iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a LT 30 Bed Extension

Started by Dana, January 20, 2005, 01:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dana

My LT 30 Woodmiser has a 16' bed. I called Woodmiser to purchase an extension they tell me that no extension is available. It is a 1988 model. Has anyone fabricated one? If so I would like to see a set of your plans. I would like to be able to bolt or weld it permantly to the mill and still tow the mill.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Tom

There are no extensions available probably because it is a 1988 model rather than because it is an LT30.  An LT30 is not much more than a shortened LT40.   Permanantly attaching an extension would mean that you would have to change the center of gravity of the machine.  The best Idea would be to move the head forward to compensate for the extra weight you add to the end.

The trick to putting an extension on would be to make sure that the beam was perfectly straight with the rest of the mill and would withstand the weight of the log.   Operationally, the only thing you should have to change would be chain for the head and trailer lighting.  Sounds pretty easy to me.  I would have to get a machine shop to do it though.  I don't have the expertise.  Do you? :)

gmmills

Dana,

I was told the same thing about my 1991 LT40.  Of course, I wanted to know why. Took a few more calls to WM to get the right tech and answer.  I was told that the issue with adding the extension had to do with the track rods. The rods on the older mills extended beyond the end of the box frame and had a washer welded to them on the end to act as a stop. The newer models have the rods cut flush with the end of the frame in order to mount the extension. Just need to cut the rods. With the right tools anything can be done.  I sold the mill before trying to adapt it to receive the BX.

Not sure if the LT30 has the same issues. I've only owned LT40's .  
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

isawlogs

Dana
 by how much are you looking at extending the mill by ?
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Dana

I would like to extend the mill to 24' in length. Besides the round tubing, the main beam and the chain, wouldn't you have to build at least one more log support and a support to the ground?

ronwood

Dana,

One think I would be concerned obout is the size of the axle. Can it carry the extra weight. The second thing is that the balance of the mill for towing will be altered. You would have to change the postion of the head.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

isawlogs

Keep in mind that the round stock is not cold roll ,
 One option that is open to you is to extend the mill at both ends ....this way you avoid having to deal with rebalancing the mill , as far as the axle is concerned I would give woodmizer a call they will tell you what rating it is or look on the axle the tag should be there ....
 I would , if it was me , extend the mill at both ends .... it will not be that much more work , carbon copie of each end ... 6 feet you can fabricat and instal each end with a swing away bunk like the lt40 , one extra leg at each section at the weld ...
  Thats my 2 pennys worth ... If you need any help on the set up let me know I'll be glad to help you out ...
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

EZ

I agree with isawlogs.
Wish I would have thought of that before I made my extension.
EZ

Dana

It sounds like a great idea to work from both ends of the mill. Did you use an insert in the rectangular beam or just but weld it?

Minnesota_boy

I saw a home made extension on a local mill.  I think they used cold roll for the track.  It had deformed where the tracks meet until there was a noticeable dip in the track.  I'd hesitate to run the mill head across such a dip. :o :(
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Dana

I think the round stock on my mill is hot rolled, and looks to be solid stock not tubing.

Fla._Deadheader

Dana,   We took 4 pieces of round rod and welded it to the inside four corners of the back of our main frame. Then we found the same size tube(4x8) with the same size ID measurement made it the length we wanted. Then welded 4 angles to both pieces so we could bolt it tight together so we can remove it when we travel with it. We added 4support legs so it would be like a free standing piece. It has a master link in the chain so it can be extended to the length we built. It takes about 15 minutes to put on and take off but we find it easier to saw the short stuff Its not as heavy. Good luck, ED :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

isawlogs

Dana
 I would put a inset into the mill beam ... then put the beam that you will be extending with in ... tack it in .... Make sure that every thing is straight , level and is where it needs to be ... then I would tack in the round stock ... this will allow you to align the round stock with your mill ... once this is done  ,cut the tacks holding the tubing out and do the welding on a bench ... beeing careful not to move the round stock ... make sure that the welding tacks are good and solid .. so that when you do start welding the rod that it is not pulled out of line by the weld ... stager your weld from one side to the other at a foot aprt  from one end to the other .... so that when finished your welds are on both sides and at the same place  across one an other .... If you want I can draw up the welding procedure for you and send it by IM ... let me know

Marcel

MemphisLogger

isawlogs,

If'n you do draw that up, please IM me too  :)

Or best yet, post it here so all us lurking would-be extenders get a a gander at it  ;)
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

isawlogs

I'll do the mesuring on mine and try to draw it up tonight ....
 I'll post it here , when its done ....

Marcel

Dana

Sounds good. I bet there are quite a few people who are interested in your plans.

isawlogs

Well we need to start some where ... The leg placement on the 21 ' mills is different then the 16 ' ... I mesured mine up and here are the numbers all are taken center of the leg ....

You will need to remove and replace two of the legs .( the ones that are circled ). To do this first get the mill to where you will be doing the extending ... then put all the jacks down but the one you will be taking off .... Take that one off and mark where it does , You will need to find the center of the mill , take your center in between long bunks on your mill , mesure 78 1/2 " to the front or back , that is center of where the leg is to be ...drill the holes and place the jack , do the same at other end ...
Not having a lt30 to mesure I'm not sure that the 2X2 is in the way .If the 2x2 tubing is in the way cut it off , If not you can leave it there ...

Things that you will need
: Piano wire ... get a 100 ' roll
: 2 1/2 " angle X 1/4 " thick  to make these
: 1/2 threaded rod  ... cut 4 " long  drll a  1/8 hole at one end   4 of these
: 2 1/2 " X 1/2 " bolt   X 4   suport for angle   
: 14    1/2 " nuts

Marcel

Dana

Marcel, I brought this thread up to the top because a friend of mine has voluntered to build the extension for me.  Your last post only has to do with the removal of the extra legs. My LT-30 only has 4 to start with. Do you have any detailed photos of your extension? Were you done with your plans or were more coming? I know you are busy building your home now and can understand if you don't have time to post more on the subject. Fla-Deadheader, Larry, the guy building this is talking of the exact thing you mentioned....  Alignment guides in the corners and bolting it together.  Do you still have the mill or the ability to get photo's / drawings of your extension? I will be posting photos of our progress. Dana

isawlogs

Dana , I am on my way out , but will get wright on it as soon as I get back here monday .

Marcel

Dana

Dana

I thought I would update you all on the progress. My friend Larry is working 12 hour days 7 days a week for two more weeks so progress will be slow till his work becomes normal. First picture shows the old and new beams they are fastened with two bolts and use guide pins to align the beam. Design must be like FlaDeadheaders I think, although Larry came up with it on his own.
The second picture is of the beam its 12 feet long.
Sure would like to see some pictures of anybody elses extension... home built or factory. Our final design isn't done yet and it never hurts to get ideas. :)

getoverit

I had thought that you were going to add 8 feet to the bed, but you are adding 12 feet?

I think you are going to need to move the axle to the rear some?
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Dana

It was 8 feet till we found out that it cost almost as much for 8 as a full twenty foot piece.  The extension unbolts to go down the highway so the axel won't need to be moved. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!