iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chain types links 2 and 1?

Started by minesmoria, February 04, 2005, 05:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

minesmoria

I have a chainĀ  oregon 73 20" this chain has a cutter than two drive links and another cutter.

I like this type of chain it seem to cut faster and take bigger chipes out also much faster to sharpeing.

Second i have an oregon 72 24" which has a cutter than one drive link than another cutter this chainĀ  has more cutters takes longer to sharpeing and does not work as good.

So why does one chain have 2 links apart from cutter and the other only one.

Is the 73 full chisel?

jokers

73 refers to the particular chain being .058 gauge while the 72 chain is .050. Those numbers have nothing to do with cutter sequence.

The 73 chain that you describe is a full skip chain while the 72 chain is full or standard compliment. What type cuts better is a matter of application.

Russ

minesmoria

Quote from: jokers on February 04, 2005, 07:03:40 PM
73 refers to the particular chain being .058 gauge while the 72 chain is .050. Those numbers have nothing to do with cutter sequence.

The 73 chain that you describe is a full skip chain while the 72 chain is full or standard compliment. What type cuts better is a matter of application.

Russ

I find the full skip chain cuts faster stays sharper longer and  works faster.

I never will buy standard chain again!

jokers

OK! But you didn`t have to say it twice! :D

Russ

minesmoria

leweee

Russ .. I don't think he has a sense of humour ....from the looks of that last post ::)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

jokers

Quote from: leweee on February 04, 2005, 08:30:52 PM
Russ .. I don't think he has a sense of humour ....from the looks of that last post ::)

Jeeese, I guess you`re right leweee!

I didn`t mean any harm in that minesmoria, just making light of human imperfection! Stick around and watch me, you`ll feel better in the long run. :D :D

Russ

ontario026

Minesmoria,  Typically the full skip chain will work better in bigger wood where chip clearing ability is very important, but it cuts a little rougher in smaller wood.

Matthew

tony_marks

just read ole russes post an cut up with him.. you will lean much..
  basically a good man.. mo
  sometimes we just agree to disagree. an why wouldnt we :)

Frickman

I too run a full skip chain. When I bought a new MS460 a year ago the dealer had already installed a full complement chain. He knows I like the full skip and offered to change it but I said what the heck, I'll try it. I couldn't wait to wear that chain out. In the big hardwoods I cut a full skip doesn't really cut faster, but cuts alot smoother than full complement.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

rebocardo

It is much faster and easier to file and sharpen a 28" full skip then full comp, that is for sure. I cut a lot of 20-36" oak and when you have the full bar (28") buried, full skip makes a big difference in speed and not bogging down.

sawguy21

Full skip seems to work better with the longer bars in big timber. The kerf does not plug up with chips. It sure vibrates on a short bar.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!