The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Black Walnut Logs  (Read 2041 times)

Offline moodnacreek

• I'm new!
Re: Black Walnut Logs
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2018, 09:16:37 PM »
W. V.  Just finished sawing and stacking 4 m of black walnut that's been here since April. The most deterioration was on the top [of pile] logs. The ones in the mud where the best. I do like to put fire wood logs on runners.  When I started in 1980 I put saw logs off the ground like people say but I learned and share it here when I get tired.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2018, 10:08:05 PM »
   As I mentioned earlier I do not always worry about stacking high durability logs which includes WO, Locust and Black walnut off the ground.

I do not recommend anyone storing softwoods (Pine, spruce, etc) or soft hardwoods (Poplar, maple, etc ) and even red oak or other hardwoods that are more susceptible to rot and insect damage directly on the ground.

If you walk through the woods and find one of these less durable trees on the ground that has been there a while there is a good chance it is soft, punky and worthless while a few feet away the same species of tree that fell in such a manner it is off the ground due to a big root ball, fell across a drainage or across another tree there is a good likelihood  the wood will be solid and fit to saw. Just take a stroll through the woods and see if that does not hold true in New York as it does in WV.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • My timberframe blog
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2018, 11:49:25 PM »
To me, getting them off the ground is a waste of time as it only dries them quicker and warms them.  Green logs are the opposite of lumber that must be off the ground.

Any logs I've ever had on the ground collect moisture on the bottom and left too long will start to rot.  We're talking about grass or dirt or gravel.  I have a large concrete pad that I put logs on that is well drained (water never sits on it), in the sun, and exposed to wind.  i don't have that issue on that pad.  But on grass or dirt especially, moisture will wick onto the log, or collect from rain - it will never dry out. 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2018, 09:47:58 AM »
Brad,

X2 in my experience.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"