iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

R*E*A*D Forum upgrades starting  Possibly tonight.

Started by Jeff, January 28, 2005, 05:25:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Depending on how things go today, I plan on closing down the Forestry Forum later this evening to move all the forum data to our new server. There is a lot to move, over 200,000 files make up the forestry forum at this point, and thats not counting the additional 5,000 PLUS photos that we have all shared. There are many other things that I can move later such as the finda database and knowledge base and things like that.

Please bear with me on this. There certainly may be some hitches, and its very possible that this could take me through the weekend, but I promise, I want it to go as quick as possible mostly because I don't want to be without the Forestry Forum any longer then you. :)

The process, if you are interested, involves shutting access to the forum down so we do not produce any additional data that could be lost in the move. I then issue a command on the server to create a zipped copy of all the forum files. This takes some time. Once the file is created, I move it by ftp over the new server, where it is unzipped. The new forum software is there and running now. I then have a conversion process that is run to transfer all the flat file data from this forum into the new mysql database. Once that is complete, I can let everyone know where the new forum is by a link on our front door. This will be a funky address, an I.P. address, because I wont point the forestryforum.com address at the server until the successful migration. This DNS change, usually takes overnight.

So... Gather up the kids and go bowling tonight or restaurant hopping or call up a friend or a forum member and visit on the phone, or if yer close get together for smores. :D I don't do smores. Sometime I'll have to tell you about "The Great Smore Incident" :)

update1: I have removed the photo upload links so I can begin backing up and moving photos without loosing any. Sorry about the inconvenience
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sprucebunny

That's great , Jeff  8)

Hope you are getting enough sleep through all this

Will FF 2 be available ???

THANK YOU for all your work !!!!
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Jeff

Yes, I will leave that up, but again, please remember, everything posted there will be lost.  Actually I am glad you mentioned that. It would be a very good time for members to go over and get aquainted with all of the new features that will be provided on the new and improved board.  The one single thing that excites me the most is I can SEARCH AND FIND!  8)

Jeff

QuoteHope you are getting enough sleep through all this

I got 4 hours last night. I'm good ta go! :D

pappy

Been checking out the new place REALLY NICE !!  8) 8) 8)

and fast too ... the search feature is gonna come in handy...

Good Luck with the transfer !!

Thanks
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

OneWithWood

Get yer tickets!
Strap yourself in!
Wese all goin' for a ride! 8) 8) 8)

caution: there may be grits at the end  :o
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Frank_Pender

Heck bells, I am going through withdrawllllllll already.  :-[ :'( I will have to stay at the mill all night to help with the getting through without toooo much emotional stress and strain. :'(
Frank Pender

redpowerd

well im not sure i even new the forum had a sequel (spelled right?)

im goin to camp tonight, i hope i have a place to stick some pictures here someplace! ;D

better see ifin i cant find that new forum.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Jeff

Frank_Pender

Frank Pender

Jeff

Onething I would like to ad, is to tell you about the new server. It has twice the storage, 8 times the RAM memory and the processor is almost 8 times more powerful. I am expecting Zero lags due to the amount of activity on the forum. We should be able to support a thousand people on line at one time. ;D

Weekend_Sawyer

Way to go Jeff!!

Looking forward to that new house smell of a new forum... er whatever
See Yall on the other SIDE 8) 8) 8)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

GF

Good luck on the conversion, I know sometimes you can run into some small problems that take awhile to correct when doing something like this.  

I just in one of the new servers I ordered for the place I work at it has 41 146GB SCSI (almost 6 terabytes), was thinking about the forestry forum when rack mounting and cabling it, thought it would be great to be able to have forestry forum members upload videos etc to a unit with this amount of storage.

Good luck, and thanks for the hard work you do!

fstedy

Godspeed. Hope you have a smooth transition. We are lucky to have such a dedicated leader.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

chet

Glad da test site will be up during da move.  :) It would be an awfull long weekend without my forum buddies.  :'(

Good luck with da move Jeff. I was never very fond of it myself, 'cause I could never remember what box I put stuff in.  ???
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

etat

When I first got married my wifes parents were renting.  They would move once or twice a year.  This went on for almost four years and they'd always want us to help with our truck.  They had this old freezer they'd lug along every time that weighed a million pounds.  

The next to last time I helped them move I laid down the law.  I told em 'enough was enough'.  I told em they were throwing money away renting, and I was dang tired of helping move that there freezer.  I told them for as long as they lived I was making a promise now.  I would only help them move ONE more time. It would NOT be to another rent house, it would only be to a house they were buying for themselves.  

My speech worked out fine cause 8 months later they bought a house and I helped em move into it.  This was around 16 or 17 years ago and now their house is paid for.  They still got that dang freezer though.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Woodcarver

Good luck with the move and thanks again for all your hard work, Jeff.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

J_T

Ck iffin you good they might give you that frezzer some day ;D
Jim Holloway

Stephen

Jeff
Here's to a job well done!
Took me a few minutes to find my password, so I could login and say hello again.
Hello everyone!
Looks good from this angle, and it does seem faster. Faster than I can read or type.
1994 WoodMizer LT40G18. 69 acres mixed wood. 1952 ford tractor, Norse 290 winch, studed Norse ice chains. 45-66DT Fiat.

WH_Conley

This thing is fast!!!!

what's the guidlines for pictures over here?

pixey thingies and all, I see 20 kg
Bill

Tom

Same as it was on the old one ustil new rules are posted.

YOu gotta keep the pictures from blowing the margins of the page.  It's not just your page.  It may be big enough.  There are people out there with small screens and it really tears theirs up. :)

WH_Conley

I found that out, clicked on one, bout knocked me outts the chair, picture was good, just couldn't see it all
Bill

Ed_K

Way to go Jeff  8). I like it, but how do I change my time, it an hr slow?
Seem like we have a few new members today, Hello to all.
Ed K

DanG

I noticed that the time must be "Central", too. Maybe that's one of the "tweaks" Jeff was talkin' about, or maybe the new rig doesn't support the way we got spoiled to.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

GareyD

Ya can set the time in yer profile....

There is a place on there to +/- time so the Forum time on the top of the page matches the time where yer at  8)
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends, if they're okay, then it's you.

Thank You Sponsors!