The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Tractor Horsepower  (Read 3296 times)

Offline TKehl

• Certified Contrarian
    • Kehlhof Ranch
Re: Tractor Horsepower
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2017, 10:21:52 am »
Should be very doable for good used tractor with 4x4 and loader, as long as you don't need a cab.

Just check the specs on the loader in addition to the tractor.  For example, there were 3 different models Deere would put on our 2755.  Not to mention aftermarket options...
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Offline firefighterontheside

• I like trees.
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2017, 10:23:42 am »
Definitely not looking new.  I bought the l245 that I have on ebay of all places about 15 years ago.  I bought it for 5000 and then had to pay about 800 for shipping from Canada.  It has been a great tractor.  It looks like it rolled down a mountain side, but it runs flawlessly.  I am thinking I will get at least 40hp.  I know my tractor is just as good now as it was 15 years ago when I bought it, but im curious what I'll get for it on trade or private sale.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota L245DT
Stihl 025 and MS291

• I like trees.
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2017, 10:25:24 am »
Cab would be nice in the winter, but I think it would be a nuisance most of the time.  I showed my wife one I found yesterday that had heat, AC and a stereo for about 35,000.  She was not impressed.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota L245DT
Stihl 025 and MS291

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • made 70-10 and still feelin pretty darned good!
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2017, 10:58:50 am »
8540 Kubota, cost me 30gs in 2007 with 8'bucket, pallet forks.
2 days ago moved a bunch of 21' white pine 14 to 18 small end 2 at a time.
Had to put it in 4wd to travel up a slight incline.
front tires sagged a bit.
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo
241 acres of woodland

• I like trees.
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2017, 11:06:43 am »
That sounds like a bit of overkill for me, but impressive.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota L245DT
Stihl 025 and MS291

• I like trees.
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2017, 02:59:38 pm »
Ianab, I think a log arch is definitely a good idea too.  I have a guy I work with who is a big welder guy.  I think I will have him help me make something.  I want the loader to lift stuff on and off of mill and trailer, but I dont want to be carrying logs for long distances on the loader.  I saw your post of the NZ pine tree.  Ive got some big southern yellow pine that I need to cut down and bring to the mill.  The bigger one is about 30" diameter.  I hope to cut these pines into 6x6's for a future expansion of my woodworking shop.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota L245DT
Stihl 025 and MS291

Offline TKehl

• Certified Contrarian
    • Kehlhof Ranch
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2017, 04:59:51 pm »
If loading the mill is the primary usage of a bigger tractor, it would be a lot cheaper to get a loading arch, use some timbers as ramps by the mill, and use the tractor you have to parbuckle up the ramp.  If mobile, I would substitute metal for the wood, but same concept. 

You would save enough to buy a good 3 point winch setup to.   ;)
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Offline mills

• Full Member x2
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2017, 06:39:37 pm »
Another option would be to look around for an older wheel loader. Most people I've seen that moved logs very regularly with a tractor had it over-loaded at some point. Dad is on his second front end rebuild on his 4610.  :-\ He kept his track loader in the woods, but mostly used his tractor around his mill. And a ... I borrowed it a few times.  ;D

Offline mike_belben

• Pulp Friction
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2017, 07:02:11 pm »
Bobcat made articulated machines that'd take a SSQA and lift a car.  Swinger, wacker neuson, volvo, case, IH, steiger or steiner i think .. There were quite a few.   Out here farm tractor based forklifts were common at mills.. Looks like a ford or case industrial tractor spun backward.  Pick up 5k and go offroad.  Theyre cheap, like 5 grand or less.

Id put an arch on your tractor and get a second piece of slightly different equipment better suited to loading. 

Fwiw, nothing beats a wheel loader with forks and a hydraulic thumb. 

Offline Puffergas

• Puffergas
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2017, 07:45:05 pm »
For many years we had an old truck with a fork mask on the rear. Worked good and was a blast to make. I think the mask was rated for 8 ton.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, IHC 300 Utility, Timberjack 225D, Burg Bandsaw mill

• I like trees.
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2017, 07:56:56 pm »
Parbuckling is worth researching.  My concern is moving the mill as I'm pulling on the log with the tractor.  A winch attached to the mill will not try to move the mill as it's coming up the ramp.  The arch is something I need to do either way.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota L245DT
Stihl 025 and MS291

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2017, 09:04:38 pm »
Do you move your mill? I don't,so I sawed the top off of two hardwood trees,6 inches across,to make them flat. These are a little higher than my mill. I put my logs on top of these than I roll the logs onto the mill with a peavey. I lay down some ľ inch flat stock to go from my flat top logs to the mill. Some make a big hinge. It's time to make some flat top logs. They are all rotten.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Andries

• LT30G24
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2017, 09:10:23 pm »
. . .  I want to stay with a farm type tractor so I can keep using my 3 point devices and I dont want it so big that I cant drive around in the woods between trees.  I am not gonna have an all out logging business, but I want to be able lift logs onto the mill and unload my trailer or a trailer of someone who brings me logs to saw.  I'm thinking of a budget of about 15,000.

