iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

NEW from Wood-Mizer in 2005!

Started by Bibbyman, January 30, 2005, 10:05:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

One thing I got out of the Farm show in St. Joseph was conformation that some of the products Wood-Mizer has been working on will be available.

New for Manual LT30/40 owners will be a bolt-on log loading kit.  It'll come with pump and everything needed to attach to you manual LT30/40.

Also available will be the board dragback system retrofit kit.  It'll come with the dragback arm and table – just like the Supers.

A new CAT 34hp diesel engine will be available on the LT30/40 line.

OTHER BIG NEWS!!![/b]

The new 2005 model LT40HD Super mills will have FOUR POWED BACK SUPPORTS as standard equipment!  Four powered back supports will available as an option on the standard HD mills.  And there will be a retrofit kit available.  I've not seen this in writing so...

Also!!!!   Wood-Mizer will be marketing the LogRite cant hooks.  I'm not sure what models and lengths but I've suggested the 30" Sawmill special,  the 48" and the 60".  They WILL be the right color – yelloweshred! ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

WH_Conley

I went to their website and could not find anything, reckon they will talk to ya on the phone about the drag back yet or have to wait?
Bill

Bibbyman

Yea,  I'd call them.  Maybe a while before the get their web site updated. 

Also,  who knows if they'll even put it out on their website?  I know they have a lot of update kits,  motor change out kits, etc. and other small items they don't put out there our anywhere else.  You about have to know they have it.

If I get a chance,  I'll try to get more info from Indy - part numbers, etc.
Sawing since '94

ronwood

Bibbyman,

I am wondering if the drive motors on the standard LT30HG & LT40HG  will be strong enough.  Any word on that?

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Bibbyman

I haven't but maybe Sparks will get online Monday and fill us all in.
Sawing since '94

Kirk_Allen

Ronwood,
I purchased a Board Return for my LT40HD and they told me the drive motor was not big enough for the board return and that I may burn up my motor. 

I told them that most of what I wanted to use the board return for was small 8-9 foot boards.  They suggested not using it on anything longer than 8 feet.

I wonder what it would take to upgrade the motor? 

I have to stop thinking about upgradind parts and focus on upgrading to a Super ;D

WH_Conley

Kirk, I have the same problem.

Thought # 1, already have this mill and it's paid for, upgrades cheaper.

Thought # 2, go ahead and upgrade mill and get all the bells and whistles, also would with a new payment book as standard  equiptment. ??? ??? ???
Bill

Brucer

As it happens, I was just discussing prices for an LT40 with our local WoodMizer rep on Friday. He
mentioned that there was a new hydraulic loader option available. He didn't have exact pricing,
but he said it would be approximately $2500 Cdn (about $2000 US) if it was ordered with the mill.
He didn't mention that it was a bolt-on option, but then he was in salesman mode -- trying to
sell me all the options that I could probably use but can't afford. ;)
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

ARKANSAWYER

I talked with Sparks this week about upgrading Wanda's engine to the 28 hp FI Kohler.  The 25 is doing fine but she has some hours and over a million bdft on her.  For about $2,100 Wanda will be singing like a new one.  Since I will be upgrading her I will replace everything and get her set up to fly full speed again.  Good to know that they are rebuildable and last a long time.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Kirk_Allen

After this week of cutting I wish I had the FI Kohler.  The new model has a different material on the fuel intake than the 25hp model. I think the 25hp is aluminum.  When its below freezing,condensation forms at idle and it chugalugs real bad and stalls quite a bit.  I upped the idle a little and it helped a litttle but Im looking for an excuse to have more HP ;D

Do you think 3 hp is going to be noticable compared to the 25?

ARKANSAWYER

Engineer,
 You can take an engine off the shelf and swap out pretty easy.  You just have to make sure the bolt pattern on the bottom is about the same and the shaft dia is the same.
 The thing I needed to know about the FI is it wired different which it is and the fuel tank is different and has to be changed.
 I am thinking of changing the engine any way and would have replaced with another 25 if the swap had been a pain or real expensive.  Since I saw on the road alot and far from home or even a town I was just wanting a more dependable engine counting my hours.  I think the 3 hp will be of some help but the 28 has a better air filter and exhaust system.

Kirk,
 You will find your mill will run better if you take a paper sack and block the bottom 2/3 of the air shrould in the front off.  It will cause the engine to run warmer and stop most of your problems.  I find Wanda has more trouble when it is about 30 degrees and the humidity is high like Friday when it was sleeting and raining.
ARKANSAWYER

Because this thread took such a turn, I created another called
Rough Engine (carb icing)
and moved the relative posts to it.  It is a good diagnostic thread.
Tom
ARKANSAWYER

Bibbyman

Sounds to me like it's time to jack it up and drop the hitch onto the ball of someone else's truck and then put a whole new mill in it's place.

The LT40SHD42 Will used in downtown St. Joe started at 32 degrees on the first crank and ran smooth every demo he did.
Sawing since '94

footer

Bibbyman,
After the ag show, Did you eat at the wiskey creek in St.Jo. ?

Kirk_Allen

Thanks Dave.  I will have to give that a try.  Friday and Saturday here was brutal.  Rain, Ice, Snow and of course with a good dose of wind to keep you chilled to the bone. 

I chugaluged through the day but will definatly try your suggestion.

Thanks

Bibbyman

Quote from: footer on January 30, 2005, 10:23:04 PM
Bibbyman,
After the ag show, Did you eat at the wiskey creek in St.Jo. ?

Nope.  Friday dinner we ate at Papa Joe's,  Friday supper we ate at the Holiday Inn,  and Saturday breakfast we ate again at Papa Joe's.
Sawing since '94

whitepe

I am gonna have to trade my LT15 and get a bigger Woodmizer with
a kitty engine.   It is probably sacrilegious for me to use a gasoline engine powered mill    ;D
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Bibbyman

Maybe they've got an upgrade kit to put the new 34CAT on an LT15??

Nahh,  I don't think so.. :D
Sawing since '94

Brucer

The local WM rep told me they're planning to phase out the 25 HP Kohler because of the carb icing.
The 28 HP fuel-injected motor doesn't have that problem. I've noticed in the past year the price
difference between the two is getting a lot smaller.

By simple math the 28 HP motor has 12% more power than the 25 HP. But when you figure that
you're losing at least 1 HP to charging the battery, and another 2-4 HP in drive loses, the real
number is closer to 15% more power at the blade.

Had some fun with the WM rep when I told him the new hydraulic loader option was a bolt-on.
I ended up having to describe it all to him. Then I asked him if he could price me a 30" LogRite cant
hook, and he said they didn't carry that brand. "Why not check with head office", I said.  :D
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

HORSELOGGER

I have an idiot Illinois hillbilly suggestion... ;D My boys got a bunch of them soft heat pack thingees for puttin in their boots and gloves when they were trappin this season. Couldnt you use them next to the carb? You just shake em up and they heat for 12 hours. Buy em at walmart. Maybe some duct tape  ???
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

ARKANSAWYER

Make your life easy and just block off the front of the engine when cold and it will warm up and stop the carb icing.  Do not use a plastic WalMart bag as it will get cold and your engine will eat it.  It is hard to remove all that plastic from your engine fins.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Buzz-sawyer

Horselogger
Illinois hicks have the best ideas :) :D :D :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

HORSELOGGER

Arky, did we answer the wrong question here, or did the icing thread come here or what the hey ??? ???
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

Bibbyman

We were talking about the new board dragback option for non-Super mills when someone brought up a question about the drive motor being heavy enough.

Arky "slipped on the ice" (or was it grits) and brought up the 28 fuel injetion vs. 25 carb and problems running when it was cold.   There went the post.  de-railed.
Sawing since '94

HORSELOGGER

Oh... I posted bout the hand warmers, then, when I want to the index, I saw the seperate thread about the carb icing, and had a mental moment ???Thought that was what I was posting to :) Hey that could be a new contest... Post to a thread randomly, and guess where its supposed to go :P

Bibbyman

Some update info on the board dragback retrofit kit for non-Super mills.

They recomend that they be used on 1" boards only and on mills with .6hp drive motors on the sawhead.  This would be about 96 model year and newer.
Sawing since '94

Kirk_Allen

Thats what they told me when I installe my board return.  They also suggested nothing longer than 8 feet.

Of course common sense will come into play.  I dont have any problem at all kicking back 16' WRC boards.  8' Hickory boards is another issue ;D

Minnesota_boy

Bibby,
I suppose that means that I cant use a dragback for the 30' 8X8's then, huh? :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Bibbyman

M_Boy,  If you're wanting to drag 30' 8x8s,  you need to Super Size it!  Or better yet step up to an LT70.
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

You'll need to keep in mind the limitations of the charging system and battery when thinking about upping the motor size.   You're likely to be burning out alternators and batteries pretty quick.

Also, the wiring, fuses, switches, etc. will need to be sized to take the added amps.
Sawing since '94

DR_Buck

Anyone heard what the cost of the 4 hydraulic adjustable backstops mod (Bibby Mod  :D) is going to be?   I want this mod!   However, after pulling the clutch lever out in the cold all last weekend,    :'(    I think the "auto-clutch" may be my next upgrade. ;D ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

pigman

Dr_ Buck, I swapped a seat for a auto- clutch two years ago. Now both arms are the same size. ;D

The diesel on my Mizer got real heavy after a long day. :(
Bob the lazy one
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

sparks

Sorry it took me so long to answer. Been dealing with kidney stones. Back to work today and doing better.
The mechanics of the mill will have to be tip top shape for the drag back. Cam follower bearings, chaing drive sprocket bearings etc. will need to be free of any binds. The motors will do just fine. Brushes may wear a little faster. Other than that load up the sawdust pile.   Thanks all.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Bibbyman

I wonder if Wood-Mizer would or could put together a catalog of sorts of all the upgrades, options and mods they have available for their mills.  

I know it'd be a lot of work if it were in detail as I know some upgrades and options won't be available on some models, some years, with some engines, or with or without other options, etc.  But at least an owner would have an idea there is an upgrade available and can check to see if it will apply to their specific mill.

Yea,  we had a 96 model Super with the 35 Wisconsin 4-cyl engine.  Because it had cast iron heads and block,  it was very heavy.  Mary had to hold the lever close to her chin with her elbow locked and kind of do a body drop to get it pulled.  Then she couldn't let it off easy – just kind of lift the lever and let it fall.   Still her right arm started looking like Popeye's.  Our new mill has Command Control that comes with AutoClutch.   It saves a lot of repetitive motion strain on elbows and shoulders.  It hasn't caused any problems but is a little more finicky to get the adjusted to keep the right main drive belt tension.   I think some of the adjusting difficulty is due to mill having the electric motor that does not idle.  It may not be nearly as fussy with an engine.

P.S.  Good to see you back Sparks - with or without stones. ;D
Sawing since '94

sparks

Thanks bibby. I think my stone quary is about gone. I'm glad though. I leave for a mission trip in Belize on the 17th. Didn't want to miss that over a few pepples in the stream.  :D
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Bibbyman

I've got serial #1 of the Wood-Mizer version of the 60 " LogRite Cant hook on order from Wood-Mizer.    ;)

60" LogRite cant hook demoed by JB of Wood-Mizer

30" Pro-Sawyer Mary Special being demoed by Dave Mann of Wood-Mizer
They expect to ship in about two weeks.

FYI  here are the part numbers and prices.

CH030---30" $85.95  (a.ka. Pro-Sawyer Mary special)
CH048---48" $89.95
CH060---60" $99.95 

They will be Yelloweshred with alluminum handles.

No word if they're going to stock the Arky Special.
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

When you get this done,  please consider documenting it,  with picture if possable, in the post "Useful Sawmill Mods". 

I bet about everyone could use MORE POWER!
Sawing since '94

sparks

Prices on the LogRite cant hooks are:
CH048   48"    $89.95
CH060   60"    $99.95
MS030   30"    $85.95
The 30" part number was changed since I gave it to Bibby.

sparks

Side support upgrade will be about $495.00 Must specify if you have an Autoclutch or not.
Mechanical board drag back             $350.00
Log loader upgrade                          $2050.00

Thanks

sparks

New info, here are the intrductory specials and the regular price after that.   Thanks

Hydraulic Loading Arms        Suggested Retail        Intro SALE PRICE
HLA (factory installed)              $1995                        $1795

HLA-A (field installed)              $2050.00                      $ 1850.00

Manual Board Return           Suggested Retail        Intro SALE PRICE
MBR-A (Factory installed)         $495                            $495

MBR-M      "         "                    $495                            $495

036667  (Field installed)          $495                            $495

4 Hyd Side Supports            Suggested Retail        Intro SALE PRICE
HSS (Factory installed)              $125                            $99

HSS-A (Field installed)                $350                          $295

ronwood

Sparks,

How long does the intro sale prices last?

Thanks
Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Kirk_Allen

Sparks, are the 4 hyd side supports the Dogs?  Is this something we can install or must it be installed by WM? Is that price of $99 for the full modification (4 supports) and how much is installation if we cant do it ourselves?

DR_Buck

Just got off the phone with WM.   Had to have Spark's pricing cleared up since I ordered and paid for my back supports yesterday. 8) 8)

The "factory installed" price is if you buy it as part of a new mill.  The field installed price is for your installation after parts are shipped to you.  The higher price for the back supports (DOGS) is because extra brackets and parts are required to make the change over.

I also believe that Sparks earlier posting about specifying if you have auto clutch or not is related to the board dragback and not the back support mod.   

Sparks, can you verify this?

WH_Conley

Does the board drad back for the LT 40 have a bigger motor or just use the same one?
Bill

Bibbyman

Quote from: Bibbyman on February 01, 2005, 07:48:04 AM
Some update info on the board dragback retrofit kit for non-Super mills.

They recomend that they be used on 1" boards only and on mills with .6hp drive motors on the sawhead.  This would be about 96 model year and newer.

Sawing since '94

sparks

sparks

My sentence was in the wrong spot. The mechanical board return option has to have the Autoclutch info.   Thanks

Gilman

Quote4 Hyd Side Supports            Suggested Retail        Intro SALE PRICE
HSS (Factory installed)              $125                            $99

Is this mod I'd use to link the two manual back supports to the existing hydraulic back supports?

Thanks,

David
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Bibbyman

Yes. 

The $125/$99 price is when you buy them with a new mill as an option.

The$350/$295 price is for the parts to upgrade an existing HD mill.  Comes with two new back supports and three sections of linkage, ends, etc.
Sawing since '94

MULE_MAN

BIB

Why do I need two new back supports for, I haven't finish sawing the other one's in half yet   ;D
I guess they have hole's already in them for the linkage and stuff HUH   ???
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

Bibbyman

Well,  when you get the kit,  you'll have two old manual back supports to fall back on or use to repare the sawed-off ones!  :D

Here is what the kit looks like.  Two new supports with levers to connect to the tie rod.  Two short tie rods and one long one and a bag of bolts. 

No cutting or welding is involved.  I think the only thing that has to be changed is that the brake wire has to be re-routed.  As our mill does not have breaks,  that was not a problem. ;D
Sawing since '94

DR_Buck

Bibby,

I have the rollers on top of my 2 hydraulic back stops.  Would you suggest adding them to the 2 new hydraulic stops after I install the kit?   I was thinking about this when I ordered the kit, but I decided to wait and see how it works.

Although not new, I ordered the auto-clutch mod.  Man, my right arm can't wait! 8)

Bibbyman

We're getting along just fine without the rollers on the middle two. 

I think the added middle two back supports actually make turning more positive than with just the two outside ones with rollers.  Then,  two MORE rollers couldn't hurt!
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

Last week Sparks send me a PDF with information on the new options.  I've been having a fit trying to get them in a form to post here.  I hope you can read this...

