iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thursday Sawing

Started by Kirk_Allen, January 27, 2005, 04:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk_Allen

Didn't see a Thursday Sawing thread so since its Thursday and I sawed today here goes ;D

Finished up a 350 BF of White oak today.  Quarter sawd most of it.

It sure felt good to get out of the office this afternoon.  Could have been a little warmer but then again it could have been a whole lot colder.

Furby

I'd say ya did good!
I really like that big plank!
Bar top maybe???

Gilman

Thanks for the photos Kirk,
Do you have any photos of your mill?

Gilman
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Kirk_Allen

I will try to post them tomarrow with my beast on it...............assuming I can get it loaded.  I have a 40" white oak I am going to attempt to widdle on provided I can get it on the mill.  It is 11 1/2 feet long so Im expecting to have to do a lot of assistance work to get it on the mill before I can widdle.

Kirk_Allen

Well I got this one on the mill. With all the ears on the but its about 44" at the widest point but I should be able to widdle it down no problem.  Its right at 36" on the small end and ol Betsy lifted her right up to my amazement.

fstedy

:D ;D :) Ya musta been feeding ole Betsy some GRITS to get her to pull that monster up. That Oak sure looks nice. Good job and good luck wittling up that bigun.    :) ;D :D
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Kirk_Allen

I have a couple of pics to post but cant quite figure out how to do it yet on this new set up. 

The first time I tried it the paper-clip showed up and it would download the photo to a JPG program but it does not show the photos in the post.

Any help is appreciated.  I know its something stupidly small but simple minds tend to miss those things. ;D

Sawing Logz

Great photo's  :o. How did you do that, and what camera do you have and at what pixel setting. Picture clarity was great.

Thankx, Sawing Logz.
City Forrest Treecycler

Kirk_Allen

The camera is a cheap freebie from Dell for buying the computer.  Its made by Largan and its a 2mg pixel camera.  As far as the pixels in the post, photos must be nor more than 350 in width and 15K in size. 

Once all the additional features are added Im sure the instructions for how to edit pictures will be back. 

I have some photos to post from today but cant  figure out how with the new system.

Percy

So thats what White Oak looks like. We dont have any  of that around here. Pretty nice.

I posted a pic of Schnider, the millpig just to see if the pic thing is workin. Kirk, if it is, just clik on Additional options and attach like a email. Slicker than snot on a doorknob :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

edsaws

Ya gotta love that mill pig and them boards don't look to shabby either. But I really like them stacks of wood. I'm still a newbie and can't wait to start makin them stacks ;D.

Percy

Quote from: edsaws on January 31, 2005, 04:09:12 PM
Ya gotta love that mill pig and them boards don't look to shabby either. But I really like them stacks of wood. I'm still a newbie and can't wait to start makin them stacks ;D.
Ya Schnider is still pretty young. He gallops around in the sawdust like a dog and you can tell he is enjoying life. The dogs harrass him till he gets pee oooed, then the mutts are on the run.

So what kinda mill you getting/got edsaw?? Cutting is fun/good for the soul. Im stuck doing yearend here today and wish I was cutting.  I truly believe the future  wood in North America will eventually be cut by small mills such as ours because we cant compete with foreign spagetti mills. We havem here in Canada but they are struggling and dwindling in numbers. The foreiners do it cheaper leaving our wood for the high dollar specialty stuff cut by folks such as ourselves(I hope ;D).
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Norm

Hey Percy that pigger of yours looks just like the one I got Patty for her birthday last year.

He has quieted down some since I put em in the freezer though. ;D

Kirk_Allen

Quarter Sawd the whole log.  Took a while but boy was it worth it! 

Thank You Sponsors!