iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Failed Mailbox Assasination

Started by Tom, February 02, 2005, 03:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

As I left to go to work this morning I noticed that someone had probably attempted to run over my mailbox last night.  It is a brand new one and sticks out like a sore thumb on the street now.   The pulled onto the shoulder, got their tires in the ditch and were afraid of getting stuck.   I can hear them now, as they accelerated to get out and then saw the big hole and culvert. 

OH $&!# !, I'll bet they thought as they jerked the steering wheel and made if back on the road, sparing my mailbox.

Percy

Ha...Ya done set a trap for them Mailbox muderers..good thinkin :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

DanG

Glad that  attempt was thwarted, Tom. Your mailbox survived to fight again another day. :) :)  

As has been stated before, I have absolutely no use for anyone who would destroy someone's property just for the fun of it.  We don't have that problem around here, but if we did my mailbox post would be a 24"dbh power pole.  If the little snot ran over it, his car would still be wrapped around it, come morning. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Mongo

Whenever I'm able to move back to Maine, I plan on putting up a new mailbox, surrounded by bricks.  Heck, maybe with cinderblocks, and then bricks....

Actually, the box I want to get is one of those ones that's almost the size of the UPS drop boxes--it has a similiar type opening below the mail slot for UPS etc to also be able to use it to drop off packages--I order a lot of the net, and will do even more so when living in the sticks..err, I mean Maine.

Kirk_Allen

Be careful on the oversize mail box.  I dont recall where I read it but I understand the US Postmaster has laws governing mail box size near roadways. 

I seem to recall a lawyer suing a homeowner who put in a brick mail box. The lawyers client was drunk and hit the mail box but since it was not built to the postal standards the driver suffered severe injuries.  The homeowner lost the case. 

I am searching for where I read that and if/when I find it I will post it. 

Mongo

Not to completely hijack this thread, but,wow... stuff like that really p--ses me off.

I can almost understand what motivates people to file all these ridiculous law suits.  I'd like to think I'd never stoop that low, but, I can understand the desire to make a fast buck.

What I can't understand though is what in the hell the people serving on the juries of these trials are thinking.  ::)

Kirk_Allen

SwampDonkey

We used to have the mailbox beside the culvert next to the driveway. It was mounted on a steal post which was welded to a tire rim on the base of it. A metal plate was welded at the top with a lazy suson to swivel the mailbox. Well, my father's cousin would run into that mail box every time she put the car in reverse. Needed driving lessons I guess. We never ran into it ourselves. Then the postal sevice made everyone move their mail box on the right hand side of the road, no matter what side of the road you lived on. That winter the snow plow driver creamed about 12 mail boxes he wasn't used to being there. Of course the home owner always has to pay outta his/her own pocket to fix up what someone else destroyed, either deliberate or not. Also, during the snow season, if we get one of them contracted drivers on the road a mailbox or two still gets creamed. About 15 years ago we got notice from the psotal service on how the mailbox was suppose to placed and so on. Of course there were violators that didn't comply and alot of the complaints by the postal delivery people were about nothing really.  We used to be able to put the money for postage with the letter years ago and the post office would attach the stamp when they got it. Today they won't do it and ya have to sometimes spend $10 of gas to go get stamps. They'll want that last cent of postage and if I put extra postage on a letter they don't credit me. Times sure have changed, seems everyone goes out of their way to inconvenience everyone else.

Man, I was long winded there. :D :D :D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Brad_S.

I don't know which is worse, replacing a mailbox or filling and leveling a 100' tire rut. :(
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

pappy

That's why I got a PO Box(for mail).  The street address is for USPS delivery only ::) I like it when the "Big Brown Truck" backs up in my drive ;D

Five months a year around here (if it's snowin') you can almost bet the snowplow is gonna get it!! At least once during the winter.  DanG they (snowplow drivers)are driving in the worst of conditions  :o and if it's hit ...Fix it.. it ain't their fault  ::) The Man's got a job to do...and most times he can't see nuttin'

Tom,
That looks like it was a wet shoulder and bad tires... I'm glad that driver wasn't in these parts,  as I bet that wouldn't have been the only mail box he/she would of hit before they got out'ta da ditch  :D :D

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Engineer

Heard of a guy who was having vandalism problems, so he decided to get two mailboxes - a small one (standard size) and one of the really big ones.  He suspended the small one inside the big one, filled the 'between' space with concrete, and welded the big box onto a steel well casing that was buried six feet in the ground.

