iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which to buy-Stihl

Started by ellmoe, February 03, 2005, 06:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ellmoe

Hi Guys!
  I am looking at buying a new saw. Besides cutting logs on the yard (usually 12-16' dbh), I also want to be able to split large logs, usually oak. On the yard an 028 or an 034 has worked fine. To split logs I need to add additional bar length and hp. I can buy a new 039 locally, for $450 with a 24" bar. This was what I was planning on purchasing. However, the shop owner said that in a couple of weeks he would be "demo'ing" a 046 (?), with a 28 " bar. He said this was normally $750 new, but would sell it for $600 after he was finished. My question, is the additional bar length and hp worth the money? I do have a thought that the 24" bar may be too short to split a big log, but the size and weight of the 046 might be too much for yard work. Any opinions?
Thanks.
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Ianab

Simple answer.. yes, get the MS460. ( I assume thats the model you are talking about)

The 390 is a mid-range saw, better than the homeowner grade, but not a Pro saw. Perfectly good for part time sawing, firewood cutting etc, but I wouldn't want to be using one to rip very many logs in 1/2.

The 460 only weighs slightly more than the 390, but has 50% more power and should be more durable.  When you are doing those long ripping cuts, bigger saw is better for sure.

Ian

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ellmoe

Thanks Ian, with the "discounted " price I was already "leaning" that way.
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Bushwhacker

I agree with Inab.  I have a 460 and it's a great saw. Get some safety gear to go with it and Good Luck.
KLH

Dean Hylton

YES Most definately buy the 046/MS460.  You will only kicki your self in the butt if you don't. Not in the every day work mind you; but when you stat ripping oak I can gaurentee you will not be happy with the 039. I build quite a few saws for guys and you would not believe how many start stepping up from the 044. When you start ripping it takes an awful amount of power . The other thing is, that if you take care of this saw and keep it looking and running well and decide that you do not like it; you could always sell it and get a large portion of your money back. A well kept pro saw retains a lot of it's value.

Sawing Logz

I got a 660 Magnum form santa, but had looked alot at the 046 for the size of working it for hours bucking logz and other needs. You won't go wrong at that price and you will be able to try it at the demo to see it for your self. Great saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff
City Forrest Treecycler

ellmoe

Thanks alot for the responses. Now if I can just get the guy to show up at his shop, I'll make the deal with him! :)
Mark

Thank You Sponsors!