iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Interesting Figured Oak, Questions ???

Started by DanK, January 19, 2005, 07:07:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanK

:)This weekend an area sawmill friend asked me to look at some interesting Oak boards he recently cut and dried.  He apparently sawed two logs from a Saginaw area yard tree (including several bullet holes). He indicated this was Red Oak based on the bark.  The grain is very nice and should produce some interesting projects.  What is unusual and causing the nicely figured appearance seems to be because the growth rings are all wavy.

So the Questions are;  What is it?  What has caused it?  How often is this seen in Oak or even other species?  And what about value per Bd ft?

Of course I've borrowed a board for study.  He doesn't really expect to get it back and I plan to use some of it in the crest of Windsor comb back chairs I'm planning. ( another story or question for later )

Appreciate any information or good reference related to figured wood.  Thanks in advance.
Dan Keane

Jeff

Welcome to the forum Dan!  Here is a pretty good article on the Auburn University website about the causes of figure.

http://www.ag.auburn.edu/aaes/communications/bulletins/figureinwood/

As for value, figure is a special market thing, if you can find the right person looking for what you have, the price could really get up there. We have a member here that deals in figured lumber, Curlywoods, he might be able to give you some ideas, perhaps not on the value of this particular lumber, but maybe some in site on how figured lumber is valued.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Curlywoods

Hi Dan,

As Jeff stated already, figured woods are unique and can offer the seller a better than average return if it were not figured.  We specialize in highly figured North American figured woods and would be happy to assit you in any way possible.

The degree of the figure content, along with the normal aesthetic values that are used to grade lumber, will determine just how special any boards are and their ultimate value, given you have people that are interested and want this type of lumber.  If you can send me a digital photo, or post it to this forum, I would be happy to tell you what I think that they are worth to you.

If you have a venue to sell these types of woods (web site, EBay, etc.) and don't mind putting a little effort into marketing,  you can normally realize a very fair return for your time and efforts.  It all boils down to exposing the wood to as many potential clients as possible, that are searching for this type of wood.  

As in anything in life, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and figured woods are definitely in this category.  
All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

Tom

Welcome to the Forum DanK.  It's great to have another who is interested in the subtleties of the inside of a tree.  Lots of folks here like that.

I live in the edge of Dank and Dark swamp  :D  where trees grow in all configurations.  I see curly wood and all manner of crotches.  It's not too many that have been able to tell me "why" the stuff exists.  Once a year or so somebody comes up with a good explanation of something and I stick it back in my head, usually to wander around lost forever.  ;D

That website that Jeff listed seems to be a good one.  I'm going to do some hard reading tonight, I can see.

Welcome, again, to the Forum and I look forward to your getting deeply involved.  We can't stand all of this fun all by ourselves.  It needs to be spread out a little. :D

OneWithWood

Welcome, DanK.  Pull up a chair and join in on the fun!  I can see right away that you will be a great addition to this forum.  Why I can even forsee your handle being put to many uses.  Just ask DanG. :D :D :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Ironwood

Well, I look for unique wood anywhere I can find it. I haven't checked out the web site Jeff reccommended yet but I have noticed several variations. All trees can have localized curl as in compression areas around bends and curves and branches. Then there are the one's which I consider genetic curling trees. These are curled throughout and that usually includes small branches and all. I have purchased several continously  burl logs, one from L.A.(Carolina Cherry) and another locally (Hard Maple). They unique part about the burled trees is that typically the bark inclusions and voids alllow water inside and then rot occurs. Both of these were solid and exceptional. I travel around to log yards and tree trimmers piles looking for the gems of genetic curl. Popping the bark on maples make the figure within obvious. Cherry and walnut are much more elusive in disclosing their figure, many times needing to be cut before the subtle waves are seen. I have a lot of fun searching and it takes alot of time,(money) to find them. Good curl is worth every dollar that the suppliers charge for it as it take much effort and teaching of their sawyer to find what they want and then cut it the way their market requires. I prefer flitch edge slabs and have them milled to my specs. I end up playing the law of averages and usually end up ahead sourcing everything myself, but it's no small task. I'm learning something new everyday! :P

Have fun,be safe Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!