iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIG Changes

Started by Jeff, January 24, 2005, 07:07:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Folks, I have been stuggling with some issues regarding the performace of the software that makes up the Forestry Forum. We have exceded its limitations and performance herehas suffered tremendously. Its only going to get worse unless something is done. The answers are not easy because it has been unexceptable to me to lose our history, I refuse to justswitch to something and not be able to take all the past posts and threads with us somehow.

At some point we will find the answer, but at that point there will certainly be changes in the way the forum looks and operates. I will do my best to keep the look and feel we have now, but invariably we will have to make some trade offs. Big one I can see to begin with? Probably the members map. Big immediatte benefit? Fast fast fast new forum that will actually search our old material.

No matter what we do, the Forestry Forum will still be the Forestry Forum. Its not the software that akes it what it is, but its members.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Curlywoods

Here Here Jeff!  I have been a member of numerous forums in tha past, but there is not one that could come close to the sense of family that I feel here at the FF!  What ever the growing pains might be, we will all deal with them and move forward.  Thank you for being so tireless and helpful to all of us!
All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

MULE_MAN

I knew there would be side effects from you eating those Grits, But I didn't
know it would affect the soft ware too !!!! Just kidding !!! Jeff you do what has
to be done, You have always made this Forum the Best.  And there's allot
of good people in it !!  8)   8)  8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

OneWithWood

Jeff,
I trust your judgement and better speed and search capabilities would be welcome.  The member map is way cool and it would be sad to see it go by the wayside, but progress always has a price.  Is there some way to capture the map image before you make the change?  Just for posterity.  Will you be giving us a few days warning before you make the change?  I really like the look and feel of this forum but I could get used to something different.  You are right it is the members that make the forum.
Will we get more smileys :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Percy

Yep. Sometimes ya gotta change the motor. Havta ride the bus for a few days, BUT, the net result is an improved vehicle 8)
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Jeff

Goal one is to be able to import all our members, posts and threads to a new software without loss. That is going to be a huge undertaking. We will probably have to shut down to do it. I will probably try to do it in the wee hours of a morning, but it may take a long time. (Hours? Day? Days?) I still am far from this step, but will let you know as far ahead as possible.

Avalancher

Now if you shut it all down for days, what am I supposed to do while eating breakfast? :-[
NO, I dont eat grits.
Use em to patch holes in the driveway though

MULE_MAN

:D   :D  :D  :D   :D

fstedy

:) ;D :D Big Job for a Big Man  :D ;D :) You have created a Masterpiece and its a work in progress. We all apperciate you Dedication for our mutual enrichment. What ever is done we know it's in the best interest of  this  8) 8) 8) Great Group 8) 8) 8).
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

fstedy

Jeff
Another forum I use to frequent was similar to this one but with a different topic ( hydronic heating). They used to buy bricks to help support the forum operating costs. I know you have some great sponsors but I'm sure they don't cover all your expences. Maybe we could buy a timber to help with the new addition on the  ??? ;D :o Sawshed  :o ;D ???.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Hokiemill

Jeff,

Along the lines of fstedy's post, can you create a forestryforum paypal account, then add a button to push for members to make donations to the ff account.  Very painless way for people to donate.  Five or ten bucks from lots of members could certainly help the forum get past its growing pains.

rebocardo

I don't know if you are running Unix or Windows, but, if you need Windows software try www.santronics.com. It is very scalable and allows you to dedicate single machines to single tasks or a single database. I ran it for a while, when it was Wildcat Server, and then upgraded when it became WinServer.

The nice thing is you can add a basic programming language to it to write modules.

Jeff

Nope running unix/apache  :)

Problems are no so much getting a new good software, its the conversion process, saving all of our information.  :-/

slowzuki

Jeff, if you could message me some of the specifics, a good friend of mine is a Unix system admin who recently setup several bbs related to his hobbies.  He is pretty handy at script writing too.  He was able to move everything from the mailman email list database into the new bbs.

He may have some hints to help the migration.

Ken

Cedarman

The FF is like a journery and I am really enjoying the trip with a great crowd. Jeff, you are a great engineer and conductor, lead us on, we're following. Thank You
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Jeff

QuoteJeff, if you could message me some of the specifics, a good friend of mine is a Unix system admin who recently setup several bbs related to his hobbies.  He is pretty handy at script writing too.  He was able to move everything from the mailman email list database into the new bbs.

He may have some hints to help the migration.

