The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Hydraulic oil  (Read 1326 times)

Offline Southside logger

• Senior Member x2
  • Logging so I can afford to farm.
Re: Hydraulic oil
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2017, 10:15:00 PM »
ya I have seen cylinders bend the ram from to thick on oil in say 30 below weather , the relief valve does not always work  8)

I don't know about these days but 20 years ago it was common in the dead of winter to leave equipment running all weekend when it was -40F or colder.  Would drive by a loader and the bucket was slowly turning circles with nobody in sight just to keep the oil and everything else warm and alive.  Stuff breaks when you let it get that cold and you try to start it up Monday morning. 
'92 Franklin 170 grapple skidder
'92 Franklin 5000 wheeled buncher
Wicked Awesome Basset Hound * 2
JD 490D with 4 roller FabTek processer / hydraulic hose breaker
Hot wife
Wood Mizer LT35HDG25, Re-saw attachment
Official Member of the BBFC

Offline deastman

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2017, 02:15:18 PM »
I run Castrol high viscosity dual range 46 in my processor so I can run it year round. I used to run 303 but it took too long to warm up in really cold weather. The Castrol works great in cold weather, warms up real quick and is dyed purple for leak detection. Costs about double regular hydraulic oil but it's high viscosity and I can run it year round without changing it out
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

Offline Skeans1

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2017, 02:48:52 PM »
What do you guys do for bar oil in that cold below 0 weather?

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2017, 03:30:25 PM »
Run winter grade bar oil. Flows ok when it gets cold. 

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2017, 03:40:57 PM »
I run #28 year around in the mill Hydraulics and I use winter bar oil in the chain saws.

BUT I dont saw below about -10*C either.
If you ain't livin on the edge you are takin up way to much room. Of course at my age if I get too close to that edge any more theres a good chance I may fall off.
2001 Dodge 1500 4x4.
2007 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 almost Super
2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built my self

Offline Ken

• Forester
  • Forester
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2017, 03:45:42 PM »
The hydraulic in my harvester is 10-30 motor oil.  It's certainly a bit thicker in the winter but haven't had any issues.  Use summer grade chain oil in the summer and winter grade in the winter.  The forwarder has regular hydraulic.  Use pails of 32 in the summer and 68 in the winter. 

We only have a few days in the winter when it gets really cold (-30C).  It saves me money to pay the guys to stay home those days. 

Lots of toys for working in the bush

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2017, 04:37:43 PM »
We never fully changed the oil in either machine we just started adding the thinner weight oil in the fall as we needed. Since the machines I ran were 20k plus hour old girls they tended to drip, leak, and blow oil from time to time. So by the time the cold weather hit in January and February a majority was the 32 weight.

Last year I started running 0W-40 engine oil in my tractors for winter and it really improved cold weather starts and made the motors sound much happier at -30.

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2017, 05:06:45 PM »
I run iso  chevron 100w rock drill oil for bar oil winter and summer I got a great deal on a pallet of it 1.00 a gal 8)  the stuff looks like water its so clear  but doesn't seem to get thick in the cold but it turns a milk color below 0 anyone know why 

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2017, 07:23:02 PM »
Dose castrol make there oil or do they buy it? I went on the Irving oil refinery tour last year.there wss thousands on cases of Castro that Irving blended for them. I buy mine direct from them.

Offline deastman

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2017, 05:42:03 PM »
Dose castrol make there oil or do they buy it? I went on the Irving oil refinery tour last year.there wss thousands on cases of Castro that Irving blended for them. I buy mine direct from them.
Dysarts makes up 5 gal. pails of the Castrol for me, not sure where they get it from, I'll ask next time I'm in to get some
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

Online mike_belben

• Pulp Friction
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2017, 06:54:18 PM »

I don't know about these days but 20 years ago it was common in the dead of winter to leave equipment running all weekend when it was -40F or colder.  Would drive by a loader and the bucket was slowly turning circles with nobody in sight just to keep the oil and everything else warm and alive.  Stuff breaks when you let it get that cold and you try to start it up Monday morning.

Yeah all those no idle states dont even know why their cost of goods is getting inflated to death.  Try starting a stone cold 14L tractor at the truckstop next day.  Or living in one for that matter.  No one wants to haul into northeast unless its good $$. 

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2017, 08:18:57 PM »
Some time ago I was involved in 42 miles of a 20" high pressure natural gas pipeline in Northern Ohio .It was unusually cold for Ohio ,several weeks on end the temp was never above 10 below zero often hitting 20-25 below in the night time .During that time the pipeline contractor never shut off  those giant side boom tractors,the size of a D8 or the Cat  245 excavators off .They ran 7 and 24 .They even tarped the radiators at night to keep the engine temp up .Coldest winter I ever spent in my life .

Online mike_belben

• Pulp Friction
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2017, 01:48:01 AM »
Im just not man enough for that kinda cold.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2017, 04:07:59 PM »
That was half a life time ago for me .The coldest I get any more is walking from the parking lot into the shop .No problem there with the hydraulic oil . :)

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2017, 04:55:28 PM »
come on put on your big boy pants  :D :D :D

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • ehpsaws.com
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2017, 05:39:36 PM »
0 to 20 below is pretty much perfect logging weather , anything below 40 below I stay inside

Offline Timbercruiser

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2017, 05:52:09 PM »
The previous owner ran ATF in my 1978 TJ 230. Not sure how common that is? Anyone use ATF? I guess 32 would be cheaper. I do have a few leaks and you know how much you are losing with the red ATF on the snow  :D Mountain.

Lots of people up here in Canada use ATF year round . I use it in my 230 year round

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2017, 08:20:50 PM »
So what the going price go a 5 gal. Pail of 46? Not asking about the cheap no name brand . Good quality oil. From what I have seen most stores mark it up $10 to 15 from what they pay for it.