iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Learning to weld, period!

Started by johnday, January 25, 2005, 03:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnday

Started a college level welding class 2 weeks ago. We started out so far with stick, thats what I wanted to learn anyway. I'm looking at buying a Hobart Stickmate 235, AC/DC, 230V machine. I need to be able to weld upto 1/2" steel for fabbing and repair. Anybody have any comments or suggestions on my idea? ???
Trucks are red, tractors are blue.  Monroe Mi, for now, Barton City soon.

DanG

Well, I can't tell ya anything about that particular machine, but I can tell ya that you're doing the right thing, getting some instruction.  Most anybody can learn to stick two pieces of metal together in some fashion, but there is a lot to learn about doing it right. I never had any formal instruction, and I can do a fair job on most simple stuff, but it usually look's like a pigeon pooped on it. :-/
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WV_hillbilly

That's a good start with the school  John .  I started out with a lincoln welder similar to that Hobart . I recently  bought a Miller IdealArc 250 at a tech school auction . It was a great upgrade .  I don't know how much welding you plan on doing but if It was going to be an everyday thing I would get a bigger unit . Don't get me wrong those buzz boxes are great little machines for occassional use . Make sure what ever you buy it has the DC capabilities and fine tuning on the amperage . Some of the smaller welders have to coarse of amperage adjustment for  my tastes .
Hillbilly

Ironwood

Buzz boxes are great just try not to suck in to much of the fumes. They also excell in welding rusty old iron on machinery and that sort of thing (repairing things). Just watch the "open voltage"  associated with buzz boxes. keep everything in good order and watch yourself.  :PReid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Furby

Hey John,
Where did ya find that course at?
Haven't seen any around here, and would like to take one myself.

Avalancher

remember one thing when buying a welding machine, check the duty rating. A small welder like that may have a duty rating of only 10%, meaning that for every 6 minutes of welding you have to let it cool for 54 minutes. Can put a real damper on a welding project waiting for the machine to cool down. If you exceed the limit, you take a real chance on burning the machine up.
Take a look at this article
http://www.welding.com.au/pages/understanding_duty_cycle.htm

EZ

When I went to weld school the teach started us out with a lincoln stick. For 2 weeks we used coat hangers as the welding rod. For the first few days I thought, what a bunch of crap, ::) I came to this place to learn how to weld not how to make chicken do-do. :D It ended up that he, the teach was teaching us how to hold an arc. It was hard to do but I did weld with a coat hanger, try it, it will drive you nuts at first.
EZ

OneWithWood

EZ, it drives me nuts trying to weld with a proper rod!  I am improving but I still find myself playing connect the dots :o :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Murf

EZ, I agree whole-heartedly with that logic, but then again I believe everybody should learn to drive on a standard transmission also.  :D

The only comment I would have is you description of what you want to be able to do with the welder.

First off, you need a pretty serious welder to do much other than tack 1/2" plate. That's a heck of a lot of steel to melt together. Secondly, that much current will undoubtedly give you duty cycle issues.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

SwampDonkey

Our local Community College has a Mig welding course they offer. When my father went to grade school they were taught to weld in shop, along with mechanic work. Now they are only interested in teachin kids about computers. In my area there is more demand for welders and mechanics than any computer repair person. In fact I've seen alot of these computer shops go by the way side once ACOA let them on their own. To be successful they usually have a regular day job or run something like a Radio Shack franchise.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

EdK

Adding my two cents to the duty cycle subject...

You can fairly easily find a big 'ol industrial version of the buzz-box from Lincoln or Miller such as the Idealarc at a good price as it seems all of industry and the schools are changing over to inverters for efficiency's sake. If you only hobby or maintenance weld the efficiency becomes a non issue and you get an industrial-grade high duty cycle machine.

WH_Conley

Whenever I need to get retested for my bridge certification I go to the local High school adult education class, costs about thirty dollars and I can take the certification test for same money. If I just take the test cold turkey costs $125.00.

If anybody has three phase available watch the auctions, went to one that had a bunch of used welders, could get very good 3 phase for 100-150 dollars, buzz boxes 200 and up, they were handier for more people
Bill

Gilman

If anyone is looking for great cheap books on welding I'd recommend the books from the Lincoln Welding Institute.

https://ssl.lincolnelectric.com/lincoln/apdirect/store.asp?PID=16&cat=7

The books range from projects to the highly technical.  I'd recommend, Procedure Handbook "Fourteenth Edition" as a starter.

Before sawing and running my fab business I used to do failure anlysis for companies.  My favorites were when welds were failing.  Getting to tell a customer their existing fleet of machines were going to fail within 6 months of normal operation was alway a thrill.  

One customer tried their own fix before they hired me.  I analyzed their "fix" and discovered that repair method shortened the expected life by 50%.  It's nice to feel needed.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

johnday

Guys; Thanks for all the replies. I ran into a deal on a Miller Idealarc 250 from a friend of mine that didn't know I was getting into welding. Would you beleive $150US? Needless to say, he ain't a bad friend. :)

I found my local community college was offering welding courses. It's a college level course, not exactly cheap, but if they can teach an old carpenter to weld, it'll be worth the money ;D

I'm still open to any other hints suggestions whatever, I've found I like this!

WV_hillbilly

John I think you will be pleased with your purchase . That is what I have been welding with at home and work for about 5 years now . A really good machine .
Hillbilly

Minnesota_boy

Sometimes if you aren't taking the course at the college for credit toward a degree they will let you "audit" it for a reduced fee.  Check into it.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

johnday

MinnesotaBoy; I thought of that. The first reaction was a blank stare from my counselor. The second was "We can't". On a humorous note though, my counselor is a good 30 years younger than me!! I'd even bet my lunchbox is older than her! ::)

J T

I had an old timer that helped me in learning . A box of rods an a bunch of scrap and a lot of practice and I tell everone I still can't weld  :D :D

etat

JT, that's how they started me in at Mesker Steel back in the 70's.  They give me a hood, some new gloves, a chipping hammer and told me to go start welding on scrap.  I did that for two solid eight hour days before they even  took time to come by and give me any advice or instruction.   I asked a lot of questions from the folks around me that knew what they was doing. Also after the first day i went to the library and sat around awhile studying some books to try to get a basic idea of what I ought to be a doing and how I ought to be a doing it.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

J T

Bet you can weld now too. :D :D Reason I tell every one I can't weld is if it falls off Well I warned you ;D

Thank You Sponsors!