Ken

Thanks for the offer Ken, I have a couple folks working on this with me, so I think I am covered at this point, but I sure wont hesitate to lean your way if I need to. :)

slowzuki

No problem Jeff,  I know too there is a point where too many people looking at a problem slows down the solution!
 ;D

QuoteThanks for the offer Ken, I have a couple folks working on this with me, so I think I am covered at this point, but I sure wont hesitate to lean your way if I need to. :)

Norm

It sounds like a good idea Jeff, maybe we members can set up a fundraiser to help out with the purchase of the new software. A silent auction would be cool but maybe more hassle than help. Patty and I'd be happy to donate some hardwood or a cash donation whichever would be easier. :)

VA-Sawyer

Jeff,
I told you ! No, I didn't say a word to anyone else. There are a lot of good folks here.
VA-Sawyer

MULE_MAN

Well I know I sure wouldn't have a problem donating for any New Soft ware that needed or for anything else to keep this Forum going
I never did think it was just real Fair for Jeff to be eating the cost of keeping this Forum going. When this Forum has helped so many people. If someone wants to start a Fund raiser up, just give me a Address, and the check will be in the mail !!!!!!  8)  8)  8)

EZ

I will miss the member map but you do what you have to.
Donation, you all know my answer. ;D
EZ

WH_Conley

Jeff, let us know about donations or whatever.

Now if ya have to take FF down for a while be sure ya got it runnin fast when its back up, I'll be havin DT's.

Whatever you need to do we are behind you.
Bill

Paschale

Jeff,

I'm thinking that the paypal idea is a good one.  And if you don't institute it...well, maybe some of the enterprising minds among us will figure out a way to make a collection behind your back.  ;)   And then we'll just have to deal with another "I know" thread...and do we REALLY want another one of those?   ;)

My vote is for a paypal donation option--lord knows I derive enough enjoyment from the FF that I'd gladly help to defray the costs!  Thanks again for all your hard work!  

8)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

dail_h

Uhhhhhhmmmm does this mean ya gonner move the furniture again??? Like everyone else,if donations,or dues will help........ You da BOSS,you have my permission to do what needs did
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Jeff

I have been working most of the day on a new platform and have it up and testing on my other server. It cant stay there due to the factthat I have to keep that space reserved for my web clients. The forum is going to have to have a new server. :-/

If you would like to go register and play (actually help evaluate) on the test site (it will all be removed in time) you are welcome to. Let me know what you think so far. I have it formatted really close to the same look as here.

{unavailable link}

Furby

Duh...........we crashed it already! ;D

Jeff

I broke it trying something. its a whole new language to learn.

Furby

Here I was about to ask who did it. :D :D :D

etat

You done knows how most a us feels.  Let us know what we can do ta help. I shore wouldn't mind pitchin in and helpin pay the light bill.  I don't do paypal but I'll be glad to donate.  Just let us know. :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

chet

Had me worried  :o  I thunk I blew it up.  :-/
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

sprucebunny

You was typin too fast Chet...you smoked it ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Arthur

Jeff

is the member map a problem or is it just the graphics/pic.  You would save a lot of space using black and white maps instead of colours or just store one set of colour maps in a database and the coordinates for the members mark and merge at time of viewing.

arthur

isawlogs

I went there and came back quick ... glad it wasn't me ... I'm truly am followed by Murphy...
 Jeff ... I' be glad to pitch in some ... I aint got much but this is the best place I found to be on the net and made some good friends on here , I even manage to make some roll there bellys just by signing on .... I'd be  very honored  in participating in a donation ....
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

DanG

Over at the "Tractor Tales" board at ytmag, they have a member map that is on a completely separate site. It was done by one of the members, and isn't actually related to ytmag. That might be a possible solution to the map problem.  ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

OneWithWood

Well you must be playing with it - it is taking forever to load

Da-tum, da-tum, da-tum

I really should be working . . .

Da-tum, da-tum, da-tum

Well I guess I will tune in later . . . ::)
One With Wood

Jeff

I wouldnt load cause it wasnt there. :D   I broke it. I have reinstalled it and its ready for testing again.  Everyone that can, please go over and register and test the functions. :)

{unavailable link}

Roxie

WOW!   8)
Is that a new feature ???....when someone posts to the thread while you are typing, it gives you the option of changing your response?  I REALLY like that!  
Say when

Jeff

Yep, that is a feature with that software.  Just wait until you see how easy it is to attach photos.  TO EASY!  :D

MULE_MAN

Well it worked for me  :)  I was there & now I'm here  ;D

OneWithWood

Yep.  I like the look.  Didn't have time to register.  My sweetie says it is time to eat.  Don't have to call me twice.  I'll get back to it.
One With Wood

OneWithWood

Finally got back to it.

