The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Hillbilly Deluxe  (Read 1252 times)

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
Re: Hillbilly Deluxe
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2017, 10:07:34 AM »
I havent ruled it out.  For now, im working on max temp.  I can always open the door and blast the pile with my leaf blower for 40 seconds to clear out the swampy air.   blows all the dust off and makes for a cleaner pile going into the trailer.  Its pretty windy here throughout winter so baking the cages for a few days then letting them air finish works.  I just need to make more cage bins.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
Re: Hillbilly Deluxe
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2017, 12:32:06 PM »
It dons on me that liability insurance coverage for such a fire hazard would be far more than any profits from trying to sell plans, kit etc.  So i might as well share with you folks. 

I did a very simple burner from a 100lb propane tank (mfg during ww2!) that still uses the rocket style horizontal draft pipe under the wood.. But also has a vertical stack.  This can be intake air or exhaust based on where the fire is.  It can draw from the drying chamber or from the sky.  It can also vent the burning gasses from the fire to the sky or to the box. 

Yes, i realize this has some extreme risks that im working out.  A series of damper baffles and screens for temp control and spark arrest is in order and ill show pics of what i come up with when i get it all worked out.  Basically adjusting baffles and the location of the fire dictates whether its a lower heat from ground level or a very high and fast heat from up high.  Im considering it as drying mode vs heat treat mode.  A mixture of the two is probably going to be most effective. 

Ive also got a pretty clever passive dehumidification in mind from junk. 

I insulated and panelled the walls and have gotten the interior surfaces up to 120f using on the bottom burner with combustion air coming from the drying chamber.  The ceiling cant be insulated until it is roofed and the doors still need some poly iso and weatherstrip.  Id say i can get another 20f from insulation and feel like the 160f target is going to be a reality. 

I still havent made a trip to the store yet.  Everything was on hand.