That price and those details fit my machine perfectly.

It's a Ford 545D.
65 hp. Loader lifting capacity 5000 lbs.
Starts well in the cold and has been a good machine.

The chunk of cement on the back end of "Betty Ford" will be replaced with some cast-iron wheel weights and fluid filled rear tires.
That frees up the 3 point hitch and the PTO.
Almost any kid will run a chore for you - if asked an hour before bedtime . . . .

Offline Andries

• LT30G24
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2017, 09:12:42 pm »

A grapple does a great job of unloading trailers with fenders, or from inside a truck bed / dump trailer.
Almost any kid will run a chore for you - if asked an hour before bedtime . . . .

• I like trees.
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2017, 09:20:44 pm »
That would certainly fit the bill.  Only problem is that I'm planning to sell the tractor I have to help pay for the new one.  I don't think the Ford would meet my other tractor needs.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota L245DT
Stihl 025 and MS291

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • There's a lot more to it.
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2017, 10:30:45 pm »
Most tractors with a farm heritage, both big and small, have loaders designed with round hay bales in mind.  That's why some really big farm tractors have the same lift capacity of some relatively small construction tractors.  It's all about designed use.

Ford, New Holland, John Deere and maybe others build certain tractors and loaders as crossover equipment, to be suited in both an agricultural as well as construction environment.  I've looked at several, and I have a New Holland that can lift an amazing amount of weight, and it is designed with heavy duty rear end, heavy duty front end, hydraulics, etc.  Deere M series are also strong, and with their loader can lift big weight.

Strong loaders and hydraulics are fine until you break an axle or two, which I did a couple times lifting with a tractor not designed for it.  Generally speaking, 4wd tractors have a heavier front end and are a little more robust.

Hobby Hardwood Alabama.com
LT40 Diesel Hydraulic, Stihl 028, MS440, MS660, 2 Kilns

• I like trees.
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2017, 12:31:03 pm »
I keep thinking about that 545D and how it would be great, but I need to have a PTO and I read that most skiploaders donít have them.

Right now Iím hoping to find a Kubota L3750.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota L245DT
Stihl 025 and MS291

Offline North River Energy

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2017, 05:01:11 pm »
Quote from: mike_belben

Your issue will realistically come down to the front axle capacity.  Knuckles and balljoints or kingpins are inherently weaker than an articlated machine with two straight axles.  Its why wheel loaders never have a front steer.  Even the old houghs had a solid front and rear steer.

For a time, Clark/Michigan offered an all-wheel steer loader, and built a similar front steer chassis and drivetrain for Massey Ferguson. Nice little machines if you can find one.

http://www.lislesurplus.com/misc/470-massey-ferguson-4WD-loader-1968/
---
I'm currently rebuilding a mid 80's Ford 545 industrial, equipped with Pto and three-point hitch. That configuration may not be as rare as you think.

Regardless, if I read correctly, you don't really need a new tractor, you need a stronger loader.

Given the number of hours you're likely to put on it, maybe do as Mills suggests and shop for an 'obsolete' bucket loader. The market value is limited, as they're no longer good for production, and too big for homeowners.
Granted, you could put a few thousand into it while you work out the kinks and plug all the leaks, but once you get past that hurdle, you'd have a hard time wearing it out, if all you do is tote logs around the yard.

I've seen respectable Hough 30's and 50's on Craigslist in the 3 to 6k range, depending on year and condition, and a neighbor has a flogged but fixable Massey that could be had for scrap value.

I'd make you a sweet deal on a Michigan 125A. Needs a lot of work, but then you could lift your Kubota, along with your mill and the log you're sawing, all at the same time. Not to mention the bleachers filled with sawmill groupies :D

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2017, 06:57:28 pm »
The kubota M series are more heavy duty than the L series.  My kubota M5640 can lift between 2500 and 2750 pounds.  It is 56 HP.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

• I like trees.
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2017, 07:33:37 pm »
Thanks guys.
Iím thinking smaller than the Michigan.
I would love the M Kubota, but I think itís a bit big for what my dad would use it for.  We will share it and it has to be useable for him too.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota L245DT
Stihl 025 and MS291