The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: What type of finish for a cremation urn?  (Read 296 times)

Offline coalsmok

• Full Member x2
What type of finish for a cremation urn?
« on: November 15, 2017, 10:06:53 pm »
My wifeís mother passed away Monday.  Per her wishes her body was donated to science and we will be receiving her cremated remains after a few weeks.
 I volunteered to make a wooden box or urn to bury the ashes in after we get them back.  My choice of wood is either wild cherry or black walnut.  I prefer the cherry since it has been in the house for most of the year and is a little easier to work with and has a warmer color. 
  My main question is what type of finish would last the longest within reason, not that I expect it to ever see the lights of day again but still want to put forth a good effort.  My first thought was a few coats of spar varnish on the outside and a coat of paint on the inside to help seal it up.  Epoxy may be a better choice but I have only used it once on wood and that was a coat of fiberglass resin to seal up a bee feeder that I made.
 Does anyone that has made one of these have any pointers?

Offline Savannahdan

• Supposed to be retired.
Re: What type of finish for a cremation urn?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 04:35:01 pm »
This is something I plan to do with some of the wood I've cut and will be kiln drying.  Do a search and you can find the recommended dimensions of the urn needed for the size of person you will have ashes for.  I know of one fellow who did one and he used a jewelry box design but with access through the bottom.  I'm not sure if he sealed it with caulking/glue or just screwed the bottom in.  I tend to like a not so shiny finish on the boxes I do.  I've used Danish oil, spray lacquer and wipe-on poly.  Some folks like the high glossy look which if not done right can show a lot of sanding lines and sawdust left behind.  Look on Etsy and you'll find quite a few urns but be careful since some of them are for pets.  Our condolences on the passing of your Mother-In-Law.
Lucas 10-30 Swingsaw Blade Mill, Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill

Online Downstream

• I'm new!
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 11:39:09 pm »
Unfortunately, I have had experience with this type of project a few years ago when my brother unexpectedly passed away.  It was a tough but very rewarding effort and it made a big difference for everyone.  I made mine from cherry wood that I had sawed with my mill and air dried.  The finish I used was clear gloss poly over the natural cherry without any stain.  I also carved simple detail info on the top with my router and painted letters prior to finish.  The size was approx 18" x 10" x 10".  The bottom was removable with 4 screws so the mortician could put the ashes into it and then secure it in place.  I did not seal it.  Here is a photo of finished piece.  My mom has already requested I do one for her when needed.

EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 01:36:54 am »
A close friend did a beautiful urn for my mom. He used a dark stain that faded into light on the center of the top then painted a stain glass window on that portion. The effect is sunlight shining through. He finished it with a flat spray lacquer. My sister won't respond to requests to get it back for Karen's ashes but that's another story. >:(
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 05:46:19 am »
Did the same thing for my brother.

One on the right my brother on the left his daughter.
He had her in a box at his house, I put both in the ground in the family plot.
2008 LT40 super,2008 edger, Cat telahandler, JD 5410 And can cut up to 45' long
http://www.forestryforum.com/sanbornton     NH Timberland Owners Association supporter.
And a license NH soft wood grader.
Sawing since 1987

Offline coalsmok

• Full Member x2
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 05:58:55 am »
Thanks for the condolences.
 Downstream that is a very nice job.
The size of this one is not going to be standard as there are a few sentimental things that will be going in the urn with her ashes. I will take some pictures when I am done. Right now Iím waiting to see what all is going in the box.

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 03:01:40 pm »
I have made many for my family and i use an oil finish on the wood ones.
Dad was a brick/block mason and would tell me growing up he wanted to be put in a brick up high and dry on a building.
I couldn't do that so i put him in a cement block with a Airforce emblem on it.
All his mason friends liked it :) :)
Made me fell good :)
thomas 8013 mill ,Mahindra 3540 cab tractor loader  Dump trailer  and lot of contracting tools

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 10:13:54 pm »

Here is the one that Bruno made/furnished for Andy White.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman