iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

NEW from Wood-Mizer in 2005!

Started by Bibbyman, January 30, 2005, 10:05:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

One thing I got out of the Farm show in St. Joseph was conformation that some of the products Wood-Mizer has been working on will be available.

New for Manual LT30/40 owners will be a bolt-on log loading kit.  It'll come with pump and everything needed to attach to you manual LT30/40.

Also available will be the board dragback system retrofit kit.  It'll come with the dragback arm and table – just like the Supers.

A new CAT 34hp diesel engine will be available on the LT30/40 line.

OTHER BIG NEWS!!![/b]

The new 2005 model LT40HD Super mills will have FOUR POWED BACK SUPPORTS as standard equipment!  Four powered back supports will available as an option on the standard HD mills.  And there will be a retrofit kit available.  I've not seen this in writing so...

Also!!!!   Wood-Mizer will be marketing the LogRite cant hooks.  I'm not sure what models and lengths but I've suggested the 30" Sawmill special,  the 48" and the 60".  They WILL be the right color – yelloweshred! ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

WH_Conley

I went to their website and could not find anything, reckon they will talk to ya on the phone about the drag back yet or have to wait?
Bill

Bibbyman

Yea,  I'd call them.  Maybe a while before the get their web site updated. 

Also,  who knows if they'll even put it out on their website?  I know they have a lot of update kits,  motor change out kits, etc. and other small items they don't put out there our anywhere else.  You about have to know they have it.

If I get a chance,  I'll try to get more info from Indy - part numbers, etc.
Sawing since '94

ronwood

Bibbyman,

I am wondering if the drive motors on the standard LT30HG & LT40HG  will be strong enough.  Any word on that?

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Bibbyman

I haven't but maybe Sparks will get online Monday and fill us all in.
Sawing since '94

Kirk_Allen

Ronwood,
I purchased a Board Return for my LT40HD and they told me the drive motor was not big enough for the board return and that I may burn up my motor. 

I told them that most of what I wanted to use the board return for was small 8-9 foot boards.  They suggested not using it on anything longer than 8 feet.

I wonder what it would take to upgrade the motor? 

I have to stop thinking about upgradind parts and focus on upgrading to a Super ;D

WH_Conley

Kirk, I have the same problem.

Thought # 1, already have this mill and it's paid for, upgrades cheaper.

Thought # 2, go ahead and upgrade mill and get all the bells and whistles, also would with a new payment book as standard  equiptment. ??? ??? ???
Bill

Brucer

As it happens, I was just discussing prices for an LT40 with our local WoodMizer rep on Friday. He
mentioned that there was a new hydraulic loader option available. He didn't have exact pricing,
but he said it would be approximately $2500 Cdn (about $2000 US) if it was ordered with the mill.
He didn't mention that it was a bolt-on option, but then he was in salesman mode -- trying to
sell me all the options that I could probably use but can't afford. ;)
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

ARKANSAWYER

I talked with Sparks this week about upgrading Wanda's engine to the 28 hp FI Kohler.  The 25 is doing fine but she has some hours and over a million bdft on her.  For about $2,100 Wanda will be singing like a new one.  Since I will be upgrading her I will replace everything and get her set up to fly full speed again.  Good to know that they are rebuildable and last a long time.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Kirk_Allen

After this week of cutting I wish I had the FI Kohler.  The new model has a different material on the fuel intake than the 25hp model. I think the 25hp is aluminum.  When its below freezing,condensation forms at idle and it chugalugs real bad and stalls quite a bit.  I upped the idle a little and it helped a litttle but Im looking for an excuse to have more HP ;D

Do you think 3 hp is going to be noticable compared to the 25?

ARKANSAWYER

Engineer,
 You can take an engine off the shelf and swap out pretty easy.  You just have to make sure the bolt pattern on the bottom is about the same and the shaft dia is the same.
 The thing I needed to know about the FI is it wired different which it is and the fuel tank is different and has to be changed.
 I am thinking of changing the engine any way and would have replaced with another 25 if the swap had been a pain or real expensive.  Since I saw on the road alot and far from home or even a town I was just wanting a more dependable engine counting my hours.  I think the 3 hp will be of some help but the 28 has a better air filter and exhaust system.

