The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Processing reclaimed hardwood railway sleepers  (Read 679 times)

Offline Simon Challis

• I'm new!
Processing reclaimed hardwood railway sleepers
« on: November 28, 2017, 12:09:27 PM »
Hi there, My first time on the site and Iím after advice on saws and chains for processing reclaimed railway sleepers. We have a small farm in the Uk and We process loads of 80 Jarah hardwood sleepers at a time for firewood, we process upto 5 loads per year. These timbers are used so well seasoned and as tough as concrete, they come from UK and European railways and often contain small compacted stones. Obviously we try to avoid hitting these but you canít always see them. We currently run a Stihl ms260 with 16Ē bar running rapid Duro 3. Iím looking to upgrade the saw to something with more power and am looking for any advice. Iíve been considering a stihl ms461 and Iíve been told that you can reduce bar size so that it cuts quicker. Is this true and does it make the saw more dangerous? Many thanks simon

Offline DelawhereJoe

• Trapped in Delawhere
Re: Processing reclaimed hardwood railway sleepers
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 02:39:43 PM »
Your 260 will use the same bar mount at the 461, even the 660/661 still use the same 3003 bar mount. I have an old 024, 026 and 041 and they all use the same bar mount as the new saws. So all of your bars for your 260 will fit the new saws you just have to make sure your drive sprocket is the same pitch as the bar you want to run. You can get a .325x9 rim sprocket for the ms 362, 461 and 661. I also really hope the railroad ties/sleepers you are burning are un-treated.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Offline Simon Challis

• I'm new!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 04:08:13 AM »
Hi, Many thanks for the info... and yes they are untreated Jarah... really beautiful redwood.... we save what we can.. thanks again

Offline 630red

• I'm new!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 04:37:15 PM »
welcome Simon,we had a lads come to our shop for chains and sharpens a few years ago they were cutting really old sleepers treated with tar they were in every half hour, chains were a mess and when they stopped for lunch went back to work the chains wouldnt move because the tar had cooled on the bar and chain very expensive job thats why all the local guys turned that job down :o

Offline skipster

• I'm new!
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 05:42:55 AM »
one thing to be aware of when dealing with old railway sleepers is the decades of heavy duty weedkiller that has been sprayed along the track. Not sure what they do in the UK,but out here in Australia,every few months,a poison train would spray the tracks in rural areas,soaking the sleepers in God knows what. I would wear a mask when cutting.

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
  • "Been there, done that........and still learning"
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 10:23:25 AM »
I would wear a mask when cutting.
Dust mask may help but I'd use a full rubberized cartridge respirator and goggles . Don't forget  disposable overalls and gloves. :D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 12:42:10 PM »
 You need a HEAVY duty log splitter and shear them up, I know a guy that did that.  Steve
Timberking B20 12000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Dino setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader