iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advice on winch purchase

Started by music_boy, January 30, 2005, 01:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

music_boy

The last series of posts on log haulin has really helped me out. ;D I wrestled a 16 ft x 17" persimmon and a 16 ft x 22" cherry on Friday. Had to cut the cherry in half so the tractor I was using could pick an end up and then shove it on the trailer. >:( Learned quite few lessons during that 4 hour operation. (don't ask)
    My new plan is to run cants perpendicular to my trailer fenders and level.Rig ramps so I can winch logs from either side. My thinking is to mount the winch in the front of the  trailer . Rig a mount on each side so I can attach a snatchblock. Run the cable from the winch, to opposite side snatchblock. Hook the cable to a strap that will run under and over the log and ends attached to trailer.
    My question is, what brand has been good for heavy uses, and amount of pulling force on the line. I don't want  too small a winch nor pay alot for power I won't need or use.
Appreciate any advice and thoughts.
Rick
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

Furby

I can't comment on the winch, but I have a couple of other tips for ya.
Biggest one is: bolt or clamp the cants to the trailer GOOD!
Also drill a hole on the top side near each end of the cant to insert a piece of pipe or something to keep the log from rolling off the other side. I just use a couple of scrap pieces of 3/4" gal. pipe. DO NOT use these to keep the load on while hauling down the road, but make sure they are there when you take your straps off.
Don't roll the logs off onto the ramps, you WILL bust them! Just get a little momentum and give them a good push, in most cases they will roll a bit away from the trailer.
I found that the smaller stuff that is straight, can be rolled up by hand using a strap and standing on the side away from the ramps.
It's a pain to disconect and rehook, but your truck will pull the logs up much faster then the winch, if you have the room.

stumpy

I use a 16' flatbed trailer to haul logs. I have a reciever welded to the front so I can use my Warn winch(I also have a reciever on the front of my F250 Ford) I have a Warn 9500# winch. While I believe it's the best electric winch, It's still not built(in my opinion) for continuous rough duty. Don't get me wrong, It works great and is well built, but you need to use good safe practices, cause it is not as heavy duty as a Hydraulic recovery winch like you find on wreckers or tractors.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

MemphisLogger

I've used the snot out of a Warn 8000ti winch that I originally purchased for self recovery.

I undoubtedly abused it and overran it's duty cycle loading multiple logs and after 2 years the commutator was fried.

But, I found an outfit that builds a line of replacement winch motors that fit Warn, Superwinch, Milemarker, etc. that have a higher output and longer duty cycle for less than half the price of the Warn replacement. http://www.wms1.com/index.html

My personal feelings are to lay out the cash on the front end for a winch from a reputable manufacturer, ie. Warn, Ramsey, Superwinch, MileMarker, so you get properly machined housings, planetary gears and bearings. Then, if you fry the motor, you can step up to a better one.

I would avoid putting any money into Harbor Freight, etc.
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

DanG

One simple answer on winch selection; MileMarker hydraulic winch!  I hate to sound like a cheerleader for them, but I couldn't be more pleased than I am with mine. I haven't found anything that it won't move.  It ain't real fast in low gear, but as long as you hold that button down, SOMETHING is going to give.  I have used mine for hours at a time, and the only problem I've had is the truck overheating from sitting there idling all that time. Keeping the hood open helps.

I agree with the other answers. Spend the money and get a good winch if you're going that way.  If you're not going to load enough to justify the expense, use the truck to parbuckle the logs onto the trailer. Just remember to go very slow.  Take along some blocking to stabilize the trailer.  A Logrite cant hook or two will make the process a lot easier, too.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

music_boy

I appreciate all the advice. I've seen the Mile marker winches but am not familiar with them. DanG, you steered me right on the metal detector, awesome device. ;D Mile marker it is. I'm thinkin with a snatchblock, 2 tons electric What say ye all ::)
Thanks
Rick
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

DanG

m_boy, I don't think MM makes an electric winch. They are hydraulic, and work off the power steering pump on your truck. The one I have is the 10,500lb model. I got it through Harbor Freight for $900, but I'm not sure they still carry them.   www.milemarker.com   should get you some info. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Dan_Shade

I just installed a milemarker 10,500 hydraulic if you'd like to check it out sometime.

I set it all up on a reciever up front with disconnects, I need to finalize a few brackets and clamps yet, but it's usable, and you can see how it looks.

Milemarker makes electrics these days as well as the hydraulics.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

DanG

Yep, I checked out the site, and they do sell electrics. However, if you look at the warranties, both winches are warranted for 2 years. The hydraulic motor is warranted for 5 years with no commercial restriction. The electric motor is warranted for 1 year, with the disclaimer that it is only for "recreational recovery" and is not warranted at all for commercial use.  Tell's me a lot about the diff between elec and hyd.

sawhead

This little Texas co. makes great winches . Reasonable prices and real good quality. http://www.piercewrecker.com/
The journey of a thousand miles begins
with a broken fan belt and a leaky tire

Thank You Sponsors!