iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homelite XL12 recoil

Started by dennisinmo, January 27, 2005, 01:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dennisinmo

I have a Homelite XL12 chainsaw (the blue one) that the recoil makes a loud screeching noise when the rope recoils back into the saw. Is there something I can clean and oil or do I need to replace something. The saw runs good and I want to repair it. Heirloom from my dad.
Safety always first.

Kevin

I would take that side off the saw and then pull it.
If it still makes noise then a quick spray job on the spring with Rust Reaper or some other inferior product would probably correct the problem.

Dean Hylton

I find that a lot of times you have to disassemble  the entire recoil assembly and clean every thing. This includes pulling the spring and wiping it down. A very light coat of good penetrating oil when done.

desdawg

I have to agree with a good cleaning. I have revived many on my antiques by doing just that.
Rookie Collector

dennisinmo

Thanks everyone. I'll try the cleaning. Tonight I have to work on the snowblower. We got 9.5 inches today south of KCMO.
Safety always first.

Tom

Every cloud has a silver lining.   I talked with my little brother, Charlie, last night and he was in Gran Marais, Minnehaha in FOUR FEET of the stuf. :D

Minnesota_boy

That should teach Charlie to go up into the snow belt along the lake.  The great lakes can really put a bunch of water into the air just waiting for an incomvenient time to come back down.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

skylog

Hey dennisinmo, how far south of KC are you?  My wife and I live in the Metro right now, but are looking at land down near Cleveland and Drexel, and even over into Miami County, KS.

Anyway, thought I'd say howdy to another Missourian.

dennisinmo

I live in Raymore. Been there for 24 years but work in Overland Park, KS.
Safety always first.

skylog

We live in south KC (almost Grandview), but I also work in Overland Park.  My wife and I looked at some land down there in the Raymore/Peculiar area - I like it down there.

dennisinmo

I went to clean up the recoil last night but chickened out pulling out the pully. I seem to remember the pain of winding up the spring the last time I had to replace the rope so I pulled the pully up a little and sprayed the spring with WD40. Seemed to help. Now to get the chain sharpened.  Thanks for the replys. 
Safety always first.

foresthawk

Just wondering --   do you run that saw  at  16:1,  or something else?

dennisinmo

Yes, I use 1/2 pt per Gallon which is 16:1.  I am interested in the other oils discussed in another thread here. Another consideration is the fact that I  only use this saw about once a year. If it ever dries out, I need to top out some trees in the back yard leaning over my neighbor's shed.
Safety always first.

Thank You Sponsors!