iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trying to find "Super Square"

Started by Engineer, January 30, 2005, 06:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

OK.  Here goes.  I'm posting this on a number of sites and forums in the hope that someone can help.

As a few of you know, I've been in a months-long process leading up to the construction of a new timber-framed house and subsequent shop building.  One of the framers who will be helping me with layout and joinery showed up at the site yesterday as we were finishing up the (conventionally framed) first floor deck.  In discussing tools, he pulled out an aluminum rafter/framing square which was unique in that it had a 12" long short leg, an 18" long, long leg, a slot running the length of the long leg, and a 45-degree bevel on the end of the short leg.  It was marked "Super Square", and had other info including a "No. 44" and "Orem Industries" or Orem-something, as the manufacturer. 

I have two other guys besides myself who each want at least one of these and preferably more.  Has anybody heard of Orem, and are they still making these, and if so, how does one go about buying a half-dozen?  If not, does anyone have one they'd like to sell?

ARKANSAWYER

A speed square like this or a framing square?
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

DonE911

There is a pic of the square in one of sobon's books... not the one with the garden shed in it... maybe the book centered around the hall and parlor house. 

I'll dig the book up and see is there is a ref. for a supplier.

sprucebunny

I get them at Home Despot. Them and thier smaller cousins make wonderful (and disposable !) guides for all sorts of things.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Engineer

Sprucebunny,  not the one I'm thinkin' of - you're talking about a regular old Speed square, which are indeed disposable - I had guys using them for ice scrapers last week.

donE - Sobon has a picture of a similar square in the book with the shed in it, nothing in his other book that I have.  I can't find reference to them anywhere. 

I don't really NEED one, just be a nice thing to have.  Not only for the framing, but for future projects and general shop work.    It's definietly NOT one of those common aluminum speed-square critters you can buy anywhere.

Jim Haslip

if you find them, I would like to know about them also...
Saw one at a tf guild event and they certainly have their place.
An Internet search using "Orem" gets you more information than you need about Orem, Utah if I remember correctly...

Rod

Those speed squares are kind of handy but they seem to come up missing and all I'll have is my framing square left... I like my pair of angle buttons that fit on the framng square. These are little  clamps that grip the outside edges of your square, to aid in building rafters, stair stringers.Another thing is it has  rafter table etched on its side.Over time, the numbers etched into the surface of a steel square get harder and harder to see

WH_Conley

Might try a pipefitting supply house, I have seem pipefitters use a square that resembles what is being described. Never looked at one real close but I do know they had the 45 on the short leg, never did know the purpose.
Bill

Captain

I found this at a local tool supplier hanging on the wall the other day.  I was standing in an "abandoned" showroom amongst tools that do not see the light of day much any more.  Bought it for $10.  They said they have more....

I immediately thought of Jon and this thread when I saw it.  Is this close, Jon??  I know it is not the right manufacturer, and sounds smaller than the one you are looking for.

Captain

Engineer

Definitely.... not it.   :(

What I'm looking for, looks like a standard framing square, from a distance.  However, the short leg is "cut off" at a 45, and the distance from the inside corner to the oblique angle of the 45 is 12".  The long leg has a slot, about 1/2" wide and 12" long, running down the middle.  It's made of aluminum, and is stamped "Super Square" and Orem Research on it.

Ernie

Sprucebunny

"Home Despot" :D :D :D :D :D :D  now that is funny and probably appropriate.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Captain

Aww, can't blame a guy for trying  ::)

I thought it would be helpful in laying out rafters, one of my least favorite exercises.

Captain

Jim Haslip

Okay, I now remember where and when I found one of these Orem Super Squares... when the Timber Framers Guild was in Golden building a Bridge, a Framer from Calgary, Alberta had one. That was when I first became aware of them. And he doesn't remember where he got his. His name is Colin Stotts. Probably can be reached through the tfguild website.?...

Engineer

Found some.   ;D

Ain't divulging the source until I gets what I needs, then they're fair game.

Jon

ARKANSAWYER

Get it and post a picture we have gots to know!
ARKANSAWYER

Engineer

Aw, heck, my guys don't want one now, and they are too danG expensive.  I may still buy one because I know it will be a highly collectible antique someday.   ;D

http://blackscreektimberframes.com/tools.shtml

Bryanew

I hope that Black Creek Timber isn't the only place to get one of these square. I tried purchasing one from them late November and haven't seen the square or my $73 dollars since. Mr. Thomas Melton  of Black Creek Timbers has told me he doesn't have any squares on hand, and guess what "The Checks in the Mail" repeatedly.  I figure if I can't get either the square or a refund, I'll give at least $73.00 worth of advertising for these people who lack enough character and responsibility to run a business >:( >:(

isassi

Ok...that settles that. When I saw Engineer's post on a new square, I started looking and I would have bought one....that is pricey, really high considering. I would use pay pal to buy one...least you have a little protection....albiet, not much ;)

TexasTimbers

I would proceed with caution with Blacks Creek Timbers. I like to never had got my refund last year after I realized I was never going  to get the square.
Let us know if you find a reliable source. I still want one.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

isassi

I'm with Kev, I want one, but not from them.

scsmith42

If it's what I think that you're describing, these squares are made for laying out patterns in tile floors.  I have two of them, the larger of the two is about five feet long along one side.  They fold up so that all three sides are on top of one another.

I bought mine at the Amazon.com Tool Crib
(click here for link)
It's described as follows:

CH Hanson 345EK A-Square 3' x 4' x 5' Folding Layout Triangle.  $49.99

Good luck.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

TexasTimbers

Nope Scott that's not it. Nice tool but not it.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Bryanew

Here is the information about the Orem Super Square, for the pic click on the View PDF Images. Still haven't found a distributor.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4420891.html

Thank You Sponsors!