iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

homemade log loader plans wanted

Started by music_boy, January 19, 2005, 02:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

music_boy

Stumbled on to a 5 ton equipment trailer for sale. Looked good and the owner put new brakes on it and put it through inspection,  1996 and a little rusty, but come spring, I'll make it all one color. :D :D :D
I stumbled onto an old ford tractor with a front end loader on it. It might fit, with some help, on my 2444 International Harvester  I stumbled onto last year. If it doesn't, and I might anyway, rig up a small log loader for the trailer. Seems the arms on that loader could be re-configured. Any you all done something like this and can share the ideas and\\or plans? :P I'd plan on it's own pump and motor to run the hydros.
Thanks
Rick
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

DanG

Don't worry about painting that trailer, Mboy. Give it a little time and it'll be all one color, right by itself. ;D  Congrats on your recent finds. :)

What sort of Ford tractor is it?  Is fixing up the Ford and selling the Int. an option?  If not, all you gotta worry about is if the loader is big enough for your present tractor. That, and your own fabrication skills. If you have to fab up the mountings for it, build in lots of strength. You don't want to risk any structural failure on a loader. It can kill your tractor, and worse yet, YOU!

As far as adapting the loader to the trailer, I don't have any bright ideas, right off the top of my slick head.  Best I can come up with is to use parts of it to build a loader like they use on bandmills. That concept seems like a good option if you're going with hydraulics.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

music_boy

The Ford is a 19?? 5000 gas. No chance of rehabing it economically. That's the reason it is available. I like that idea of loading arms. Make those outa most any cylinders. Maybe I should focus on making that loader work on the international. I haven't had a chance to take a good look at how that loader mounts up. I think it u bolts on to the rear axle then up the frame.
Thanks
Rick
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

WV_hillbilly

Rick

What size old Ford was the loader on    ?  I got a 72  Ford 3000 that I want to put a loader on . If it doesn't fit your tractor and you want to get rid of it let me know .
Hillbilly

Frank_Pender

Rick , I am looking for the same set of plans.  :-/ If I find them first I will share them with you asnd everyone else here on the forum. 8) 8) 8)
Frank Pender

Ga_Boy

Rick,

Check out this weeks Pennysaver; page 12.  There is a front end loader with a 5' bucket; for sale that fits "300, 350 and 400 International farm tractor.

We still on for Friday?

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Slabs

MB
Many years ago(in my alleged youth) I witnessed logs being loaded onto an old truck with mules.  The apparattus was quite simple, it consisted of a couple of stout poles as ramps to pull the logs up the truck bed level and some light-duty chains fastened to the truck bolsters, passed under the log at the bottom of the ramps and then over the log to the opposite side of the truck where the mule team was backed up so that the apex of the chains could be fastened to the mule double-tree.  A gentle giddyup and the mules winched the log up the ramp onto the truck bed.

I'm suggesting that this could be done with a  small windlass affair instead of mule-power especially since most of the trailers we peckerwoods use are probably quite low and the building-supply store 1/8" cable should be adequate to replace the old log-chains.

If you're interested in the concept, I'll be glad to gin up a schetch, scan it and pass it along.

Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

music_boy

I think I understand the setup. I'd still like to see it. It sounds like a similar idea I've been thinkin about. Could be better.
Thanks
Rick

Dan_Shade

Greeting from another Southern Marylander....

if I ever get that far in my logging/sawmilling adventures, I'll get one of these:
LINK
(articulating/knuckleboom crane) and fashion up a grapple of sorts.

rig up some outriggers, and you can probably put it on the front of your trailer.

Slabs, coudl the mules load higher than one level of logs with your method?  I think I know what you are talking about, but i'm somewhat lost in the translation.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Slabs

The loadability depends entirely upon the level of the attachment on the bolster poles.  As long as the chains were attached above the last log loaded(or at least the log against the bolsters) logs could continue to be loaded.  I forgot to mention that the greater the angle of the ramps-the more effort required to raise the log.  Also lazy(but affluent) folks could substitute a Superwinch for the hand windlass but the simplicity would be out the window.  My idea-from the junkpile out-was to be cheap and simple.  I invite modifications and ammendments.  It's a great forum.  Lets enjoy it to the fullest.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Buzz-sawyer

A FRIEND OF MINE STILL LOADS LOGS LIKE THAT IN lOUISIANA
He had a reallt stubborn kicking , and mean mule that he decided to teach a lesson so he used his jerk action pulp wood loader to pulll him up in the air to straighten that mean dude out....well the mule launched straight up 10 feet and broke his neck!!!!!!
 :o :o :o :o :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Dangerous_Dan

I got this from a guy just for removing it from his truck.  With a few mods to the arm it could be a little crane. Thought about mounting it to a truck or trailer to load logs but havn't done anything yet. Any thoughts or experience with one of these?

