iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lightning struck Tree's

Started by Randy, February 03, 2005, 03:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy

I have been given a few pines that lightning has hit. When would you not consider cutting a pine that has been struck by lightning? If it is dead but has all of it's limbs still on it---Would it be ok to saw? If about all the limbs have fell off---probably to late? I would like to hear from you all about the strength of this wood also. Ok, give me your advice!!! And I already know I better wear a Hard-hat and have a look-out when "felling" these tree's. As Always---Thanks------ Randy

Tom

If they were just lightning killed, then they are probably OK.  Sometimes a bolt will explode a tree, sending pieces in every direction.  What is left may be shattered and not make good lumber.

Usually the tree has usable lumber in it and I wouldn't hesitate in sawing it.

When you mention, still having limbs, I wonder how long they have been dead.  The big problem will be the deterioration of the sapwood, bugs and rot.  I usually judge their worth by how dead the needles appear.  Even then they may be riddled with bugs.

The Heartwood will usually still provide good wood if the quantity is available.  Many pines today don't possess a lot of heartwood.

If the trees are as bad off as you make it sound, then please be careful.  They can not only drop branches but break and send the top of the tree coming down in several pieces too. :)

Randy

Thanks Tom. Sounds as though I might better pass these up. The two that have been dead the shortest amount of time were hit several months ago, all the needles have fell off. The others are older than that. I would be afraid that I might get a infestation in my other board piles if these have are infested with bugs, but I guess I could just cut these two and stack the wood away from the other---not sure if it would make a difference.  Thanks Randy

DeepWoods

I had two white pines that were hit by lightning last spring.  I didn't get around to cutting them down till last fall.  I was able to get quite a bit of usable lumber out of them, but some had been stained blue.  When they were cut down, the tops were brown.  I figured I would at least get fire wood, but ended with some nice boards.  I would do it again with the results I had.
Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

chet

I have gotten a lot of very good wood from dead and or lightning struck White Pine. Blue stain pine makes a very good looking paneling also. I have customers that will dig through piles looking for it, even though Denim Pine costs more.   ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

music_boy

Make boards!! Above all,,, be safe.
     I cut some pine logs awhile back that had been dead about a year. Bark could be kicked off with your foot.;D I got some good lumber including the outside boards with those bark beetle holes in them.   I found it quite attractive. A buddy of mine at work saw the lumber and wanted some to build a diningroom table for his wife for Christmas. Turned out really neat and his wife loved it. Very "primative looking. Ya just don't know till ya cut'er up.
My experience
Rick
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

DanG

My 2cw:  If you can get it down safely, saw it up. Ya never know what's inside. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

oldsaw

I get an even bigger kick out of opening a tree than exhanging gifts.  What you find in the log is often a surprise.

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Minnesota_boy

Quote from: oldsaw on February 04, 2005, 09:40:14 AM
I get an even bigger kick out of opening a tree than exhanging gifts.  What you find in the log is often a surprise.

You mean something like the litter of kittens I found in the middle of a white pine log.  Never touched a one!  :o :o ::)
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Kirk_Allen

Wood is a lot like a box of chocolate. You never know what your going to get ;D

leweee

Here's  a Norway Spruce that was hit by lightning last July. Was making nioses in the wind so I gave it a dirt nap. Lots of shake in this baby ::) Not much lumber in this one. Last picture of facture at 35' when it landed.

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Thank You Sponsors!