iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lube at all times!!!

Started by bberry, February 06, 2005, 09:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bberry

I think that there are a few points that should be considered when you are considering using or not using lube.
    Lube of any kind will help to cool. The fluid will draw heat away from the tips even if you think there is no heat generated-there always is.
     Lube of any kind will cut friction. Friction will rob horse power and result in more fuel used. Remember spinning your tires on dry and wet pavement? Just think of spinning your tires on a diesel/bar mix!
     Lube will result in a molecular(film) surface between the blade and wheel. This is probably more important when using steel wheels. There has not been much said about what may be surface hardening of the blade. This would result in shortened life of a blade. The test for this may be a rockwell test on blades before and after long use. This may be only a small problem but worthy of a test by someone with test equipment.
     Last but not least lube of any kind may have antifungal properties which would help to diminish gray stains etc. There may also be some anti borer or pest benefits according to what lube is used.
     Can anyone add anymore benefits of lube?

Tagerts_crossing

All are good points I use lube (mostly water and a little soap) for the heat but mostly noise and dust reduction.  Not to hightec but sure helps me.  John
John Schoolcraft

EZ

To me, lube is a must. I use water and soap and in the winter I use winsheild washer fluid with the water and soap. I saw mostly large logs and the fluid helps 100 %. I sawed one large oak one time without the lube and after 200 BF the blade was done.
I also agree with John about the noise and dust.
EZ

sigidi

OK my name is Allan, and I'm a lube-aholic... ;)
Always willing to help - Allan

Swede

Quote............. diesel/bar mix..........

Mixed 50/50, for me it sounds like "SwedeLube"  ;D ;)
Need it every day I´m sawing.

Swede. *SwedeLube-aholic*
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Kirk_Allen

Swede,
In a 5 gallon drip tank would you use 2 1/2 gallons diesel and 2 1/2 gallons bar oil?  That seems like a lot of bar oil.

What are the advantages to using diesel over kerosene?

One thing that does come to mind is treating the lube with an insecticide.  I have LOTS of hickroy to cut and Im sure Poweder Post Beatles will be present.  If I pre mix the PPB killer with water I may actually kill some of them suckers while im cutting ;D

Husky

How much soap do you mix with the water per 5 gallons? I use 50/50 mix of windshield washer and water if its warm enough.

Brad_S.

Kirk,

Kill all the beetles you want, but there are only two Beatles left, so leave them alone! :D :D :D

(Sorry, I couldn't resist. I'm the last person in the world who should point out spelling errors but you threatend one of my favorite groups! ;))
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

bberry

It probably would not be advisable to put any kind of pesticide in the lube tank. It would not be a standardized way of delivery. It might not be very effective as well. It should be applied only according to the label. It would likely contaminate a small area(sawdust pile ) with a high concentration of insecticide. Also would anyone want to wear a filter mask while sawing. It's just too dangerous to mess with in a lube tank. If you think environmentalists cringe at diesel/bar lube just mention pesticides on lumber and you can forget any sales to them.
In Maine one needs an applicators license to use pesticides on anything that will end up with consumers.
     A diesel/bar mix by itself will certainly be unattractive to any bugs/beetles/borers at least during the drying stage. After planing there would probably not be any benefits since any miniscule amount on the surface would be gone.
     For those using a cup of detergent in 5 gallons of water as a lube I hear the organic people use lemon oil as a repellent for all kinds of bugs.  I would think a cup of that in the lube would not raise any hackles! Oh yeah I forgot garlic oil as a repellent. It does work.

