iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tractor Tire

Started by Karl_N., February 28, 2005, 06:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl_N.

I pulled into my neighbors dooryard with my tractor, thinking I'd use his compressor to put a little air in my back tire, seemed a bit low especially with the winch and a hitch of sticks behind it. He was leery about it, saying a leak is no good ever, but especially in the middle of winter. He was mostly worried about the valve stem. So I became worried about it and decided I didn't want to break down in his yard either and left. Now these have the chloride in them and they are pretty old, a little rust around the stem maybe but otherwise seem to be in pretty good shape. Have I got reason to worry? Is is just a matter of putting some air in there or is there some other thing I have to do, assuming I don't have to replace the stem? Thanks,
Karl

Cedarman

I'd put the tractor where a repair truck can get to it if the worst happens. Is the tire showing damp around the valve stem? If so there could be a small leak and you will have to either take the tire off and take it to a repair shop that has calcium chloride. Or call the repair truck.  Be sure you know the tire size when you call in as they will want to bring a tube just in case.

If no sign of leakage then park tire so valve stem is on the high side. Air tire up with compressor or air tank.  Check tire for proper pressure. Check daily for low tire pressure.  Do not run with low tire pressure or you will break down the side walls and leaky tube will be the least of your worries.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

dutchman

Add air so the pressure is right. Check valve stem with soapy water,will bubble if you have a leak.
It maybe the valve core is leaking, it's alot easier to replace than the stem.
Change core when located above fluid level.Say 11 or 2 o'clock position.

Cedarman

Might not hurt to jack tire off ground when changing valve core in case fluid level is real high.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Rockn H

Is Chloride or calcium chloride in your tires not corrosive.  We try to not put much antifreeze even because of the electrolosis it can cause after a few years. Just trying to learn something new.

Faron

Rockn H, Yes, It needs to be washed off if it gets on the rims.  On farm tractors it is contained in an innertube.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Ed_K

The 2003 MF I had was tubeless, in the 8 months I owned it the rim around the valve stem, started to rust. My new Landini has tubeless tires, but I had them loaded with beet juice consentrate. More weight per gal, no corrosion, but it cost a little more to load them.
Ed K

Tom

Does it make Beet Wine?   Does it fermint at all?  If so, what do you do to let the pressure out before it blows the tire?  ;D

mhasel

Make sure you are using a liquid tire gauge, calcium will ruin the best of gauges and I always spray a little oil on the air chuck after filling the tube. Also I have put just a little dab of penetrating oil in the valve stem and then hit it with a shot of air to help lubricate the stem, it seems to help and I haven't noticed any ill effects:) Take the advice earlier about having the tractor accessible if things go south, and be CAREFUL if you attempt to change the tire yourself, they are very heavy and hard to hold!!!!

Just my $.02

Mike

Thank You Sponsors!