Sure'nuff, some teenagers came along in a pickup truck, one moron in the back of the truck with an aluminum softball bat.  Nailed the box, the retard fell out of the truck suffering severe road rash and two broken wrists.  No damage to the box.  Nobody ever said a word about the box, apparently, but it sure stopped the vandalism.

I have seen a couple of them mounted to a section of old railroad track.  I wouldn't wanna hit one of them with any vehicle.

pappy

Don't know about y'all but if you "plant" an immovable object within the 66 foot  right of way (mailbox full of lead or what ever) and a snowplow hits it or even some kid doing something stupid at the moment... and bust sumtin you be in BIG trouble :o ... round here anyways
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

DanG

Yeah, yeah, I know about the liability issues, and probably wouldn't really do it that way.  But, at the same time, it's fun to think about another slime-ball vandal taking himself out of the gene pool. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

pappy

how about puttin some super sticky stuff on the mail box and when the empty head hits it with a bat... outta the back of the pickup he comes

heeheehee  :D

Furby

There was a guy trying to patent that idea, I guess he came up with something that would hold a baseball bat, but not collect dust. Umhmmmm......... ::)

Corley5

Our road commission just came out with new mailbox regs.  Posts must be of wood and no bigger than 4"X4" unless you have one of the fancy plastic store bought kind that are on their own post.  This is in response to a guy who put a in 5" piece of well casing with concrete to stop the snow plow from taking out his box.  The others were all too close to the road and so was his new one.  When the truck it the new improved post it ruined the plow and frame and the driver had to be treated for injuries to his shoulder from the seat belt.  The Road Comm promptly went out with the sheriff's dept in tow and pulled the post with the Cat loader.  The man was ticketed for creating a hazardous condition and now we've got official mailbox specs for Cheboygan Co. ::) 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

chet

My mailbox used to get waisted 3 or 4 times a winter.   :'(  The guy dat always claimed he never hit it,  retired 4 years ago. Coincidentally our last mailbox has been up 4 winters now and still goin' strong.  :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

DanG

I know this must come as a shock to some of you, but we don't plow snow down here. We plow dirt, then plant something in it.  When you guys plow your snow, what do you do then?  Do you have crops that grow in it?   :P ??? ::)

;D

isawlogs

No Dan we are more on to the conservation of things ... we make dens outa them .....   for the snow snakes ....
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

edsaws

Quote from: Chet on February 02, 2005, 11:38:13 PM
My mailbox used to get waisted 3 or 4 times a winter.   :'(  The guy dat always claimed he never hit it,  retired 4 years ago. Coincidentally our last mailbox has been up 4 winters now and still goin' strong.  :)
Mine got whacked a couple of years back by the elusive snowplowman and it twisted and splintered the post but it didn't break ;). Well never did fix it. Thought about doing it before the freeze. NOT. Its still their. Maybe this spring when things thaw  ;D

Cedarman

The upside for us is that we are in the mailbox post making businesss.  Love snowplows. :D :D :D
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Jeff

a year ago this past fall Tammy got a wrought iron mail box post. Last winter the snow plow blew the mail box right off the post, breaking off the top mount on the post.  I bungie corded the mailbox to the plastic buyers guide box to get it though last winter cause the ground was froze. Its still bungie corded to the plastic buyers guide box as of this winter. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ed

A former boss of mine had a big problem with his getting swatted, I think it was a game of sorts. He'd put up a new one & the kids would take it out.
Since the post had to break away if hit, he took 2 pieces of 2" pipe & welded a huge spring in between them (like a snowplow trip spring). He then took & welded 3/4 "spikes" on it thet were about 6" long. Set it in concrete ( with the spring down by the ground) & put a shiny new mailbox (target) on it.
The vandals only run it over once.  :D I would have liked to see the look on their faces when that thing sprung back & tore the living heck out of the bottom side of their vehicle.

Faron

I mounted my mailbox on a steel post welded to a big truck rim.  If someone runs over it I will know about it, because it will just turn over and jack up the car.   ;D That sort of gets even with the vandals, but doesn't open me up to liability issues.  My elderly nieghbor gave me the idea many years ago.  I read about one fellow who had his smashed with a club or batseveral times.  He attaches sealed tubes of skunk scent like deerhunters use to the outside of his box.  The vandals get a nasty surprise when the handle the bat or bring it back inside the car. :D :D
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Emrldashbr

I like that idea.  A friend of mine has his on a 4" diameter steel pipe filled with concrete.  He had a problem with new drivers in the winter sliding off the road and taking it out. (he lives on the same road as the high school)  Now he just has to put on a new coat of paint every so often. ;D
New exotic pest to watch for Phytopthora Ramorum.

Thank You Sponsors!