iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

NEW FIRE TRUCK

Started by wiam, January 15, 2005, 07:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BW_Williams

CAFS = compressed air foam system
NAFS = normally aspairatted foam system
Will, we have one of the best(in my non-biased opinion) NAFS nozzle manufactures right here on the old FF.  Sent Kirk Allen a PM and see if'n he would loan ya'll one of his first strikes for a demo.  BWW
PS maybe we ought to ask Jeff for a Fire catagory!
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

Don_Papenburg

So how does CAFS work ? I am guessing that the normal asp foam gets the foam agent sucked into the water stream via a ventura in the water stream.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

BW_Williams

CAFS has an air compressor to add air at the pump, your correct about NAFS, there are several different ways to do it, one is an eductor at the pump that uses a venturi to siphon the foam in, another is an eductor the goes on the end of the hoseline.  As with anything related to firefighting, CAFS is very expensive, I believe our slip in unit was around $70K.  
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

Kirk_Allen

Wiam, Congrats on the new Rig.  

Give the folks down in Norwich a call and ask them about their nozzles.  They have been using Vindicators for several years now and can fill you in with an non-biased opinion ;D

By the way, our nozzles are the ONLY nozzle currently recieving Dual ISO credit, as a playpipe and a foam nozzle ;)  You can download the documents from our web site. http://www.1ststriketech.com/Testimony.htm

OK, no more sales pitch ;)

wiam

On our new truck we have a Foampro 1600.  This is connected to two handlines.  This system uses a high pressure electric pump to put class A foam on the pressure side of the fire pump.  We got quotes of $12k to $30K to have CAFS built into a truck.

Kirk, is there some way to try these nozzles in house??

Will

theonlybull

nice looking truck ( other then the color   :D )
our "new truck" is now 6 years old.... and it's been the biggest lemon around.....   i don't have time to type all the problems, but i can tell ya, we'll never have another frieghtliner/cummin's combo again......

those IH's make nice lookin fire trucks. the next department down from us as one,  nice working/lookin truck.

enjoy the truck and the new hall....   some of us can only dream  ::)
Keith Berry & Son Ltd.
machine work and welding

FiremanEd

Nice ride Wiam.

You'll like the E-One, they build nice engines. I think you'll like the chassis, we have 5 tankers on older International chassis and never had a minutes trouble with any of them that I know of. Congrats and enjoy!!!  

On Kirk's vindicators, WOW. Kirk came down and met with some of our guys, gave a couple demo's and we bought something in the area of 20 of them. Anyway, as a company officer it's the 1st nozzle off  my engine on anything more than debris. (And I was/am a big TFT fan) Great nozzle Kirk.

Congrats again Wiam.
Full time Firefighter / Paramedic
WoodMizer LT300 as secondary, full time job.
AccuTrac Electric Edger

Kevin_H.

This is our newest, a 2004 peterbuilt with a 2650gal tank and a 1000 gpm midship pump.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Captain

We've got one coming....$435,000 of E-One Typhoon Class Rescue Pumper.  Going to be behind delivery due to the hurricane season in Florida .

Hey Jon/Wiam, has American Rural Fire Equipment in Williamstown VT changed their name?  VTec or something??

Captain

wiam

Captain yes they are now VTEC.  They do a lot of poly bodies on their trucks.  Have heard of financial problems when building trucks.  Same on hurricanes with ours. We were sopposed to have it the end of November.

Kevin_H. nice looking truck other than the color :D

I like the looks of the Vindicator.  We have mostly TFTs but we have not purchased nozzles for the new truck yet and hope to try some others before buying.

Captain

When I was in Barre Town, we bought the first piece that American Rural Fire Equipment made in 1993, a Freightliner FL80 with a 1500GPM Darley and Hale FoamPro.  It had a 750 gallon tank.  What a difference from our front line 1974 International Loadstar at the time.

Captain

Tom Vorac

Howdy,
Can go a little off topic and ask a question for the group?  Does anyone have any experience with slip on fire units for pickup trucks?  I am looking for plans to do a home made unit and would appreciate any help or advise.
Thanks
Tom V

timberfaller390

L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Ron Scott

Tom Vorac,

Are you near a US Forest Service Ranger Station on State DNR Fire Station? They are well familiar with and use pick up slip on pumper units.   
~Ron

Captain

Tom, are you referring to a "skid load" with a tank and pump, often a hose reel, for wildland firefighting?  If that is the case, then YES.

Captain

timberfaller390

Quote from: Tom Vorac on February 12, 2010, 02:07:40 PM
Howdy,
Can go a little off topic and ask a question for the group?  Does anyone have any experience with slip on fire units for pickup trucks?  I am looking for plans to do a home made unit and would appreciate any help or advise.
Thanks
Tom V
Yes I have put in my fair share of time on a type 6 engine. I built a couple while I was still working for the forestry commission so whatcha want to know.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Tom Vorac

What I am looking for is advise or where to find plans etc on how to build a slip on unit for a pickup truck.  I want to build a 250 gal tank with pump or get enough information to figure out if we would be better off buying a off the shelf unit.
So any advise would be welcome.
Thanks
Tom V

timberfaller390

It's not hard to design and build a skid unit however if you don't have acess to a mig or preferably a tig weldor and someone who is good with aluminum then you are better off getting one from Darley or National Fire. The unit we built for a pickup was about the simplest rig you could think of. It was just a square tank with a platform to mount the pump and hose reel. What size truck is this going on? 250 gallons of water weighs approx one ton not counting the skid unit itself so it won't work on a half ton truck. (we replaced the front end on our f-150 twice because of hauling a skid unit all the time)
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

isawlogs

Just thinking outload here .. Could a person use a fuel oil/desiel tank and use a gas pump and build one from that ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

pineywoods

Quote from: isawlogs on February 15, 2010, 09:17:23 PM

Just thinking outload here .. Could a person use a fuel oil/desiel tank and use a gas pump and build one from that ???

Rust, rust and more rust, pinholes...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Don_Papenburg

I think you are asking  if a gas POWERED pump  would work .  I would say yes .  But If you mean a gaspump , No It would not have enough volume.

A poly tank would be the most costeffective.

A couple of Qs     
What is the air pressure used on  the CAFS setup ?
How many cfm?

What do you use as a foaming agent?
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

timberfaller390

The minimum requirements for a type 6 engine are 200 gallon tank, 50 gpm pump,300 feet of 1 1/2" hose and 300 feet of 1" hose. A foam system is not required. The foaming agent is called AFFF or aquious film forming foam and can be poured directly into the tank. It is slightly corrosive so the tank and hoses have to be flushed after use. The guy who originally asked about a skid unit hasn't posted anymore so I don't know if this will be for a department or for personal use. If it is for a department the minimum requirements I listed MUST be met. The most common material for the tank is aluminum but thier are some poly tanks out there. A factory built skid unit ranges from $5,000 to about $20,000 or more, depending on how fancy you want to get.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

isawlogs

Gas powered pump .. a 1000liter square plastic tank a wack of hose .. fittings to put it all together .  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!