iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wood chippers

Started by palmerstreeservice, January 30, 2005, 05:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

palmerstreeservice

I am in the market for a wood chiper and am looking for feed back on different brands and sizes.  I would like to find something big enough that brush at its most twisted point will go through it.  We save the bigger stuff for either firewood or to sell to be milled so it doesn't have to be huge.  I recently used a 6" opening and found that "Y"s get hung up and wont feed.  I also want it to trailer well.

Thanks

Kyle Palmer

inspectorwoody

WoW! Two post from ya...Your catching on!

I would think the "Y"s would feed fine if your feeding them in butt end first...bout I don't know...I could see where you might have some issues with a 6" throat.

Gadget

PS Does the wife know about this?  :D Ya know....I did tell ya to bid once more on the bobcat....Shhhh.... ;D

palmerstreeservice

Even feeding them butt end first can cause problems.  Sometimes the cut is at the y and there is very little butt end to start.  I am guessing that the need will lead me to get a 10" or bigger.

KP

Tom

Lots of small tree services around here used a 9" throat chipper.  It's cheaper to take the time to trim the wood to fit than buy and maintain a larger chipper.

I don't know why, but, the tree services now are going with 12" and 16" throats.   The money must be good. :D

palmerstreeservice

In my opinion when you are spending the time cutting the little limbs to fit you run the risk of cutting into the ground or your leg or something you don't want to be cutting into.  We have found in our limited use of chippers that taking a whole section and running it through all at once is fast where as you may have made upwords of 10 cuts plus you then have to load ten pieces.  I don't however know if it is cost efficient just faster.

Kyle Palmer

Ed_K

If you get one with hydro feed, you shouldn't have any problems with a 6" chipper. If theres a Y back it out some and added another branch on top and feed it back in. I do this with my 3pt chipper without power feed. On my chipper you need to be wearing old gloves cause pushing in brush it steal a glove now and then  :D.
Ed K

Furby

The tree service that cleared the drainage here last fall had a bigger one.
Double axel, grapple arm on the rear to feed with. Don't know the throat size, but they told me it was $125k machine.

Engineer

I've borrowed a 9" "Eeger Beever" chipper, I think it's an old Morbark, that would eat anything I put into it.  Any chipper will hang up on a 'Y' if it doesn't have the power to compress the Y through the feed chute.    The big twin axle with the grapple was probably a Vermeer or Morbark,  those monsters have been used on site clearings around my area before and will take an entire tree up to 15" diameter.

Stick with a brand that you can get service locally on.  For a commercial tree service, you shoudl be looking at Valby, Morbark, Vermeer, Bandit.   Find a local dealer.   Here's a site you can get some approximate pricing on:  http://www.envirochipper.com/

Dangerous_Dan

Look for a Brush Bandit 250. Used you can get one for $5000 and up.  Pretty tuff machine if you maintain it right. Easy to find parts for it. Make sure you get the heavy duty hydraulic feed motors and the hydraulic cylinder on the top feed  wheel.  They offer a winch but I don't use it often.  When I have a "Y" going into the chipper I make a small cut halfway through on one side to help it collapse as the feed wheels pull it in. I've also used a Brush Bandit 200, pretty good too. Just can't handle the bigger stuff like the 250.
First you make it work, then you trick it out!

MrMoo

I agree with Engineer if the chipper doesn't have the power to compress the "Y" it won't go thru. I have a 6" chipper with a power feed roller & occasionally I have to take a "Y" and tick one side of it with the chainsaw so it will go thru.

MSU_Keith

Saw a demo of a Dynamic 'Conehead' chipper this weekend, not sure which model but it was very impressive.   The model we saw looked like it could take any Y you wanted to stuff in - biggest one lists an opening of 18" x 28".  Link:

http://www.dynamicmfgcorp.com/conehead360.htm

Thank You Sponsors!