The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Trying out a Dyna processor  (Read 584 times)

doghunter and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
Trying out a Dyna processor
« on: November 03, 2017, 01:31:38 pm »
I rented a Dyna SC-14 processor for a few days to get my mountains of wood caught up. It has a 37 hp Kohler, and it's doing pretty well with the nasty wood I'm feeding it. It does struggle to feed crooked wood on the conveyor chain, and crooked cuts from those same crooked logs want to climb out of the split chamber. If it was mine some modifications would be in order😊 I've only put about 4 cords of mixed hardwoods through it, I think it would do a solid 2 cords an hour but I'm loading it myself with my skid steer, and having to trim up some of my wood when I pull it out of the piles as well. If I have one other complaint thus far it would be that the live deck doesn't hold much, not a full cord of 8' wood. Not a big deal if someone is feeding you all say, but working by yourself every time you get a rythym going it's time to stop and load the deck again. Overall a very nice machine, I'll have a hard time bringing it back😊
Too many irons in the fire

Offline Stoneyacrefarm

• Farmer/Service manager
Re: Trying out a Dyna processor
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 02:07:17 pm »
Keep me posted on your progress with it.
I'm close to getting the same model with a diesel in it.
A few too many projects going right now to pull the trigger but it will be soon.

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 02:32:46 pm »
The Kohler seems to have plenty of power. I see they offer it with a Cat 34 hp diesel? I'd be leery of one of those, the small Cat "perkapillars" don't have a very good reputation.

Online Pclem

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 05:51:19 pm »
I've got the sc16 and like it. I used to have the blockbuster 14-12. It was a good machine too, but slower than this one. I'm not sure there is a remedy for crooked wood other than multiteks grapple feed. That's the big problem with those machines, finding nice enough wood to put through. If you get the dyna, I think you'll be happy. They're a good company with good service. Good luck.
Dyna SC16. powersplit. supersplitter. firewood kilns.bobcat T190. ford 4000 with forwarding trailer. a bunch of saws, and a question on my sanity for walking away from a steady paycheck

Offline Gearbox

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 06:17:45 pm »
You better get busy I may run out and have to burn propane or buy from you . I can't keep up . Another load out today . Just need to find time to get in the woods . Call me if you need an operator for your skidsteer for a day .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer and not near enough time

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 02:08:06 am »
Well, I probably put about 20 cords through the Dyna. Overall, I'd say a very solid machine, well constructed and thought out for the most part. A few things I would change very quickly if I owned one- The face of the splitter ram has what looks like round rivet heads to jeep the wood from sliding off it. They don't work, it needs something with some bite. Keep in mind, thus is a 2014 model, some of this stuff may be different now.
     The feed chain has cleats on it to grab the wood, I don't think they are nearly tall enough. Bumpy woodf will often bridge in the feed trough, and the short cleats don't make contact.
     The live deck chain doesn't have anything for cleats, etc. So nothing bites the wood. I would add cleats. Also, when the live deck is set up, wood can fall off of the back, it would be nice to have some short uprights just to keep logs from rolling off, this would also enable you to load more wood on the deck.
     The item that probably caused the most irritation, it the way the infeed comes into the sawbox/splitter chamber. The feed chain wraps around the drive sprocket, about 6" back from where the saw bar comes down. To keep the wood from falling off the feed, they have a piece of round stock going across to stabilize the end of the log. The problem is, it commonly catches bumps and knots and causes the log to not feed, and then you either have to turn the log or get the end lifted so it can feed over this. It also doesn't do a very good job of keeping the log from falling into the splitter chamber when you're getting to you last cut. Not cool at all when a 14" diameter, 34" block of oak falls into the splitter chamber before you can clamp it👎 That issue, and the log infeed were the 2 things that I did the most fighting with. I was very pleased with the power of the barsaw, and the harvester chain it runs stays sharp way longer than regular chainsaw chain. The splitter also had really good power. How about 8 out of 10, overall well pleased with the performance if thus machine. FWIW, to my eye the Brute Force machines look like a pretty close copy of the Dynas, one of the owners told me at a show that they were one of the biggest Dyna dealers, then they started building their own. Once I had a good look at this Dyna, and was able to compare them, I don't think there's much difference other than paint color😊

Offline hedgerow

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 06:06:34 pm »
Barbender
Clamping and feeding  not perfect logs is the same problem I have with my homebuilt processor I wish when I built it I would have made a shuttle grapple for feeding and clamps the logs as in my area we don't have a lot of what I call pole wood. Mine may have a shuttle grapple installed on it before the winter is over . I cut a lot of 24 inch locust and like you say it is no fun pulling a 24 by 32 piece out of the splitting chamber.   

