iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jerry Clower

Started by Tom, January 22, 2005, 10:56:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

One of my most favorite story tellers is Jerry Clower.  Jerry was a Mississippi native who told down-home stories about the exploits of his friends, the Ledbetters.   Sometimes Jerry was involved and sometimes he was just an on-looker.  But, the stories always send me laughing to the edge of tears.

We have a member who, even though he doesn't know it, entertains me immensely just by showing up.  Why?  Because in his signature at the bottom of his posts he has written his name, Marcel.   Marcel was Jerry Clower's "most close-essts friend".  Marcel was the butt of many of Jerry's jokes, the subject of many of his stories and, like my childhood friend, Ugly Eddy, you couldn't help but like him..  

Every time I see this fellow signed on, I think of Jerry's stories about "the wreck of the cattle truck" and "the trip to New York"  where, in the dead of winter, the hotel room was miserably hot and the bathroom light had no switch.

I'm always amazed at how easily I am entertained.  I don't need a joke, just a trigger to get my mind started on links back in my memory until one sticks so solidly in front of my eyes that I can't ignore it.  I can sit here at the computer and laugh so hard that my wife will stick her head in the door and ask "wha's so funny?"  

"Marcel just logged on", I'll say, and she will go on back to the kitchen with a terribly confused look on her face. :D :D

J_T

Tom I noticed Marcel too but weren't going to say anything ::) How about the Dutchman Always think about that lost mine .You know ck is from Jerry's part of the world and pretty entertaining too :D :D
Jim Holloway

Tom

Did you know that was your six hundred and sixty-sixth post?  :D

I know about CK and find his stories interesting and entertaining.  I guess I was intimating that a story isn't always necessary.  Sometimes a person can entertain himself if the right triggers are available. :)  Yep, CK's stories are funny and I've laughed over them a lot.  But here is a fellow that can turn my tickle box upside down just by logging on.  :D :D

isawlogs

I'm easily entertained too ..... And Tom I'm very happy to know that I can make your day by loggin on ... You mon ami have me going to I got this santa that looks just like you and plays the sax when ever you push his buton and does a little hip dance .... Gets me every time ....
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

J_T

First time I seen Tom with sun shades on 8) 8)
Jim Holloway

isawlogs

He wanted to stay anonimous....

I have a lot of fun wit my tom.... hes good with the curved wind machine ....
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Tom

etat

I KNOW I ought not to say this and I'm sorry but I  can't help it. ::)  The first image that popped in my head when I saw that last photo is that our Tom oughta run fer President. :D  
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

J_T

I'd vote for him any day 8)
Jim Holloway

isawlogs

:) :D :D :D :D :D :D ;D ;)

Marcel

SwampDonkey

He's quite the wind bag, isn't he Marcel?  :D :D ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

A true wind bag would have bagpipes.   I'm just a little wheezer.   ;D

sprucebunny

I think it's an amazing coincidence that Tom and Marcel happen to crack each other up......and they didn't know it till now  :o
What a group ! ! !  :D :D :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

isawlogs

I dont know ... you'll keep going if I push your button .... and I can push ones button .... and you just keep on blowing that horn .... and when I think you are tired .. I just afta push you one more time ...... ;) ;D

Marcel

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DanG

I gotta admit, I think about Jerry's stories when I see Marcel's signature, too.  I have to remind myself that this ain't no Ledbetter we're dealing with.

To me, Jerry's best Marcel story was "Marcel and the Beer Joint."  It kinda fit's in here, too, cause Marcel Ledbetter was a logger. He knew how to put a "lightweight McCulloch chainsaw" to good use, too. :D :D :D

Marcel, you probably didn't even know of the joy you've been spreading. :) :) ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Curlywoods

Yep I admit teat oo.  Marcel and Jerry Clower will always be though of in the same thoughts :-)  My father loved Jerry Clower :-)  I sent him a  set of cassette tapes with Jerry Clower stories when he was terminally ill.  I still can see the smaile on his face and the chuckle that would follow when Jerry made him laugh.