First you make it work, then you trick it out!

Furby

Yep, they have a very low weight rating!
That being said............I'd give it a try! ;D

woodhick

Dan I agree with furby on the manlift, very low weight rating. Most are rated at 500# or less.   If you try to use it be very careful!  Try searching around local power line contractors in your area.  Most of them have some old trucks setting around with digger/dericks on them that they may sell.  A guy close to me had about 12-15 trucks setting around till last year and the epa made him get rid of them.  Sold them real cheap!!.  Just wish I had more spare cash at the time, because several went to scrap yard.  I did buy a RO stinger crane for a truck off of him for $1,000 8) 8), mounted it on a IH truck that I bartered for.  Now the insurance prices I'm getting are scaring me! Does it ever end? :-/
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Buzz-sawyer

Dan
If it is steel youy may do some good.
We have used them to load several thousand pounds  (just using the lower section of the boom).... your attachment point will need to be shortened up closer to the base....real issue is beams strength and hydraulic components power ;) :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Dangerous_Dan

I would remove the bucket and the long fiberglass arm. Use some box tubing to make a new section that attaches where the fiberglass arm pivoted from and move the cylinder to the bottom of the main arm for more lifting power on the homemade arm. Set up like this I think it could load some good sized logs and be worth the work to make it happen. If it could pick up 1000 pounds I'd be happy. I think it could lift more set up right.
First you make it work, then you trick it out!

DanG

Hey Slabs!  Welcome aboard. Wherebouts in the Fl Panhandle are you?  Might be right around the corner from me. ;D

The method you describe is called "parbuckling."  It is very simple and effective, and you can load more than one layer that way.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

DanG

I know where that is, 'bout a hunnerd mile or so.  We'll have to get together and swap some lies. If yer comin' east, allow a little extra time to stop by. ;D

Slabs

Hey there DanG

Haven't heard of parbuckling before but I know parboilin.  Do that when cookin coon.

I've been trying to post some drawings and pictures of my simple loader but the pic files are too big or the site just won't take it.  If anyone wants to see them contact me directly. dfouts@cyou.com

Slabs

Furby

Slabs, try the free download from xat.com to get your pics down to size.

edsaws

Thanks Slabs, thats basicly how I plan to load my mill except with a winch instead of the crank.

1953greg

i use a f-250 pu and 16' utility trailer w/ front mounted 4 ton winch. i fabricated a quad pod out of 2" square tubing that attaches to rear of trailer that supports a pully bout 5' above trailer floor. when loading a big log (>30") i back trailer to big end of log, run cable through pully and attach to log bout 1' from near end then detach truck and begin winching.  trailer will rear up til tail hits ground then log and trailer will come together then log wil raise onto trailer a few inches.  then remove quad pod (while trailer is reared up) and reattach cable to log, with block, a couple times to bring log farther onto trailer. as log is winched/loaded trailer will come down slowly. better have trailer chucked!  works really easy, kinda like a rollback wrecker.  i can haul up to a single 36" 17' log. thats about 5000lbs and thats all i need.  if multiple smaller logs are being loaded then trailer remains attached to truck and a couple of blocks are inserted under rear corners of trailer and log is hoisted onto trailer.  once near end of log is supported (by trailer floor or other logs) then remove quad pod and winch log onto trailer.  for unloading i use a small 4wd tractor w/ front end loader if i can lift them, if not i just drag them off.  not much for production but for a hobbist/weekend warrior works great.    1953greg
good day    greg

hilltop

This is what i use JD450C to load logs, lift shingles on roof,raise cars & trucks, pull engines or just whatever i made it from junk took about an hour and $20.00 in material

Thank You Sponsors!