iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

090 vs 084av

Started by 1953greg, January 17, 2005, 07:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1953greg

been using an 066 and am looking to step up.  everything else being equal, which is best for milling w/ 42" bar 090 or 084av.  why?   thanks  1953greg
good day    greg

Ianab

I'd vote for the 090, although the hp figures will be about the same the 090 has more torque at lower revs, and thats what you need for milling. I have an 090 on my old Peterson mill, it's a great saw if you dont have to actually carry it around  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

footer

I have an 084av and it is a great saw. Can't speak for the 090. I have a 60" bar and have ripped a 48" red oak and had plenty of power for that.

Ianab

Actually either of those saws is going to do the job, and so would an 088 or a Husky 3120. It probably comes down to what you come across when you go looking, price / condition wise.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

woodbeard

I have the 090, and the main problems I have with it are its age ( 30yrs ) and parts availability/price. For the price of an older 090, you can likely get a newer 084. The 084 revs considerably higher, for more chain speed. Also I think the 084 has the chain tensioning screw on the side, rather than in the front, is lighter, and has fuel/oil caps on the same side ( up when milling )
Maybe just a case of the grass being greener, but I often wish I had gotten an 084. On the other hand, the 090 is an impressive beast that will pull a chain thru almost anything. ;D

sawmillsi

Hi Greg,

I have a range of STIHL saws we use every day (unfortunatly most weekends included). They include the MS660 (was 066 Magnum) and the 088 Magnum.

In the past 26 odd years we have also had 090's and many others. We have also had Husky 394xp's.

For big, heavy duty jobs we will only every use Stihls (on almost all our jobs I use 48" and 72" bars).

The 090 have not been available in Australia for about 12-18 years and the 084 (replaced the 090) was replaced by the 088 about 6 years ago.

The biggest question is what will you do with it?

I agree with Ian that the 090 is a great saw for the Peterson mill due to the low revving, higher tourque, compared with the higher revving engines available today (higher revs mean different frequency vibrations, meaning less white knuckle). But the 090 is old technology and a pig of a saw to start and to maintain.

I like the 088, but it lacks the extra oil button the 084 had (roughly doubling the oil flow for big bars and dry cutting).

Simon

sawmillsi

I forgot to say that if you are milling (slabbing) go the biggest power head you can carry and use a drive sprocket with the least number of teeth adn modify the chain so the top plate has a real low angle and only use a skip or extended skip tooth pattern.

Si

Thank You Sponsors!