iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber grading course opportunity

Started by Jeff, January 28, 2005, 07:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

A chance to be in a beautiful area rich in the history of lumbering in Michigan.

Hardwood Lumber Grading
A training opportunity to promote improved product quality and business profitability for hardwood sawmills of all sizes

Instructor:
Michael Long, Hardwood Consultant
February 21-25, 2005 MTU Ford Forestry Center US 41 Alberta, MI

Read all about it and register using the following brochures
http://www.timbermen.org/docs/gradeing_part1.doc
http://www.timbermen.org/docs/gradeing_part2.doc
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Gilman

There will also be a Alder and Maple grading course on April 21 & 22, 2005 in
Kelso, WA

Two day class from 9:00 to 5:00 each day costs $200 for members and $350 for non-members. The extra $150 for non-members can be used for your full first year introductory membership. Grading stick is required for $40 or bring your own. Room and meals are the students' responsibility.

Western Hardwood Association
P.O. Box 1095
Camas, WA 98607.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

VA-Sawyer

A warning for the non-northerners that might be thinking of attending the class posted by Jeff. Be advised that it is in the U.P. of Michigan. Be prepared to leave you car and ride a snowmobile the last 100 miles to the class. Snow gets pretty deep up there in the winter. I used to live in Northeast Michigan, where they think the Yuppers are nuts.

pasbuild

I don't want you folks to think for one minute that you need to be afraid of the amount of snow we have up here, were having spring like weather right now and the snow is a meltin ;) The forestry station in Alberta is right off the highway and the roads are clear and the parking lot is plowed.
Thats the good news, the bad news is that the closest lodging is in L'anse, theres about eight rooms and snowmobilers have them tied up all winter, next would be Houghton or Marquette both about 50 + miles, now don't let that get you down you can always bring your snowmobile and have a nice scenic ride to school ;D
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Furby

Well I'm interested..................just would be nice if it was in summer up there, or anytime..........someplace farther south! ::)

chet

Contemplating it too.  I'm not worried about da weather though.  ;)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Furby

I'm not worried about the weather at all! It's just in the summer there would atleast be some place to camp, and your food wouldn't freeze solid. I'm not interested in an hour drive to get to some food I like or a private room, ya know?

chet

I'm sure they have food and lodging right there. I know they have the facilities for it. Otherwise there's a cute little lake right across the road . You could always build an igloo and eat fresh fish.  ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Furby

Yeah, I like the igloo idea! I used to build quincys in the backyard, those things were warm!
I just figure building a fire to cook the fish might be a problem, your ice isn't THAT thick! ;)

The links Jeff posted says: Sleeping accomodations are double occupancy rooms in a dorm setting. All meals are served cafeteria style.
I can't handle those two things!

Are there resturants close by?

chet

:D :D :D  Don't worry 3 feet of ice will hold up a fire real good.   ;D

Just up the road in L'anse is the Hilltop restaurant. Very good food,and also have a motel. http://www.sweetroll.com/  Although rooms may be in short supply this time of year.

Furby

DanG it Chet! Ya had to go and post that link, didn't you!
I don't know though, $24.95 to have four sweet rolls shipped to me?
Looking at them...........it might be worth it! ;)

chet

Beleave me, they're worth it.   :)  But I get um fresh.  ;)

Gilman

To heck with those sweet rolls, look at their pizza.  And it's cheep too!  Mmmmmm Pizza.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Thank You Sponsors!