The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Tractor Horsepower  (Read 3364 times)

Offline firefighterontheside

• I like trees.
Tractor Horsepower
« on: November 08, 2017, 05:37:50 pm »
I'm thinking of getting a bigger tractor.  I want to be able to use the loader and lift a log about 9' long and about 27" diameter.  Does anyone know in general how many HP I need to do that.  I'm assuming around 40 or 45.  Thanks for any help.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota L245DT
Stihl 025 and MS291

• I like trees.
Re: Tractor Horsepower
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 06:10:16 pm »
This is probably one of those questions that gets asked all the time, but has no clear answer.  I did a search, but didn't ind what I was looking for, then I googled my question and found a post here that asked about the same thing.  I know a skid steer would be better, but that would mean having two machines, which is not in the cards.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota L245DT
Stihl 025 and MS291

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 06:31:25 pm »
I suppose on level ground?
I do that with a 40hp NH with ease. 9 feet is not very long.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
  • Engineering analysis-just sittin thinkin about it
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 06:53:17 pm »
HP really does not have much to do with lifting capability. What matters most is the tractors weight. Higher hp tractors tend to be heavier, but not necessarily so.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 06:59:19 pm »
  One of the reasons you won't get a clear answer as to what HP is needed is because it varies by year and model and is more a weight & sturdiness issue. My JD2355 4x4 from the late 80s weighs much more than a newer tractor of the same HP, (55). Horse power is needed for running PTO and hydraulic stuff while weight and sturdiness are needed for heavy loader work.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 07:00:54 pm »
Piney, you type faster than me.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 07:04:51 pm »
80 or 90 horse, and that will work for most logs.
How about a nice John Deere.  ;D

With a winch too, and attachments. You can do a lot. Don't forget the cab with heat and AC.
2008 LT40 super,2008 edger, Cat telahandler, JD 5410 And can cut up to 45' long
http://www.forestryforum.com/sanbornton     NH Timberland Owners Association supporter.
And a license NH soft wood grader.
Sawing since 1987

• I like trees.
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 07:07:39 pm »
I know weight is needed, but my 1980ish kubota L245DT will not pick up a big log and the rear end will not lift up either.  Adding more weight to the back is not gonna make any difference.  It's a great tractor, but it's only 25 HP.  Thanks for the replies.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota L245DT
Stihl 025 and MS291

• I like trees.
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 07:10:41 pm »
That's a hell of a tractor.  It might be a bit out of my price range.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota L245DT
Stihl 025 and MS291

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 07:17:45 pm »
I know weight is needed, but my 1980ish kubota L245DT will not pick up a big log and the rear end will not lift up either.  Adding more weight to the back is not gonna make any difference.  It's a great tractor, but it's only 25 HP.  Thanks for the replies.
  If the loader is sized properly for the tractor it won't lift much more than it can handle.

• I like trees.
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 07:59:43 pm »
That makes sense. 
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota L245DT
Stihl 025 and MS291

Offline g_man

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 08:11:03 pm »
A red oak log 27" in diameter and 9' long weighs about 2300 lbs. You will need a good rugged tractor.

Offline Knute

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2017, 08:40:39 pm »
If you are sort of poor like me, you could use an Allis D-17 like I have. It will lift the log you mentioned with no problem. About 60 hp.

Offline mike_belben

• Pulp Friction
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 08:45:21 pm »
With lift rate not specified, the issue isnt horsepower, its diameter of the lift cyinders and the pressure setting of the relief valve.  8hp could lift that log no problem, just the same as itll make 34 tons or force to split it. 

Your issue will realistically come down to the front axle capacity (well.. And how strong the trans housing is if itsna frameless loader.)  Knuckles and balljoints or kingpins are inherently weaker than an articlated machine with two straight axles.  Its why wheel loaders never have a front steer.  Even the old houghs had a solid front and rear steer.  Look at how low the rating is on telehandlers compared to wheel loaders or forklifts of similar size.  Steer axle is why.

2300lbs is heavy for a skid steer unless its a big'n.  compact track loader territory.   