Offline Ivan49

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 08:06:53 pm »
Well, I probably put about 20 cords through the Dyna. Overall, I'd say a very solid machine, well constructed and thought out for the most part. A few things I would change very quickly if I owned one- The face of the splitter ram has what looks like round rivet heads to jeep the wood from sliding off it. They don't work, it needs something with some bite. Keep in mind, thus is a 2014 model, some of this stuff may be different now.
     The feed chain has cleats on it to grab the wood, I don't think they are nearly tall enough. Bumpy woodf will often bridge in the feed trough, and the short cleats don't make contact.
     The live deck chain doesn't have anything for cleats, etc. So nothing bites the wood. I would add cleats. Also, when the live deck is set up, wood can fall off of the back, it would be nice to have some short uprights just to keep logs from rolling off, this would also enable you to load more wood on the deck.
     The item that probably caused the most irritation, it the way the infeed comes into the sawbox/splitter chamber. The feed chain wraps around the drive sprocket, about 6" back from where the saw bar comes down. To keep the wood from falling off the feed, they have a piece of round stock going across to stabilize the end of the log. The problem is, it commonly catches bumps and knots and causes the log to not feed, and then you either have to turn the log or get the end lifted so it can feed over this. It also doesn't do a very good job of keeping the log from falling into the splitter chamber when you're getting to you last cut. Not cool at all when a 14" diameter, 34" block of oak falls into the splitter chamber before you can clamp it👎 That issue, and the log infeed were the 2 things that I did the most fighting with. I was very pleased with the power of the barsaw, and the harvester chain it runs stays sharp way longer than regular chainsaw chain. The splitter also had really good power. How about 8 out of 10, overall well pleased with the performance if thus machine. FWIW, to my eye the Brute Force machines look like a pretty close copy of the Dynas, one of the owners told me at a show that they were one of the biggest Dyna dealers, then they started building their own. Once I had a good look at this Dyna, and was able to compare them, I don't think there's much difference other than paint color😊

These machines are made about 40 miles south of me. I n 2014 I went to the factory and met the owner who showed me their machines. There is or was another set of feed chains that come with for the live deck that has a post about 8 to 10 inches tall on them. He said at that time if the customer wanted them they would send them with the machine. What this set is for is loading the deck without have a loader to do it. The place is a small place but I was very impressed with their parts inventory

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 09:46:32 pm »
Before I ran this machine, I thought those self loader feed chains would be nice, but now I can't see using one of these without some kind of loader. You'd spend all off your time getting the log on the machine,

Offline Ivan49

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 11:19:35 pm »
Before I ran this machine, I thought those self loader feed chains would be nice, but now I can't see using one of these without some kind of loader. You'd spend all off your time getting the log on the machine,

My point was it could be used in an upright position with a loader. Just reverse the up rights to the start position and it will keep the wood from falling off. What you said about crooked wood was my biggest concern. He ran a really crooked cherry log thru and it went fine but it was a smaller chunk.

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 01:37:26 am »
Gotcha, Ivan. It wouldn't be a big deal at all to add some type of stakes, I was thinking about sticking some saplings into the live deck support legs, I just never got around to it😊

Offline Gearbox

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 08:50:14 am »
After seeing Brute Force at the TPA show . I think he may be the first one to try a angled deck like on my BT 6870 . Pile on a half cord and go . It was something I thought about for a long time to figure out [GOD talked to me one Sunday morning when I should have paying attention to the sermon ] NO kidding this happened .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer and not near enough time