iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Expensive sawdust

Started by wiam, January 19, 2005, 05:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA-Sawyer

I can just see Kirk at a tailgate party " Pssst...Buddy, You want to buy a nickle bag to smoke with those burgers?"   :D

Kirk, I think you need to rethink that plan a little.

Buzz-sawyer

You guys just keep a teasin ole Kirk........BUT he sold a bag of sawdust recently for $20...........when have ya done that ......... :D :D :D :D :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Kirk_Allen

SSHHHHH - QUIET BUZZ  ;D  Cant let to many folks know whats happening  ;D

Jeff

I thought I was doing good of getting rid of what little sawdust I made so far by putting it in compost bags and getting it picked up today for free. Come fall I'll advertise it as deer shack floor insulation and sound deadening material.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kirk_Allen

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
http://www.curlywoods.com/smokin_woods.html
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Doc

I think we are seeing Kirk completely going bonkers! He must be nuts!

I have to admit he is making an easy buck though off "floor sweepins".

Doc

Mtnjack

Sorry to bust your bubble but the hickery sawdust fad has past and now its apple wood and  we have the market all tied up ,the very best for smoking birds and pig. Mtn Jack

Jeff

How about choke cherry?  I know they use it, but you could market it to the goth crowd. "Live life dangerously, smoke your pork with cyanide wood"

Doc

Jeff....could you do that and get away with it without being sued by the family of the dead? I mean...it is a funny, and in some ways for me anyway entertaining idea, but could you legally get away with it?

Doc

Jeff

People use cherry for smoking all the time around here. Mostly for smoking fowl and pork. I never heard of the trace amounts of cyanide contained in cherry ever mentioned, but I know its in there, but I think mostly in the leaves. MARKETING

Doc

HEHEHEHE!

Shoot....you guys are gonna have me grinding the azaleas for chips and dust!

Doc

Ernie

My circle mill generates a lot of coarse dust , I get $20.00 for a wool pack full of pine -- fill it yourself for calf shed bedding.  I'm happy just to get it cleaned up.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Kirk_Allen

Doc,
Totally certified lunitic I am 8) 8)

I have been overwhelmed this last severl years with great things happening.  Sawdust is selling, Logs are coming in, customers are happy, new customers every week and Im even selling some boards!

I had my Ball joints replaced in the truck today.  BOY DO I LOVE LIVING IN THE COUNTRY!  Ford dealership did it, as I was told by Chev to go there other car dealership for my alignment.  The found upper and lower ball joints worn out so I said fix them. 

$120.00 PARTS AND LABOR and 12 month warrenty!  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Alignment - $45.00  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

You will NEVER see those prices in the Chicago area!

Best part of all, the mechanic who did the work is a woodworker and once we got talking guess what!  He wants to come out next week and get some wood!  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Kirk_Allen

:o :o :o :o :( :( :( :( :o :o :o

I think I am going to be Sick, REAL SICK.  I cleaned up ALL the Osage sawdust today and burned it.  Guess what my wife tells me tonight?

Osage Sawdust for dying wool is selling for $1.30 AN OUNCE!  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

http://www.earthguild.com/products/dyes/dyenat.htm

Any guess what I am going to start backing next?

Doc

Quote from: Kirk Allen on May 31, 2005, 12:44:51 AM
:o :o :o :o :( :( :( :( :o :o :o

I think I am going to be Sick, REAL SICK.  I cleaned up ALL the Osage sawdust today and burned it.  Guess what my wife tells me tonight?

Osage Sawdust for dying wool is selling for $1.30 AN OUNCE!  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

http://www.earthguild.com/products/dyes/dyenat.htm

Any guess what I am going to start backing next?

How many more of those logs you have left to cut? How many more are left out there to be taken down? How many shorts you think you can grind up and make some fine dust out of? How much money do you need in one lifetime? Can I have a loan of a million or tow with slow payments and no interest?

I got lots of questiosn Kirk. I hope you have time in all of these endeavors to give answers...... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Doc

Doc

Speaking of dyes....aren't walnut hulls (the black hull pieces I think) good for some form of leather dye or something?

I wonder if pecan hulls are as well.....

And what about oak bark for tanning leather? Is that correct?

Doc

Curlywoods

Oh my goodness  :o    I can see Mr. Allen  cruising the parking lots this Fall, aboard his specially decked out golf cart with PA system.  "Come and get your Fresh  Illinois Hickory Smoking Sawdust.  I bet you can already taste those smoked brats and burgers.  MMMMMM!  Don't waste food that good, smoke it with our wood!"