Old crawler loaders otoh... 6k no problem and theyre cheap

Online TKehl

• Certified Contrarian
    • Kehlhof Ranch
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2017, 09:53:59 pm »
Front wheel assist is very nice for loader work. At a minimum though, you want something with power steering.  No power steering + heavy loader = Popeye arms.   :D

More details would help.  Budget?  Will this be for farm  use as well?  If you don't need 3 point and PTO, an old backhoe or industrial loader can be had pretty cheap that will have good lift capacity.
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2017, 11:45:10 pm »
Would a sturdy log arch work for moving heavy logs with your current tractor?

https://logrite.com/store/Item/tractor-arches

Lot cheaper than a tractor that will pick up 4,000+ pounds. As long as you have reasonably flat ground your little tractor would tow that arch with a decent size log slung under it.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2017, 05:29:48 am »
That's a hell of a tractor.  It might be a bit out of my price range.

You might be surprised, Less $$$ than a new truck.
2008 LT40 super,2008 edger, Cat telahandler, JD 5410 And can cut up to 45' long
http://www.forestryforum.com/sanbornton     NH Timberland Owners Association supporter.
And a license NH soft wood grader.
Sawing since 1987

Offline PA_Walnut

• Full Member x2
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2017, 06:00:54 am »
This is some very good info!  8)

My tractor is 65HP. I regularly lift BIG stuff up to about 4,000 or so. However, I can feel the strain on the front when I do. Even though power steering, the turning feels strained, the chassis is loaded and it feels generally uneasy.

Replaced all the fluids in the front axel with heavier oil and change often, but I expect it to wear 5x faster than a casual-use machine that hauls bunny-tails and powder-puffs.  ;D :D

Always caveats and trade-offs. My machine is a GREAT general, all-around beast (Kubota M62) with powerful loader, 4WD, backhoe, ROPS and FOPS protection, 63HP, etc.

Great all-around machine, but something 1/4 the price can lift more. Skids and track-loaders tear things up. Tractors not so much.

Pick your poison and work it's strengths.

I use mine every single day: moving logs and slab wood, forking pallets and lumber stacks, digging to plant trees, brush removal, even skidding and forwarding a quite large timber job down and out to the landing: naysaying onlookers were astounded to see me coming down the hill with 32"+ oak logs in the grapple.

Thinking of shimming the hydraulics a little to coerce a little more lift outta'er!  smiley_chop
Curling that beech log made it groan.

With lift rate not specified, the issue isnt horsepower, its diameter of the lift cyinders and the pressure setting of the relief valve.  8hp could lift that log no problem, just the same as itll make 34 tons or force to split it. 

Your issue will realistically come down to the front axle capacity (well.. And how strong the trans housing is if itsna frameless loader.)  Knuckles and balljoints or kingpins are inherently weaker than an articlated machine with two straight axles.  Its why wheel loaders never have a front steer.  Even the old houghs had a solid front and rear steer.  Look at how low the rating is on telehandlers compared to wheel loaders or forklifts of similar size.  Steer axle is why.

2300lbs is heavy for a skid steer unless its a big'n.  compact track loader territory.   

Old crawler loaders otoh... 6k no problem and theyre cheap
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe

• I like trees.
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2017, 09:30:12 am »
Lots of great ideas here.  I want to stay with a farm type tractor so I can keep using my 3 point devices and I dont want it so big that I cant drive around in the woods between trees.  I am not gonna have an all out logging business, but I want to be able lift logs onto the mill and unload my trailer or a trailer of someone who brings me logs to saw.  I'm thinking of a budget of about 15,000.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota L245DT
Stihl 025 and MS291

Online Crusarius

• Lost in....
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2017, 10:10:29 am »
I have a Kubota L2800. the loader is not up to the task plain and simple. I don't think HP is what you need I think frame is more what you should be looking at. I am pretty confident my L2800 vs a comparable M series Kubota the M series is quite a bit more rugged and has more lift capacity. If you are looking at brand new tractor with loader 4 wd power steering and no real frills your starting about 23k for an M series.

My L2800 is the short wheelbase version. I don't care for it. It has nicer turning radius but longer nose which makes maneuvering in the woods a pain with the loader. It is still a good tractor but I kinda wish I kept my B8200 and bought a bigger M series.

Live and learn :)
I knew what I thought I meant.