iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making Ready, The Smoke House

Started by Kevin_H., February 10, 2005, 10:36:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin_H.

We test fired the smoke house a couple of days ago, getting it ready for 400lbs. of deer sausage. Mmmm, I can taste it already.

I will take some pics of the stuff'n while in progress and post 'em here.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

D._Frederick

Kevin,

Do you have that "wasting disease" in the deer herd were you are?

Kevin_H.

D._Frederick
I have not heard anything about it.

Since I built and maintain the smoke house I dont have to do any of the hunting. so when deer season starts, I get to stay in my nice warm house. ;D

Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

tnlogger

deer sausage,grits and eggs the breakfast of champions  ;D
gene

Weekend_Sawyer

Can't wait for more on this mouth watering thread!
Please include your ingredients.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

MULE_MAN

Now why is it every time food is mention ??? Somebody has to bring
up GRITS !!!  I guess one of these  days, I'll have to try them ???
Maybe the second Tuesday of next week    :D  :D  :D  ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

Paschale

Looks great Kevin!   8)  What hardwood are you planning on using?  Do you get much fishing done down there?  That sure would be handy for nice smoked fish too!  Giddy up!!!!
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Cedarman

You've got my curiosity up.  I love smoked food.  Will plans be available?Southern Ill aint too far from me, so do you let strangers come around?
Smoked deer sausage and some grits with maple syrup.(Please don't throw any rocks, you purists)Mmmmmm.

Looks like you have it figured out.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Kevin_H.

I really have no idea what is in the ingredients...We mix the deer with pork 50/50 and then mix in the cure. We buy the cure premade from a local butcher shop in bags to do 100lbs. Last year on top of the cure we mixed in some minced garlic.

Paschale, I build the fire with oak and then throw in some green hickory and cherry, sure does smell good, Unfortunitly I dont get to fish much, sold the boat last year cause I never had time to use it.

Cedarman, Really not much to it, just 6' x 10' with a slanted roof, We just pipe the smoke in back and let it roll out the roof. Your are more than welcome to stop by and take a look, Shoot just bring your trailer and I will even let you borrow the DanG thing.

Here is the front with the plywood door off.

The inside is lined with plastic to hold as much smoke as possible, here is the flue pipe comming in from the burn pit.

Jeff

Since I see there has been nobody qualified offer yet, and I have waited see if there would be one, I am stepping up and volunteering my services as a taste tester /quality control rep for your smoker.  Let me know if you need a shipping address for me or if you happen to have it ready. When should I expect the first of my work to arrive?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin_H.

We'll let it hang for a about a month after it smokes, the little smokey's will be ready before than. Jeff I will get ya some just as soon as it's ready to go. Heck if'n there any left come august I will bring some for the whole class... ;D

Jeff, We will make sure to vacuum pack your stuff so the ups man cant smell it, dont want any of it comming up missing.

Jeff

Thats a good Idear,  I figure if you let out smell yer letting out taste. ;D As I am now official taste tester I feel its my duty to let you in on things like that.)

EZ

This is pretty cool, Kevin.
I remember my dad doing the smoking thing but I was to young to remember antthing about it, except the eating part.
EZ

ohsoloco

I was working on my timberframing skills last year by building a 6'x6' smokehouse out of white oak....5x5 cornerposts, 4x6 girts, 3x5 braces, 2x10 rafters.  Think it'll fall over  ???  ::)

Didn't get to do any bologna this year (no venison), but we always mix ours with beef rather than pork.  I did, however, smoke some salmon and cheese last weekend....smoked cheese is the best.  It makes the best cheese steaks and grilled cheese sammiches ever  ;D  I like to use apple to smoke with, but this year I just buzzed up some mulberry branches and tossed them in so they'd be good and green.  I'll have to dig out my dad's recipie for deer bologna and post it since we make our own...I think it's for making 60# 

Never thought of using plastic to trap in more smoke Kevin...good idea  ;)

sprucebunny

Only got one of the little Brinkmans but there was whole chickens for 49c a pound today so the smoke will be rolling tomorrow. ;D
Your sausages and bolognas sure sound good ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Cedarman

I do believe my desire to stop by was maybe too subtle as to my true aspirations.  I had hoped that in stopping by I might be asked to sample the fine smoked delicacies. Next time I'll just git it out there and say I sure would like to stop by and taste test.

Kevin_H.

Cedarman ,
You just let me know when you will be by and we will slice some up, sit down with some crackers and cheese, maybe even fix a few of the worlds problems...

ohsoloco  Tell me more about this smoked cheese, like what kind of cheese did ya use, how did ya hang it and for how long, cause I gotta tell ya, a smoked grilled cheese sandwich sounds real good.

Cedarman

Tom

Too bad you don't have mullet.   Man!  Are they good smoked.

Jeff

I just don't think I could get past that burnt hair smell. :-X

Tom

Mullet don't have hair.  They have Gizzards though. :D :D

Jeff

I beg to differ....  Have you done a google on mullet?

tnlogger

now i'll agree with tom  ;D smoked mullet  with a side dish of grilled roe. now that just might be better then grits  :D on second thought just mix the roe with the grits mmmmmmmm good ;D
gene
gene

Tom

Well, I'll be DanGed!

I was exasperated when the modern society of creative language destroyed the perfectly good words: Queer, Gay, Bad, and a myriad of other descriptive terms that once meant something else...... but, Mullet as a hair style?   Those guys......... er.....gals?....  er ...uh ....hmmm.....uh individuals (?) must have some inkling that they are giving the impression that they are wearing a fish on their head.     :D  Boy are they dumb!  That's plumb stupid.   Mullet head.    :D :D Mullet Head  :D :D :D :D    OH!   That's rich :D :D :D Mullet heads   :D :D :D Haa Ha-a-a-   .........Oh my sides.....  hee heee  hee   oh.......  it hurts.   oh my goodness..  Mullett head ...  a-a-a   ha-a-a-a-a   ;D ;D ;D :D

My!   I've gotta go get something to eat........  Mullet head..  ( giggle)

SwampDonkey

Right up there with mutten head ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!