The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Machine for S4S and T&G?  (Read 2484 times)

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • My timberframe blog
Re: Machine for S4S and T&G?
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2017, 06:58:29 am »
Tkehl, I "would like" but not a hard requirement on the width.  If I could at least machine 8" wide material that would work too.  4" wide is no good, because 2x6 would definitely be a requirement, and 2x8 finished material would be a want.

Jeff, thank you so much for your offer.  I will take you up on that when we can.

I'm going to get some education here before I make any decisions.  I have to consider my space availability in my mill shop(my woodmizer is inside) and how much real estate it would take up, and power requirements versus what's available.  I don't plan to make material day in and day out, but as my milled material air dries, I can run batches though as desired, making flooring, T&G, or S4S boards.  I have milled mostly beams up to now for building timber frame(for me).  But I'm planning to do more T&G and S4S in the near future.  I don't mill full time.  On average 3 days a week.  Some weeks more,  some weeks when have to be away from home, less.  It's just me and my buddy John and I'll be losing him after next summer.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • There's a lot more to it.
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2017, 08:18:32 am »
How easy is it to S4S random width lumber with a molder? 
Surfacing various widths of stock is something we routinely do to reduce waste.  Or do you surface top and bottom, and only one edge?
Hobby Hardwood Alabama.com
LT40 Diesel Hydraulic, Stihl 028, MS440, MS660, 2 Kilns

Offline TKehl

• Certified Contrarian
    • Kehlhof Ranch
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2017, 08:56:44 am »
They really won't handle random width.  Better to group by size.

I could see surfacing 2 sides pretty easy.  I could also potentially see surfacing 3 sides with the right machine, but mine wouldn't like it.  Would need the right feed rollers etc.
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Offline longtime lurker

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2017, 01:25:59 pm »
Ive been known to skip plane 3 sides random width through a throughfeed machine... park the left cutterhead out wide and let the rights do a jointing pass. Obviously therr are limits to how much jointing occurs before the workpiece kicks sideways but it's okay.

Even with digital sizing you don't want to be changing sizes any more than you have to, so batch run is still better. How random is random? My material tends to only vary by shrinkage rate... we cut set sizes green to mould to set sizes dry.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Offline woodworker9

• Elite Concrete Raising Co.
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2017, 09:12:29 pm »
As Jeff says, you should always look at all options. Used equipment is always something you should consider. As with any choice, there are up-sides and down-sides to both sides of the equation.

With that said, I respectfully but strongly disagree with Jeff's implication that Woodmaster (or, for that matter, Logosol) equipment is not made to run "all day, every day." We have thousands of owners who do just that. The 4000 is a new machine in the line but we've put our nearly 100 years of institutional knowledge into making it a machine that will run hard and last for years.

I would never claim that the 4000 will "run circles" around the machines Jeff mentions, because I don't have first-hand knowledge of those machines. Nor, I suspect, does Jeff have first-hand knowledge of the Woodmaster 4000. What I can tell you is that the 4000 will run material as fast as a couple of reasonably healthy and hard-working guys can keep up with.

Will

After reading your comments, and re-reading mine, I decided that I wasn't saying what I wanted to say, so I deleted most of the post.  No offense was ever intentionally intended.

Brad

If you ever want to take a ride up and learn about 3 phase, I'll be happy to spend some time with you.

I wasn't suggesting the 4" Woods that my friend has for sale as a solution to your problem, but just as an option to learn more about the vintage molders.  A lot of these vintage molders, like 8" Mattison's, sell frequently for a couple grand or less, but there is always a learning curve, and my experience with all my vintage machinery is that I just expect to take each and every one apart and do a full rebuild before putting them back into service.  That may or may not suit your needs or desires.

Cheers.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Offline thechknhwk

• Senior Member x2
    • Story of the Trees
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2017, 11:28:37 am »
Brad I'm sure you are already aware, but the logosol is rated up to 10" in width.  I find much over 8" however and the top planer head dust extraction plugs up.

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
  • Never throw an unopened log on the burn pile.
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2017, 01:16:33 pm »
I sent for more information on the WM4000.  From the picture, and that is all the info they have on line, it looks very similar to the Logosol.  For me, a must have feature of a 4 head moulder is vertical adjustment for the side heads and horizontal adjustment for top and bottom. If it doesn't have both, I won't waste my time with it.  My reasoning is simple. I once operated a Stetson Ross XL that had neither and a setup that took an hour on the Vonegut, Mattson, Paulson or Weinig would take 3 or 4 on the XL.

Edit to add:  Even in a "hobby" shop where high production is not a goal, one has better ways to spend their time than fiddling around with frustrating setups that should be easy.
1992 LT40HD

The winds of change are blowing at hurricane force and I don't like it but good shall come even though I see not how.

Offline SlowJoeCrow

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2017, 06:16:39 am »
I just received the fold-out brochure in snail mail, it has a few more pictures and a bit more information on the machine.  It looks pretty attractive to me, but like I said before, I have no experience with 4 head molders. :D :D  Yellowhammer needs to buy one and report back ;D ;D