iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Expensive sawdust

Started by wiam, January 19, 2005, 05:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wiam

Check this out $18/5lb for hickory sawdust, but I don't have any hickory.

http://www.askthemeatman.com/how_to_make_smoker_art_updated_9300.htm

Will

Tom

That thing reads like a Ron Popeil advertisement (RONCO)

Not bad money for a hickory sawdust. :D

At those prices, the smoking company might just be a front. :D :D

DanG

I dunno what sort of a cook he is, but he sho' knows how ta make money. :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

etat

DANG!  I just know that was a gonna be my next money making idea.   I KNEW there had to be other ways to market sawdust and get rich.  That does give me confidence in my MUD selling ventures I'm developing though!

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

WH_Conley

I think have shoved a fortune or two on the slab pile and burnt it.
Common CK, let's get diversified in a hurry, you got the mud, I got the sawdust.
Bill

pappy

Wouldn't mud and sawdust make good house building stuff,lawn figurines,and I betcha ya could sell the secret  form u la  to China and they'd make furniture with the stuff.  It's gotta be better than the so called "like wood" stuff they use now.

I got enough sawdust to  ::)

but I like the plans  8)

"How to Make A Barrel Smokehouse at Home".

Gonna try smokin' some salmon next summer.

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Cedarman

I'm not gonna brag here, no that's not right at all, I am gonna brag here.  We sell about 20000 pounds of dried, screened sawdust each month for a kitty litter product.  The company found us on the internet a few years ago and wanted to know if I wanted to sell my cedar sawdust. We talked price and I just knew I could tear up the mortgage paper.  In the long run we got it all figured out and I do make a nice profit for our efforts and all those little kittys out there have an aromatic  box. It truly is amazing can be sold.  I'm still holding my mortgage paper though.
I can walk in any Target store and find a little a little bit of our effort there.  It is a nice feeling.
If I can get my self esteem high enough, I might talk about some of my not so bragging moments.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

rebocardo

Tomorrow I am going to go out to my hickory firewood pile and put the sawdust on E-Bay, with free S&H! The sawdust is worth more then the wood  :D

Kirk_Allen

I cant wait 8) 8)

I have just shy of 8,000 BF of Hickory to cut.  I am going to save every last bit of saw dust...............then I am going to save every last bit of planer chips.......................then I am going to capture the dust from the sander used to finish the Hickory...............then I'm going to MAKE A FORTUNE!

I will keep track of weight and volume from the mill to better estimate the value but as far as the boards go, as best as I can tell, I can shave off 1/8 inch from a board on the planer and it makes about 4 large bags of wood chips.  So a 1"x6"x 8' board that has 1/8 inch planed off means you have about 1/2 of a BF of chips.  If it fills 4 large ziplocks at !0.00 a bag then that works out to $20.00 BF

I have about 8000 BF to cut so If I follow this plan, I could plane down to 3/16ths of an inch on my planer which means I would have planed 81% of the wood into chips, or 6,480 BF @ $20.00 per BF that works out to $129,600.................for planer chips of hickory.  OK, I smoke a box of blades ($300.00) on the mill, waist two motors ($600) on the planer...........Im still way ahead and I havent even added the 3 or 4 pickup truck loads of sawdust from the mill. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8).  

SOMEONE PLEASE REVIEW MY MATH AND TELL ME I DIDNT MISS SOMEHTING................PLEASE?

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Thats what I call VALUE ADDED!  I think I am going to have to regroup and establish a whole new business plan.   ;D

WH_Conley

At that kinda money I'd get that last 3/16th in there to. I'm greedy.
Bill

Cedarman

I'm wondering, just thinking,toying with the idea, hmmmm....
Get a bag of these hickory shavings and sawdust and show up at the gentleman down the road that does the barbecue. I believe I'd trade about 3 pounds of the worlds fineset hickory shavings for a pound of the worlds finest barbecued ribs. 3 to 1 sounds like a heck of a trade.  

They make a machine called a granulator that will take that last 3/16 and make a nice pea size chip.

Kirk_Allen

I put a 12 foot hickory log on the mill today for a small experiment.

Are you all sitting down? 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

You see, I strapped a large ziplock bag onto the sawdust shoot and would you believe that in just one pass on a 12 foot 14" log I filled that there little bag.  8) 8) 8) 8)

You see, the way I have it figured, that little bag filled in one pass makes every pass worth 10 bucks. Now I just have to figure how many passes I can make in a day.  

Im getting excited.  Sure wish it would warm up a bit though.

DR Buck

DanG!   >:(  I just spread 500 lbs or $1800 worth of hickory sawdust on the ground to cover up the mud!  :D :D :D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

WH_Conley

Wonder how many bags ya could get sawing min thickness, say 3/16 at a pass? If you had any visitors about that time I'm sure they would think you needed a reservation at the Happy Hill Funny Farm.

Don't worry, all of us greedy types would vouch for ya. :D
Bill

Cedarman

That's it.  I'm callin' the barbecue outfit. Just cause I saw cedar today don't mean I can't saw hickory tomorrow.  Got several trees need to come down anyway. :D :D :D

Kirk_Allen

I think the best way to fill the bags is from the planer chips.  The mill seems to be to efficient at making fine dust, thus a bag weighs a lot more.  If it weighs more it will cost more to ship it, thus less profits.

I am going to devote a couple hours a week to this new business venture and see what happens on a local scale.  I will keep you posted. 

For the record, I did sell my first bag of chips today! ;D

wiam

Kirk,  do I get a cut for pointing this out?

Dangerous_Dan

What about all the blade lube that gets mixed with the sawdust? :o
How does that effect the flavor and your health?  ::)
I noticed on eBay the sawdust that was for sale was USDA approved. How do you get that approval?
What about just chipping the brush and slabs ? It's worthless otherwise and would contain no blade lube or other things you don't want to cook on.
I'm not sure if it's true but someone told me that the bark of the tree makes the best flavor. Can anyone verify this? Slabs and brush have alot of bark.
When I was a kid my father would get a bag of hickory chips at the grocery store, soak them in water and throw them on the fire while cooking.  ;)
::)

First you make it work, then you trick it out!

Kirk_Allen

Here we go.  I am going to have to look into this USDA approved claim.  NEVER BELIEVE IT until you check the facts. The Good LORD knows we have had false claims before.

I think the planer chips is the way to go.  As far as lube from the mill, I would just run water if cutting hickory.  That way nothing gets added to the chips.

Kirk_Allen

I checked out the site breifly but could not find a USDA aproved cliam.  Where abouts did you see it at?

Dangerous_Dan

I searched "hickory sawdust" under "all catagories".
Try item #3847769166 ;)

Kirk_Allen

Got a link you can point us to?

Dangerous_Dan

Furby

There really is no mention of what USDA is reffering to. ::)

Dangerous_Dan

Your right it just says "USDA APPROVED".
They don't say what the approval criteria is. I just saw that they were advertising it as USDA APPROVED.
I don't know what makes it approved. That's what we need to find out.
More hickory for sale on eBay:-These guys don't mention the USDA.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10035&item=4346188693&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20725&item=4328748632&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

Thank You Sponsors!