  The only real problem is the PPB's getting into it.  Even after it is dried they just love it.  Once in place and it gets infected there is not much you can do.  If it was oiled good they may never get started.  ???
  Do not got no fir down here so I can not help you with that.
  I have seen frames made from just about everything.  I have seen some out west that were made from cotton wood with is like poplar.  If you use a wood with little rot restance then make sure you have good over hangs and keep it dry.  I took a barn down in MO for the wood and the 4x10 rafters were basswood.  I thought the size was a bit over kill till I took one loose and could carry two of them 12 ft long.  Barn had been standing since the mid 1920's as best as any one knew.  Would not have been my choice of woods.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!