The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Craftsman Electric Chainsaw I.D ?  (Read 264 times)

Offline ~slivers

• I'm new!
Craftsman Electric Chainsaw I.D ?
« on: November 04, 2017, 10:51:55 pm »
Would anyone know the model of this old Craftsman chainsaw ? I'm wondering if these early models were made by Poulan and if the parts would interchange with newer Poulans. any information would be greatly appreciated !

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
Re: Craftsman Electric Chainsaw I.D ?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 11:26:02 am »
Is there a number starting with 358? That would indicate a Poulan. It could also be a Remington, forget finding parts for those.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline ~slivers

• I'm new!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 05:03:07 pm »
Not sure about the numbers a guy has it listed on the classifieds, I have a few of the Poulans I use around the house, the newer versions have plastic housings so I'm thinking the aluminum housing of the old school saws would be much better for chain/blade alignment, if I can make parts from the newer saws work on the older one's I would pick it up.

Offline dougand3

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 05:37:46 pm »
The color scheme looks like Roper, who made the Gas Craftsman 3.7/18 in 1970s-80s. Maybe they made electric, too. Agree with sawguy - you never will find parts and parts off this 1970s electric saw won't fit new electrics. Can't see an Al housing making bar/chain alignment better. Either your studs are secure in their plastic or metal threads or they aren't.
Husky 272xp, Husky 272 on Jonsered 630 case, Husky 55 (x4), CraftsPou 4218, Stihl 011AVT, Zenoah G2500

Offline ~slivers

• I'm new!
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 11:49:12 pm »
I found what looks like the same saw over at chainsawcollectors.se. with a model number of 315.34660, they say Ryobi made them for Craftsman. when it comes to aluminum vs plastic it doesn't take much to be a whole lot better, some of these plastic bodied chainsaws tend to throw the chain, when you tighten the chain to keep that from happening it skews the blade off to the right, an aluminum housing is more rigid and won't flex like that, it's the main reason I'm interested in this old school aluminum version.