WH_Conley

I like the garlic oil idea, wouldn't have to worry about spectaters. :D
Bill

Engineer

Yeah but the garlic oil would be great on regular 'taters.   :D

Grawulf

bberry

Have your garlic on the taters and grits too,
Drive off the borers and bugs with an oderiferous adieu,
But forget the tender kisses when you hear the wife say phew!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

FeltzE

Smelling toasted garlic all day, I'd be worried about snackin on the sawdust 8)

Swede

Kirk Allen;

I think 27/73-mix mostly works good too but 50/50 is  easyer to remember. :D :D :D :D :D Kerosene isn´t easy to find here and is more expensive. Thats why I use diesel.
Presumably there is onehundredandfiftyeleven other fluids you can use but carlic........ :o ::) :o :o No, not on Amerika-Sågen! NEVER! *Uäckkkkkkkkkk*

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

bberry

If you use a little garlic oil in your lube it might keep the black flies and mosquitos away! :D

Anyone using anything different as a lube? How about sharing lube mixture recipes.
     I am thinking of lubing both sides of my blade using two different small plastic tanks of the see through variety.Old weed wacker gas tanks should work good.  Using a thick piece of felt as wiper/spreader/applicator should work good. It may work better than a car wash pump system. Anyone done this?

Rod

My bandmill doesn't use lube and I can't see any reason I would need to use it.It cuts great without any lube.

thecfarm

I only have a manual bandsaw mill,but I was told to use half diesel and half bar and chain oil at a drip every second or two.Seems to work OK for me.I can tell when I forget to turn it on.It sounds differant.Blade is always clean.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bberry

Just found out neem oil might be added as a anti insect thing for you organically inclined sawyers. The debate over water/WW/detergent lube and diesel/bar oil lube continues. The guide ball bearings will get washed out using water/soap lube if they don't have grease fittings on them. The lumbermate doesn't have grease fittings and you will have to drive out the bearings and fill them with a syringe of oil. That will keep them going for a long time.

FeltzE

I was reading in "Timber Processing" today about one of the big mills and they commented about the saw shop etc, then a "lite vegetable oil" lube for the band mill and a Chevron lub for the edgers.

Eric

bberry

Never thought of vegetable oil. Bet the local school cafe would donate 5 gal of fryolator stuff about anytime. It would have to be thinned with a little diesel especially during cold weather. It should coat and stick nicely to the blade. Smells good too. They make those fake pies etc. so we should saw out french fries and throw in the smell for free! McWood Fries!:D :D :D It would be environmentally friendly to use the stuff up since it costs tax payers to have it "disposed" of.

bberry

Bringing this old lube topic to the front for the new Norwood members and others. Maybe new viewpoints will help everyone. ;)

FiremanEd

Rod,

Get a can of WD-40 and put just a squirt on the blade just before a couple cuts. I bet a big chunk of $ that you'll become a "lube-a-holic" real quick.

We run pure water until cold weather then go to 50/50 water and windshield washer fluid. That's good to about 10F, after that a add a 'few gallons" extra to the drum. A 55 gallon drum of lub runs us about a week. Less in hickory...

Eddie
Full time Firefighter / Paramedic
WoodMizer LT300 as secondary, full time job.
AccuTrac Electric Edger

PawNature

I run 75/25 diesel chain oil
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

brucehuggins

Kerocene and Bar Oil @ 2 or 3 : 1.  For 11 years with the same mill.  Delivered to the blade via a sprayer nozzle.  I use an old windex bottle to spray up everything prone to rust including stored blades, once in a while.  When a blade slows down you can hear it resume speed when it gets a squirt.  How can you say you have never used a lube and you cut just fine without it.  What is your experience base.  What is my experience base for making a statement?  I am just an ignorant fool who has used kerocene and oil as a lube for 11 years. 
Oldsawmillguy

dail_h

Kero ,'n bar oil. On this last bunch of heartpine beams,I clamped one of those cheap brass chip brushes next to the guide roller,was able to cut my drip back even more.I like the idea of felt wipers,will have to check with Cook's the next time I order blades
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

lamar

Water/soap/washer fluid(freezing) drip on blade on inside or log side of bearing,this helps keep water out of bearings. Also found from experimenting with drip control pipe cleaners inserted in side of tube allows me to bend and adjust coolant to cover blade better and can get it close to surface and it goes right into cut. Water tank is 5" plastic pipe full width of frame with knob adjuster right where it is easy to get to seeing this is a man. mill. it works very good but simple.

bberry

Cold weather and interest are enough to bring this old topic to the front. Any new information added would be helpful to everyone! 8)

Thank You Sponsors!