Some of my favorites were the time that they managed to go the church of snake worshippers and the night that they wewre coon hunting and Jerry was in the tree with the coon fighting.  Jerry yells down to Marcel to shoot into the tree.  Marcel says he afraid that he will shoot Jerry, but Jerry says either him or than coon needs some relief!!!!  :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thanks for bring this up Tom and Marcel please do not take this wrong.  I smile everytime I see the name too  ;D
All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

isawlogs

I'm not one to take things seriously ... Just glad to hear I can crack you guys up ... just by signing in ... Not to many hear can brag about that
  But I would like to know why ....  ??? and who is Jerry Clower and his pal Me ???

Marcel

ScottAR

My favorite was always the one with the big steel aggies Jerry got from his brother Sonny.  

Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

J_T

Someone send Marcel a copy of them tapes. 8) ;D
Jim Holloway

ohsoloco

I know there's a tape around the house here somewhere called Clower Power  :D  Found it in one of those discount tape bins at a store.  Just may have to dig that out.  

ellmoe

Back in my younger days :D I I would visit my "kinfolk" in Macclenny, Fla. (Tom , I'm sure you know where this is). Macclenny was/is small town America with one main street. On Friday night the teenage boys would pile in a car, while the girls did the same, and the various groups would cruise up and down the main road, honking and yelling at each other! It was kind of like a dog chasing a car, what's he going to do if he catches one? Well, I was always the youngest, and we never did "catch" any, but there sure was alot of bragging about what would happen if.... One thing I remember well was the mid-point spot between the two "turnarounds". It was the "Midget Burger" restaurant. I guess you could eat inside the MB, but I never saw anyone do so. Instead everyone "hung out" in the parking lot, swapping "what ifs", and "if onlys", till it was time to start cruising again. Anyway, the Midget Burger had a set of loud speakers outside and they played Jerry Clower tapes continuosly. I remember Marcel hollering for "some relief" from that "souped up wildcat", and I also remember the phrase "knock-em out Johnnnn!". For the life of me I can't recall that story. Does anyone have a better memory than I?
     Jerry Clower, that fertilizer salesman from Mississippi, would  say, "I don't tell funny stories,...I tell stories funny." He sure did.
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

DanG

Good storytellers are hard to beat for entertainment. Stories don't have to be funny to be good, but the funny ones are, hands down, the best to listen to.  Jerry Clower is probably the most prominent of the Southern yarn spinners, but several others come to mind. Justin Wilson, the Cajun Cook, has given me many hours of glee. Bill Cosby is another good one. The characters he created with his stories are still popular, and one of the hit movies of this season is about Fat Albert.  Andy Griffith first gained fame with his "What it was was Football" story.  Lesser known, but just as funny, are Wendy Bagwell, and Cotton Ivey.  Bagwell, to me, is the funniest one of all. He was the one that did the story about the rattlesnakes in church. He actually was an evangelist who did revivals at churches all over the South. All of his recordings were made live, in churches.

I haven't tried, but I would think all of these stories would be available for download from the internet.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

etat

I always liked Roy D Mercers prank phone calls too.  One a my favorites was when he told that car salesman he was a gonna open up a 55 gallon drum of whip ass on him.  The salesman laughed and told him he was gonna be making a mistake and kept trying to convince Roy he actually had absolutely NO recollection of what he was a talking about.. :)

The calls were always set up in advance but the person on the other end of the phone didn't know it until everybody started laughing.

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Curlywoods

Charles,

Roy D. is a favorite of mine too.  His wife Sharon Jean is always ready to do his dirty work if he has to deal with a woman :-)

One of favorite lines of his is "just how big of a ole' boy are you anyhow".

Good stuff indeed :-)  We need more people that can make folks laugh :-)
All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

Thank You Sponsors!