I really like it! 8) 8)

Had to tear myself away to come back to the real mc coy. :)
One With Wood

Jeff

No kidding, its so blazing fast its almost aggravating here  :-/

Just bare with me, I have some decisions to make in order to get all this done, some of it depends on things I dont have a good grasp on yet.

J_T

Jeff if you survied them Grits you can do anything :D :D
Jim Holloway

VA-Sawyer

Jeff,
Was this forum fast in the early days when there were a lot less posts ? Is there some way to put about 100,000 posts and 2000 members in the new software and then load test it with 25 users online at the same time ?  Are you still comparing new software packages, or have you pretty much decided to go with this new one.
I am NOT, repeat Not, complainig or bitching here, just asking questions.  I tend to get cautious when new software promises a bunch of new features and more speed at the same time. It's kinda like being told that a new car has twice the power and gets 25% better mileage than last years model.  ::)
VA-Sawyer

Jeff

I plan on the test with our info. No, this software was never that fast. I also am monitoring the server and actions with that software barely make a blip where if someone edits a profile here we get a 40% hit on the server CPU.

I have been visiting boards running the new software and witnessed boards with over 1,000,000 posts and 20,000 members with over 500 users on line while I was there. I ran some searches on that board and got almost intant retunrs searching 0 to 9,999 days for all boards.

Yes, this is what we are going to. I have almost made up my mind to break down and get another dedicated server to serve just the forestry forum and is membership. Thats my hold up now on starting the move towards implementation.

Larry

Maybe I'm seeing things but the sitemeter flashed something like 1,000,655 visits at me today.  Can't get it to do that again and when I click on it shows a different number. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

sprucebunny

I just saw that ,too ,Larry ........???
If you click on the spot where it was you get an info page but it doesn't have that big #
When you change pages you can see it again ;D

Paul_H

If you "left click"and hold the mouse and sweep over the meter,it will show up.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Jeff

The site meter does say that, because it adds the 200,000 visits to the counter that the forum/timbewrbuyersnetwork recieved before joining sitemeter, We have had over 1,000,000 visitors although this has nothing to do with the software??

Jeff

First attempt at a conversion failed. Had to delete everything, reinstall and restart the conversion. I did sleep from 3 am until 4:30 am during the process so it wasnt a total loss.  :D Got a long ways, but ended up having problems. I removed the links to the test board. I encourage you, if you had a bookmark or something to the test, please DO NOT visit the board and try to log in. I need to keep every bit of drag off of this as possible.

Thanks!

Ianab

this is why we do these things on a test server eh  ;)

dont let it keep ya up all night

ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Yes, by all means go to bed once in awhile.  ;) :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

The testing can Re-commence!  The log in you use here is now good over there for everyone that registered before last week.  Remember, this is still a test board over there, DONT forget where you are at. Everything over there will be deleted when I move the board to its BRAND SPANKING NEW SERVER. ;D  We should have lots of new options and oportunities when we do the final move.  Please help test the test board tonight. All our member info is there, and almost ALL of our posts. over 140 thousand of them!

www.limeisland.com/board !!!

SwampDonkey

I think we are all gonna love our new home once it's built. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Furby

This is to everyone who is not over there!
[size=20]GET YOUR BUTT OVER THERE!!![/size]

Just don't post anything you want to keep! ;) ;)

Stump Jumper

:-[ Ok what am i doing wrong to log in over there  ???
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Stump Jumper

8) 8) Ok i'm slow but I made in over there very cool 8)
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Brad_S.

Took me a while too. If your name has a space in it, you must put in the underline where the space is or you butt your head against the wall for a while! :D
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

sandmar

Looking good Jeff! Like the new format very slick and clean.

Sandmar

Jeff

It wont be long and i will be shuting us down. :o  I have the new software installed and running on the new server. (thats 3 forestry forums at the moment! 8) I just have to pick a time to shut all the forestry forum down, zip it all up and ship it over to the other server to start the conversion process. I am estimating it will take me about 12 hours to finish up if everything goes well.

What I can do, while this one is down, is let you folks carry on over on the test board. Just remember though, everything over there that is posted, will be history. There will be no saving it.

sprucebunny

GREAT idea , Jeff.....I'm sure I'd have some kind of withdrawal if the FF was missing for 12 hours ;D  :o

Thank You Sponsors!