The really funny thing is that everything that you touch seems to turn to Gold  :)  Hell why am I laughing  :o

What will it be next  ??? ERC composite men's underwear  :D   No Kirk, no walk away from that one  :o
All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

Kirk_Allen

Doc, Yes walnuts are also used.  Dont have enough time or back muscles to bend over and pick those up  ;D

Now you all go ahead and laugh cuz tommarrow my wife is going to the farmers market and I loaded her up with a TRUNK load of sawdust, Back Seet full of walnut slab wood pieces and several Walnut Clock faces for her to go sell.  I think she will have enough room in the front seet for her stuff ;D

Mike, Have you EVER known me to walk away with out at least TRYING?  I think you're on to something.  It may just work!  Time to shoot CK a message on this one cuz the more I think about it, the more I think you may just have the key GOOSE! 

Curlywoods

Some people never take no for an answer and they find ways to prosper.  Others work to find ways to shy away from working at all.  I think that Kirk has the truest entrepenuarial spirit of any person that I have ever meet.  He looks for opportunity in every situation, rather than looking at many things as toil and tedium.  I sometimes wonder how he does it, but I believe it is rooted in pure faith.  I think that I need a little transfusion of spirit from Kirk  :)
All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

MULE_MAN

Yes  !! I would have to agree, Faith, & being a very ambitious person & a
all around good Ole Boy !! Kirk is really something else !! & I mean that in
a good way !!!  8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

Doc

I am trying to figure out how much coffee the man drinks! Kirk must never sleep for all the stuff he has going on! I want some of what he has in that coffee pot!

Doc

Frank_Pender

Doc, here in Dallas, Oregon we have the longest tontinual tannery West of the Missississippi, still in great working order.   Infact, they still use the bark and other from old growth Douglas Fir and other such extracts for their  tanning process. 
Frank Pender

Kirk_Allen

STARBUCKS! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

I have to say, God is blessing me and I just cant seem to slow down! 

Buzzsawyer is here tonight and going to the shootout with me.  He was due in late afternoon.  Well, today about noon the power company called.  They said they have two 60 foot poles being replaced and wanted to know if I wanted the old ones. 

ME?  SURE 8) 8) 8) 8)  By the time I got everything hooked up and ready to go Buzz wheeled in the drive.  His first mission?  MEET JIM! 

Jim drove his 4020 down the road to help me load the poles.  The bottom part of the first pole was 36 feet long.  Had to whack it to get it on the trailer.  The top of that one I will have to get when I get back.  Lots of hardware on it that has to be removed.

The second pole was just as big and long.  Jim drove the tractor, I chained the poles for loading and BUZZ took the pictures!  8) 8)

Next call came in right after loading the poles.  Our farmer is cleaning up the clearcut mess and wanted me to come look at some logs.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
First log was a Hard Maple, 40" base, 35 feet long 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Logger didnt want it because it was spalted :o :o :o :o

I WANT IT!

Found another one almost as big and marked it for loading. 
Scored a Red Elm that was about 20 foot long and 20" DIB and several Oaks in the 20" range and about 98 feet long.  The best score of all?  A GIANT PILE OF CROTCHES!  CHERRY< WALNUT< OAK<MAPLE  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

More to tell but got to get some rest.  5 am comes early and we will be on the way to the shoot out! 

Larry

I used to be perfectly happy sawing osage orange and selling it for $10/bf. ;)  Now Kirk finds out the big money is in the sawdust. :o

Well, I've invented a patent pending sawdust catcher (coffee can) to hang from the sawdust chute so my dust doesn't get dirty on the ground. ;D  I get a can full every flitch.  Got a bag full on the first log.  23 more logs to go.

Got a couple questions Kirk.  Should I be sawing for grade or...sawdust? :D :D  If the Missouri Osage Orange franchise is still available I might be interested in buying it from you. ;D ;D

I'm gonna be a zillionaire boys...thanks to Kirk. 8) 8)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Kirk_Allen

30 Gallon shop vac with a hose extension works great.  Catches ALL the sawdust and you dont have to mess with emptying the can every pass.  Buckets work but nothing as well as the shop vac!

Wife sold several $6.00 bags of sawdust at the farmers market this weekend and also sold 4 Walnut cirlces from a branch I cut off.  They were about 16" diameter and she sold them from $5-$8 bucks a peice.  Those same peices would have been burned last summer!  NOT ANY MORE!

Saw for grade on the OSAGE but as you know, you get very little quality wood, depending on the market.  One of my buyers uses it for laminates and only needs 18" clear peices so he is tickled pink. 

Thank You Sponsors!