Kirk,
 You will find your mill will run better if you take a paper sack and block the bottom 2/3 of the air shrould in the front off.  It will cause the engine to run warmer and stop most of your problems.  I find Wanda has more trouble when it is about 30 degrees and the humidity is high like Friday when it was sleeting and raining.
ARKANSAWYER

Because this thread took such a turn, I created another called
Rough Engine (carb icing)
and moved the relative posts to it.  It is a good diagnostic thread.
Tom
ARKANSAWYER

Bibbyman

Sounds to me like it's time to jack it up and drop the hitch onto the ball of someone else's truck and then put a whole new mill in it's place.

The LT40SHD42 Will used in downtown St. Joe started at 32 degrees on the first crank and ran smooth every demo he did.
Sawing since '94

footer

Bibbyman,
After the ag show, Did you eat at the wiskey creek in St.Jo. ?

Kirk_Allen

Thanks Dave.  I will have to give that a try.  Friday and Saturday here was brutal.  Rain, Ice, Snow and of course with a good dose of wind to keep you chilled to the bone. 

I chugaluged through the day but will definatly try your suggestion.

Thanks

Bibbyman

Quote from: footer on January 30, 2005, 10:23:04 PM
Bibbyman,
After the ag show, Did you eat at the wiskey creek in St.Jo. ?

Nope.  Friday dinner we ate at Papa Joe's,  Friday supper we ate at the Holiday Inn,  and Saturday breakfast we ate again at Papa Joe's.
Sawing since '94

whitepe

I am gonna have to trade my LT15 and get a bigger Woodmizer with
a kitty engine.   It is probably sacrilegious for me to use a gasoline engine powered mill    ;D
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Bibbyman

Maybe they've got an upgrade kit to put the new 34CAT on an LT15??

Nahh,  I don't think so.. :D
Sawing since '94

Brucer

The local WM rep told me they're planning to phase out the 25 HP Kohler because of the carb icing.
The 28 HP fuel-injected motor doesn't have that problem. I've noticed in the past year the price
difference between the two is getting a lot smaller.

By simple math the 28 HP motor has 12% more power than the 25 HP. But when you figure that
you're losing at least 1 HP to charging the battery, and another 2-4 HP in drive loses, the real
number is closer to 15% more power at the blade.

Had some fun with the WM rep when I told him the new hydraulic loader option was a bolt-on.
I ended up having to describe it all to him. Then I asked him if he could price me a 30" LogRite cant
hook, and he said they didn't carry that brand. "Why not check with head office", I said.  :D
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

HORSELOGGER

I have an idiot Illinois hillbilly suggestion... ;D My boys got a bunch of them soft heat pack thingees for puttin in their boots and gloves when they were trappin this season. Couldnt you use them next to the carb? You just shake em up and they heat for 12 hours. Buy em at walmart. Maybe some duct tape  ???
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

ARKANSAWYER

Make your life easy and just block off the front of the engine when cold and it will warm up and stop the carb icing.  Do not use a plastic WalMart bag as it will get cold and your engine will eat it.  It is hard to remove all that plastic from your engine fins.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Buzz-sawyer

Horselogger
Illinois hicks have the best ideas :) :D :D :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

HORSELOGGER

Arky, did we answer the wrong question here, or did the icing thread come here or what the hey ??? ???
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

Bibbyman

We were talking about the new board dragback option for non-Super mills when someone brought up a question about the drive motor being heavy enough.

Arky "slipped on the ice" (or was it grits) and brought up the 28 fuel injetion vs. 25 carb and problems running when it was cold.   There went the post.  de-railed.
Sawing since '94

HORSELOGGER

Oh... I posted bout the hand warmers, then, when I want to the index, I saw the seperate thread about the carb icing, and had a mental moment ???Thought that was what I was posting to :) Hey that could be a new contest... Post to a thread randomly, and guess where its supposed to go :P

Bibbyman

Some update info on the board dragback retrofit kit for non-Super mills.

They recomend that they be used on 1" boards only and on mills with .6hp drive motors on the sawhead.  This would be about 96 model year and newer.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!