Sawing since '94

OneWithWood

Thanks for the timely post Bibby.  I will be at WM Indy the first week of March for the Lumber Grading Short Course.  While I am there I intend to pick up an auto clutch and the powered back stay kit.  As the old body ages I become increasingly fonder of the power options :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

pigman

Thanks for the info Bibbyman.  Maybe its my eyes or maybe not enough bytes in the file, but I can't read the small print. The writting is large enough, just blurry. :(
Bob the blind man

Bibbyman

Did you notice that (with Jeff's help) my post above now has the PDF document atteched?

It's at the bottom of the post with a paper clip simbol to the left of the document name.
Sawing since '94

pigman

Thanks Jeff and Bibbyman, I can read it now. 8)  I am not blind afer all. ;D
I am interested in the additional back supports for my WM. People bring me a lot of short logs and I am tired of using the manual back supports.
Bob the lazy sawyer

DR_Buck

Onewithwood,

I'm in agreement with your choices for mods.  My autoclutch kit arrived yesterday.  I plan on installing it this Saturday.   I'm not sure when the back stop mod will arrive, but its been ordered so when WM starts shipping I guess I'll get it.

Might have to think about the board return mod as well.  Could save some time and effort when sawing alone.

OneWithWood

Dr_Buck,

Good minds think alike :)

I considered the drag back but my understanding is you should have a super mill with the uprated electric motors to make it worth while.  My mill is not a super.  Kinda wish now I had sprung the extra dinero for one. 
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Kirk_Allen

I have the board return on my LT40 and have had no problems with the motor size that came with my mill.  The key is to not try to pull back BIG boards.  Its fine for 4/4 8-9 footers.

I noticed in the pic for the board return there is a angled deck with a leg on it.  Looks like a stainless steel cover.  Is that part of the "new" board return or is that a seperat option.

I assume it acts as a platform to catch the returned boards instead of having them hit the top of the hydraulic box. 

Anyone have any info on this?

Bibbyman

I think you'd want the slide ranp and the way it's pictured,  the kit comes with it.  But I'd make sure before ordered it. 

Maybe Sparks could tell us.  But I think he's off with the missionaries some place where it's warm!
Sawing since '94

HORSELOGGER

Just curious,... what would be the advantage to using the drag back on the lt 40 that doesnt have the command center? If you are walking with the saw head anyway, wouldnt it be just as easy to remove the sawn board while you are standing there? I could see, if you were also using a seperate edger, and a helper , where stacking the lumber on a table while the helper was distracted, the sawyer could keep sawing and stockpile boards for the edger, but how does a drag back help while sawing alone ???

Bibbyman

Mary uses the dragback when sawing alone on smaller logs to knock off the flitches and stock pile them to be edged.  Then she'll saw up the rest of the log and shuts down the mill.  Then edge the flitchs and offbear the lumber on the mill.
Sawing since '94

pigman

Horselogger,

I  run a WM super walker with the dragback. 8) It is a lot easier to pick up boards and slabs at the front of the mill than to "unstick" a board off the top of the cant. When sawing at customers with help I find leaving the board at the front gives them a little extra time to remove it while I am sawing the next board. When sawing at home I have a homebuilt conveyor that I push the boards onto that rough stacks them. After 4 to 5 hundred feet I stack the boards. When customers try to "help " and pull the board off the cant it always slows the sawing, because the return on the super is faster than most people can remove the board. :o If you can't understand what  I have written, don't worry I don't understand it either and I wrote it. ::)
Bob - the confused sawyer

dewwood

One major advantage to having the board return:  I can start the saw head throught the cant while I am taking care of the previous board.  I do have to catch up to the mill then but I did not stop the mill to remove the board.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

sparks

Bibby was right. It was 88 degree's during the day and 62 at night. Mission trip went well. Got the mill back up and going.
The part you're asking about is a return table to keep the board from hitting the hydraulic box.   Thanks

Thank You Sponsors!