iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Electronic Pet Fence

Started by chet, February 10, 2005, 08:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chet

I am considering getting an underground fence for our dog. Anyone have some insight as what I should look for when I go shopping?
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

You got lots a time to think about it chet. Frost dont go out up there til when, early july? 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chet

Got ta git ready. My hound dawg is just itchin' ta run. I want to fence in at least about 5 acres. I've heard some models you can just lay the wire on the ground, it doesn't even have to be buried.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

macpower

The good ones will cost some bucks, but they work great. It takes a bit of training for the dog to catch on, but once they do the fences work great.
I installed one made by "Smart Dog". It can be used as a training collar with a remote control also. I have an Australian Cattle Dog that is a bit headstrong, it really keps him in check.
You do need to bury the wire or everything going by will snag it, (kids on 4wheeler included).
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

leweee

Chet ... It depends on the dog .... you'll have better luck if it's a puppy. Some dogs out grow the fear of the shock....aggresive types :P  Most people  I've talked to said it worked for a while. ::)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

gmmills

Chet,

WE have the Invisable Fence brand . It keeps our two dogs in check.  It does seem to be a pricey investment, but the best thing we ever did.  They do have a battery back up system if you lose electric power and it does work. Maybe something to consider.

Gary
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

GareyD

I helped a friend install one at his house...it seems to work backwards of what we expected....

His dog gets excited and ignores the shock going out of the yard....but won't come back into the yard because of getting shocked.. :o :o :o
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends, if they're okay, then it's you.

chet

Lewee,
The dog is still a pup and it does train well. But it has one big problem, its a hound. He's going to want to run, and that's fine. I just want to control how far he runs.  ;D

Quartlow

We have the Invisable Fence brand also, works great on my chocalate lab, It doesn't even have to be on. She knows where that wire is buried and won't go near it even with out the collar on.

The black one, doesn't phase him walks right over it and walks right back.  ::) Of course he is also the one that unlaces the dog run ::) ::) had to hook a fencer up to the dog run to get him to leave it alone. Of course the real shocker was when the wife went to let them out before I got a chance to tell her about it :D :D She probably wouldn't have been too mad if I hadn't watched her do it though  ::) ;D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Roxie

I looked into the electronic fence, and I insisted on trying the collar on myself to get an idea of what the dog would be subjected too....I decided against the shock collar idea all together.  
It seemed to me that it was teaching that bad things happen for no reason that is apparent to the dog.  
My solution was that when I was around, the dog was with me.  When I'm not around the dog is in an enclosed kennel where he can't get into trouble, and trouble can't get to him.  
That's my take on it.  I've witnessed other dog owners that experienced the dog busting through the barrier to get out, but wouldn't come back through the barrier.  I didn't want to take that chance.
Say when

leweee

Chet.... you need a radio collar and one of those hand held recievers :P
         At least you'll be able to tell what county he's in. ::) :)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

MemphisLogger

Chet,

I hate to throw cold water on your plans but I wouldn't hold much hope that your hound will pay much mind to the electric collar.  ;)

We tried one on my bluetick and all it did was get a different pitch outta his voice every time he went through it   ;D

What kinda hound ya got anyhow?

Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

chet

A guy I used to work with had a couple Golden labs. Da Dang dogs would always chew a hole in the chain link fence of their kennel. He would patch da hole and da next day they would have it chewed out again.  Many times he would get da call to stop at da animal shelter on his way home from work. Then we tried Quartlow's trick. We took my cattle fencer and hooked it to a fine wire just outside the hole they kept opening up. We didn't even patch the hole.  After a couple of days we removed the fencer, still never patching the hole. The dogs never escaped again, even with the hole in their fence.  ;D

Furby

My parents had one years ago. Worked for a day or two, but never worked right after that. Didn't matter because the Golden was one of the head strong kind that wasn't going to stop just because of a little poke.

My neighbors put one in a year or so ago. They had the flags up less then a week, and that black lab won't even come close to crossing where the wire is, even with the collar off and one of the kids trying to get her to cross. Good thing too, because their yard is a corner lot on a VERY busy street. Sorry but I don't know what make their unit is.

I tend to think that they just won't work with some dogs, but ya never know until you try.
Five acres is gonna cost ya to lay that much wire, and it really should be in the ground. They do have the collars with a handheld trigger. It can be a bit of work, but you can train the dog that way by watching and hitting the button whenever it comes close to the line you don't want crossed. If the dog is one that will play by the rules ::) you won't need to watch anymore, and no wire to handle.

Paul_H

Quote from: Roxie on February 10, 2005, 09:20:36 PM
I looked into the electronic fence, and I insisted on trying the collar on myself to get an idea of what the dog would be subjected too....

Wow Roxie  :o

You must be tough I don't know if I'd put one on at gunpoint  :D
Chet should have a pretty good idea what it feels like though because I saw him working on Jeff's old chainsaw at the pig roast.The sparkplug that close to the handle bar seems like a bit of a design flaw ::)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

chet

Paul,
You jist gave me one heck of an idea.  8)  I could tie dat DanG blamed saw of Jeff's to da dog, and then by remote control give da pooch a little bite when ever he needed it.   ;D

Scott,
I got a Redbone.

wiam

My uncle worked for a guy that liked to take his dog for a ride in the car.  After a while the dog would not get in the car.  My uncle told him if he would take the collar off before he drove over the wire the dog might learn to ride again.

Will

CHARLIE

Hey dar Chet!  I been thinking and come up wid a lotta possibilities.  Lay that wire down and put the collars on your dawg.  Then get some extra collars and put them on the bears and the coyotes and wolves. That way yore fence will do double duty. It will keep the dawg in and the bears and other critters out. You'd be gettin' your moneys worth dat way. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Furby

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I want to see video of Chet trying to put one of them collars on a bear!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

moosehunter

We have had a fence from Cabela's for 1.5 years so far. Great investment. They have stronger collars for the tough dogs.
Training...... don't skip it, don't cut corners, do it the way the manufacturer tells you to.
Every time I hear of someone having trouble with there system, they seem like the kind of people that never read directions!
Biggest problem; Wife with shovel and new rose bush she got for her birthday.( " honey, the fence alarm is going off" "Thats becouse you just planted your rose bush in it" " No, I am nowhere near the fence" " I'll go get the wire repair kit"!!! ;D
Moosehunter
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

moosehunter

Chet,
The best way to install the wire yourself. Rent a large gas powered edger. Have one person run the edger, the other goes right behind and puts in the wire. The "ditch" is so narrow that it heals itself.
Took me about 1 hour to do 800 ft.
Moosehunter
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

MemphisLogger

Chet,

Is the Redbone a male? If so, I'd be real surprised if the collar works.

My bluetick could not be stopped from running when he had his cajones--I'd regularly get calls from a juke joint about a mile from my house that he was singing for BBQ. Literally. My dog has played with some of the best bluesmen in the Delta.  8)

After the dog catcher finally got him and snipped his jewels before I could get to the pound, he's been much better about running around town. Now he just works the bottoms next to my house. I guess he's still got the drive to tree but lost his call for the bitches.

Are you in the city?       
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Buzz-sawyer

Regarding your blue tick you said,"I guess he's still got the drive to tree but lost his call for the bitches."
A sad fate that eventually befalls all I supose??

HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

MemphisLogger

Doesn't have to, Buzz . . .

Jest keep eatin' yer grits!

Buzz-sawyer

Just an observation from watch hounds with many more miles on them :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Thank You Sponsors!