Sponsors:

Stumped?

Started by Bibbyman, April 23, 2002, 07:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Ok, I`m almost done ...

Husqvarna Manual

Notching

QuoteStart making the upper notch cut on the side of the tree facing the felling direction.
Look through the kerf as you saw the lower cut so you do not saw too deep into the trunk.
The notch should be deep enough to create a hinge of sufficient width and strength.
The notch opening should be wide enough to direct the fall of the tree as long as possible.

Page 62
Basic Rules For Felling Trees
Husqvarna Operators Manual

There seems to be two methods for making the felling notch, I don`t know if it`s an East/West thing or old/new thingy.

Use what works best for you!

I`m outa here ... for now   8)

Tillaway

Here are some pictures of west coast cutters in action.  While you are looking at these be sure to check out the whole album.
http://www.madsens1.com/borde1.htm
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

splinters

speaking as another self confused I have questions. You speak of notch up/down and a humbolt cut. Any advantages of one over the other and what is a humbolt.

Corley5

Those pics at Madsen's are impressive.  Seeing those guys cutting from spring boards gives me chills :o.  Not for me
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

L. Wakefield

QuoteDanG... There are actually sights on the chain cover and flywheel cover of professional saws.  They are two raised ridges that are designed to be line op just like rifle sights.  These sights are 90 degrees to the bar.  You cut in... and get down on your knees... and look down the sights just like a rifle (gunning).  That is where your face cut (undercut) is aimed.  Some saws may not have them so use the handle bar.  The handle bar is often (but not always) roughly 90 degrees (perpendicular) to the bar.

Ouch! Please don't tell me you also make the cut while still on your knees??! That would kinda ruin the quick getaway scenario, eh?    lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Kevin

That`s not for making the cut , that`s to pray it falls the way you want it to because you made your cuts backwards.   :D

Tillaway

Wise guy ;D if you lived south of the equator, then you would have an excuse. ;D Canadians...Paul...back me up here with your fellow countryman. Of yea thats right hes from Ontario. ::) ;D ;D
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Paul_H

Tillaway,We're not really a part of Canada out here.We're on waivers,and that State of Jefferson,or Cascadia, seem like our best option. ;D
Those Easterners seem like an aimless lot,what with sights pointed at the ground and all. :D

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Paul_H

I better be carefull.My three closest neigbours are from OntarioMake that four neighbours,three named Jeff....?

Hey Kevin,Saskatchewan.Lets pick on them!
No,can't do that either.My wife said her mum is from Saskatoon. >:(

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

psychotic1

Hey!  I thought it was everybody pick on the Newfies?

I even heard a lady in canadian customs in BC pickin' on em.

Bruce
Patience, hell.  I'm gonna kill something

Bibbyman

I posted this picture a couple of weeks back of a nice stack of walnut logs.  About half were veneer and the rest good grade logs.  

As Mary sorted them out,  I was shown one log that would have been a veneer except that it had been busted up on felling.  The log broker said about 4' had already been trimmed off the butt.

Some damage is pretty obvious.

Some cracks show up in a few days and only get worse.

I got to looking and about 1 out of 10 butt cut logs had some kind of stump crack damage.  Sure enough,  the loggers were using the 'match cut' method of felling.  In short,  saw one side and then the other until the tree fell.  

I've seen this many times from loggers that had migrated from Southern Missouri.   I've pointed out to one logger how we use the notch and plunge cut to avoid damaging the butt cut but got the reply that 'I'd be laughed out of the woods down south.'  It's like religion and politics to them.  I don't see any way they'll adopt different methods.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Ron Wenrich

Also called jumping a tree.  I know one guy who used to use a very limited notch, especially on veneer butts.  He had no problem, since he knew that every split tree was money out of his pocket.  He also bored all the hearts to help eliminate the split.

I think a lot of loggers down south use the "pay-as-you-go" method for timber.  The pay for timber is dependent on what they get from the gate.  Really not much incentive to limit breakage or even do a very good job of bucking.

I've seen a lot of logs ruined due to poor bucking. Sweep, split, pooly positioned knots.  Sweep is a big killer of grade.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

rebocardo

> That is the "stump shot" is better able to protect you
> from the log sliding back across the stump.

This is why I think they tell you on an open face notch to make the back cut even with the intersecting angle. That way it pulls off the stump an unto the ground. When you cut two inches above the notch with an open face notch, close to the ground, the tree does not break all the way off and stands a good chance of coming back at you once the branches hit.

I realized the other day I had actually never seen a stump come off the log because once the tree starts to move, so do I and my eyes are usually on the upper part of the trunk.

Kevin

You'll get that with too high a back cut.
The wood actually pulls from the center of the tree and there is enough fiber at the hinge to keep the tree on the stump after felling.
I wouldn't make a back cut even with the apex intentionally.

Stephen_Wiley

Although the first half of this thread is a year old it still is indicitive of changes occuring throughout the logging world.

Unfortunately, not necessarily to the better.

Falling and bucking methods which were refined by many good men here in the Northwest.  Have failed to be taught to the mostly latin/american crews now beating the brush.

Kevin's posts on felling techniques would have found him without a job back in the 70's here in Oregon.  Directional falling starts with the horizontal face cut.   The under cut was on the stump opposed to on the log as Kevin has pictured. (Leave the wood on the log).

However,  Kevin's techniques are sound in the safe operation of felling.  So please for those of you learning, keep in mind there are two schools of skilled techniques of  felling. They have been developed first in logging and in the past few years arborists have begun to focus on .

I guess Kevin thought that the sighting bars were for aiming at the ground.........where he hopes the tree will go! :D

" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Kevin

We had fun with this one!
I use three notches, the open face,conventional and humbolt when saving the butt log.
There's no need to gun the tree in some cases, the secret is getting the corners of the notch where you need them.
Even when you gun the tree with your saw it isn't exact enough for me.
Gunning sticks are much more accurate when putting the corners of the notch where they need to be.
Once the corners are marked the saws sighting line doesn't mean much.
This is a humbolt on a saw log ...

Thank You Sponsors!